Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Bug or stupid?

Hi all,

Flying a lot with the Mirage those days in v4. What I realized when flying in NZ for example: at startup (cold & dark), the compass card of the middle HSI is aligned and shows the correct bearing. However, after some flying, it gets more and more misaligned (I guess that's a correct behaviour). How can I adjust it? I am not able to find the clickspot for it... It is a little bit cumbersome to calculate the offset all the time...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

11 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Hi all,

Flying a lot with the Mirage those days in v4. What I realized when flying in NZ for example: at startup (cold & dark), the compass card of the middle HSI is aligned and shows the correct bearing. However, after some flying, it gets more and more misaligned (I guess that's a correct behaviour). How can I adjust it? I am not able to find the clickspot for it... It is a little bit cumbersome to calculate the offset all the time...

It should auto-align as it has the auto-align thingy which I don't think you can turn off (if I recall, the switches to turn it off only *look* like switches).  You *could* shut off gyro drift in your Options...should stop it.  I seem to recall there's a config setting for that too?  Or you could keep aligning it manually with the knob. 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The problem is: there is no "manually alignmend with the knob" or at least I am unable to find this knob...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

In the FSX realism unchecking ''enable gyro drift' will solve this problem.

And/or change the HSI in the aircraft.cfg file to a (correct) slaved one by changing the 1 into a 3.

[direction_indicators]
direction_indicator.0=1,0

5 minutes ago, J35OE said:

In the FSX realism unchecking ''enable gyro drift' will solve this problem.

And/or change the HSI in the aircraft.cfg file to a (correct) slaved one by changing the 1 into a 3.

[direction_indicators]
direction_indicator.0=1,0

Does that automatically slave it to the magnetic compass?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

As the magnetic compass is a totally independent instrument without any connection to any other instrument the answer is no, not in FSX and not IRL. It's slaved to a magnetic sensor (flux gate).

BTW, the little knob to the right and below the HSI is what turns the compass card to align it with the magnetic compass.  Again, you shouldn't have to do this with an aircraft that has built in sync like the Malibu Mirage is supposed to have.  The other option is to click the 'D' key.  (Honestly, fixing the aircraft.cfg is probably the wisest choice.)

26.jpg

Gregg Seipp

1 minute ago, J35OE said:

As the magnetic compass is a totally independent instrument without any connection any other instrument the answer is no, not in FSX and not IRL. It's slaved to the internal gyro(s).

Okay, thanks.  Good.  Just so long as it works. 

Gregg Seipp

2 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

BTW, the little knob to the right and below the HSI is what turns the compass card to align it with the magnetic compass. 

Which one? the one with the yellow arrow?

1 minute ago, J35OE said:

Which one? the one with the yellow arrow?

Yeah.

Gregg Seipp

Just now, J35OE said:

Nope. That's the course selector knob!

D***, you're right!  (Should have listened to that little voice in the back of my head.)  I guess you're stuck with the 'D' key with this aircraft if you want to sync it manually.  I'll fix my .cfg file and do a little test. 

As an aside, there are a number of tiny little things like this Carenado could do to make this really good airplane great.  Fixing fan, brake and engine sounds, fixing gyro auto-coordination, integration with 750/650 GTN and 3rd party weather radar, adding DME instead of two transponders.  The FDE is superb and it looks like a real nice airplane because that's what it is...a high-flying, relatively high-performance beautiful airplane.  Little things would make it similar to its real world counterpart.

Gregg Seipp

Ok, thanks for the replies so far. This means, I can either click on "D" to align it instantly by hand or I can change the config file so that it is slaved to something else. Will this "slaving" result in a jumpy compass card? I hope not. Maybe "D" is the best option, not entirely "real" but at least it will re-align. Was not aware about this key so far, thanks for the heads up!

Greetings, Chris

'D'is IMO the worst option as it will make the HSI jump each time you press this key.

I strongly suggest to simply disable the gyro drift in the realism menu. It automatically will make the HSI a slaved one.

No jumping etc, with this option.

Another good thing is that it works with all planes

I'm lazy about manually (turning the knob) adjusting the altimeter every time I get a handoff from center, so I just push 'B' each time. And since I'm pressing 'B'', I just go ahead and press 'D' at the same time. That way I always remember to correct the gyro drift before it precesses  too much.

:-)