Sign in to follow this  
FedorKlootwijk

Return to the field, diversion to alternate

I know it has been brought up before, but I feel it is important enough to start a new topic. At the moment there seems to be no possibility to ask for a return to the field in case of trouble (technical or medical emergency/distress). For instance with an engine failure after take off, it would be nice to have the possibility to report this to the tower and ask for vectors to return to the field. As far as I have discovered, the program now only can give vectors to the destination airport of the flightplan.

A second wish would be the possibility to divert to a planned or not planned alternate.

Both would add a lot to IMO already the best ATC software on the market.

Fedor

You can ask for vectors to any runway or ILS at any airport.  

There may not be a SayIt Phrase to do that.  Is that the request, to add a SayIt phrase?

Diversion to alternates are not fully supported at this point.  Lots of great ideas on the future enhancements list.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I tried a dozen times to get an approach to another airport than the destination airport, but no joy.

For instance: I have a flightplan filed LGAV-LGTS. After takeoff I want to return to the LGAV. So I ask: KLM146 (inbound at....feet) request radar vectors for ILS to runway 03R at Lima Golf Alpha Victor, but no answer on the tower, departure or approach frequency. The recognition is OK (correct,green text) and there is immediate respons on the frequency when I ask for a radio check. The only way to accomplish what I want is by changing the flightplan to LGAV-LGAV and file it in the air and then ask for vectors again. 

What am I doing wrong?

Fedor

I was actually just thinking this the other day.  I got hit with engine failure on takeoff in XP unexpectedly which was a nice surprise, but couldn't figure out how to return properly.  I ended up just doing so without ATC support.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Hi Dave,

I tried once more to get vectors to an airport that is not in the flightplan as destination airport, but no joy. I don't use Sayit, but do everything by voice. As stated earlier the phrase is recognized, but there is no response from the controller. Maybe you can have a look at it.

I also have a second question: when I call the tower ready for departure holding short of the designated departure runway, I always get a cleared for take off, never a line up and wait. Is that normal?

Thanks again,

Fedor

Fedor,

I'll have a look at the vectors request.

Yes, a Lineup and Wait is only given if there is departing or arriving traffic on the runway.  You will then be given Lineup and Wait until the runway is clear.

Dave