Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Are you happy with P3Dv4?

I wouldn't see it that strong, Jeroen. Texture exp 10 isn't something a bunch of crazy people took out of the hat to double your fps or such. It's been approved by LM  on their own forum where they stated they only didn't integrate it into the UI (contrary to Texture exp 9 where's the checkbox) as most of the present-day hardware systems just are not fit for it yet.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I know it has been approved by LM but that doesn't have to mean it's any good. :happy: The differences are so subtle that imho it simply isn't worth the trouble.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Seems like a total waste of time and resources imho.

I don't use any tweaks and neither stuff like PTA with P3D v4. I like to keep things simple nowadays. You can tweak and edit for years but whatever you do you will get used to it all in no time so I rather stick with what I get out of the box and with specific addons (Orbx, AS).

Well J,

I suggest you rethink that statement when it come to PTA. I looked at lots of screenshots and dismissed it as I was happy with the look of P3d with AS16 REX soft clouds. 

PTA was free back around march time for P3d v3. So one day I thought I would try it. I DL the tophat preset. 

Result= A completely new looking sim. TO the point it could have been just that, a new sim. 

The first thing I will buy after buying v4 will be PTA. 

You're making a huge mistake not having PTA. I huge huge loss in realism. 

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Ok, now you got me interested, David... Sigh, yet another plug-in to look into. 

I cannot say what it looks like in v4 as I dont have it yet, but I can say just like you I did not think much at all looking at screenshots and I would not have paid for it for sure to try it out.

The first flight I did after changing a few things to my liking = OMG, It was a huge shock as my expectation was = I am wasting my time!

PTA is in every way a sim changer.

https://www.sass-projects.info/thopat/

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

This is before and looks great.

Look at the hills or should that be 1 hill that fades away.

Also look at the VC looks OK! but it has little depth.

thpat.jpg

Now look at the "hills" see how you can see its not one, the depth of field has changed hugely and that just sitting on a runway.

Now look at the depths in contrast in the VC.

thpa-after.jpg

Hope this shows it better to you?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Hope this shows it better to you?

Wow, it sure does. Look at those blueish mountains! More contrast between light and shadow... (A bit too dark maybe.) This is the Tophat preset? I might give this a try but I just looked at some video's and all those settings make me sick. I might like a good preset though!

Yer and that effect from the air over mountains is breathtaking. 

I  use a preset. I found a couple of things not to my taste and after a little reading know what to change. But no way am not using a preset. :biggrin:

5 minutes ago, J van E said:

Wow, it sure does. Look at those blueish mountains! More contrast between light and shadow... This is the Tophat preset? I might give this a try but I just looked at some video's and all those settings make me sick. I might like a good preset though!

yes and the one I use.

Ok, and now I read about ENVTEX... Geez, you are out of the loop for some 10 months and the world has changed completely...! :blink: (Still happy with P3D v4 btw: let's stay on topic. :cool: )

Yer I bought that but I won't use it in v4. Binning it. 

AS16 with cloudart + REX soft clouds is what looks best to me.

5 minutes ago, J van E said:

Ok, and now I read about ENVTEX... Geez, you are out of the loop for some 10 months and the world has changed completely...! :blink: (Still happy with P3D v4 btw: let's stay on topic. :cool: )

Me being the one starting this thread feel free to elaborate.

Lots of interesting things in here and anything that will make you even more happy I consider great info ☺️

Richard Åsberg

Guys rather than endless 'its amazing" comments can you tell us fence sitters exactly in what way v4 is amazing excluding the fact its OOM free.. that's a given

I remember when FSX SE vs FSX came out, there was a whole bunch of side by side videos that highlighted the advantages but so far and I find it strange there has not been one single side by side vid V3 versus V4. We can only assume that there is no difference between the two platforms except the OOM factor.

I dont want to see back slapping posts but more technical posts showing off the exact difference between 32 and 64 bit other than OOMS

• Upvote 1

ZORAN

22 minutes ago, zmak said:

Guys rather than endless 'its amazing" comments can you tell us fence sitters exactly in what way v4 is amazing excluding the fact its OOM free.. that's a given

I remember when FSX SE vs FSX came out, there was a whole bunch of side by side videos that highlighted the advantages but so far and I find it strange there has not been one single side by side vid V3 versus V4. We can only assume that there is no difference between the two platforms except the OOM factor.

I dont want to see back slapping posts but more technical posts showing off the exact difference between 32 and 64 bit other than OOMS

I asked that question not long ago. Here

3 hours ago, J van E said:

I know it has been approved by LM but that doesn't have to mean it's any good. :happy: The differences are so subtle that imho it simply isn't worth the trouble.

What?!

texture size exp is the single best thing in v4. Sharp ground textures to the horizon. 

2 minutes ago, swiesma said:

What?!

texture size exp is the single best thing in v4. Sharp ground textures to the horizon. 

I will give it a try then. The pictures in the posted link looked all the same to me...