Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

Dynamic Lighting V4

Hello,

I've been running my P3Dv4 setup the past few months with a configuration that includes Dynamic Lighting ON, along with 8xMSAA. Along the way I had tried running with 4xSSAA, but started to encountered difficulties, as my GTX960 usage seemed to be running quite a bit in the upper 90%'s, with occasional crashes. At that point, I dropped down to 8xMSAA.

I've been reading much in the forum about DL placing heavy loads on various systems. So I'm wondering if I might get both visual & performance improvements by shutting off DL, and then moving back up to 4xSSAA. I do most of my flying during daylight hours, so would DL be unnecessary, and I could get back the 4xSSAA to sharpen up the visuals.

Or am I simply 'barking up the wrong tree'? I realize I could simply try it out and see what happens, but just wondering if there's information out there that could save me hours of possible frustration <grin>.

Regards,

Mike

10 hours ago, orbmis said:

Hello,

I've been running my P3Dv4 setup the past few months with a configuration that includes Dynamic Lighting ON, along with 8xMSAA. Along the way I had tried running with 4xSSAA, but started to encountered difficulties, as my GTX960 usage seemed to be running quite a bit in the upper 90%'s, with occasional crashes. At that point, I dropped down to 8xMSAA.

I've been reading much in the forum about DL placing heavy loads on various systems. So I'm wondering if I might get both visual & performance improvements by shutting off DL, and then moving back up to 4xSSAA. I do most of my flying during daylight hours, so would DL be unnecessary, and I could get back the 4xSSAA to sharpen up the visuals.

Or am I simply 'barking up the wrong tree'? I realize I could simply try it out and see what happens, but just wondering if there's information out there that could save me hours of possible frustration <grin>.

Regards,

Mike

Whats your diaplay resolution?  Since I have a 4k 30hz monitor I'm not able to use DL. Even with AA set to off. 
My GTX970 seems to be the culprit here :(

11 hours ago, simbol said:

Lots of people have two settings, one for daylight and one for nightlight.

So they switch SSAA on and off accordingly.

Hello,

Would the separate settings for daylight/nighttime indicate that Dynamic Lighting has little/minimal effect during daytime (no effect re: sunlight)? If so, then I could surely go for SSAA during daylight, hoping that dropping the DL would compensate for the add'l overhead from SSAA.

Thanks again,

Mike

PS-2 I'm currently running at 1920 x 1200 (16:10) resolution. 

16 minutes ago, orbmis said:

Hello,

Would the separate settings for daylight/nighttime indicate that Dynamic Lighting has little/minimal effect during daytime (no effect re: sunlight)? If so, then I could surely go for SSAA during daylight, hoping that dropping the DL would compensate for the add'l overhead from SSAA.

Thanks again,

Mike

PS-2 I'm currently running at 1920 x 1200 (16:10) resolution. 

It seems that is the case, but of course the best is to test how your system reacts.

Regards 

Simbol 

I find even with DL ticked during the day, running 4xSSAA is just fine.  I have a 1070.  However DL ticked at night with 4xSSAA is a frame killer so need to drop to 8xMSAA

Thomas Derbyshire

OK,,, testing on my side shows that 8xMSAA with DL off, keeps usage on my GTX960 up there in the 90's when in aircraft view. Hasn't crashed yet, but I'm a lil worried if I fly for extended periods in that view. Visually things look pretty good, but I'm guessing I may need to reduce some sliders in order to reduce the likelihood ad on the vidcard. The hard part for me may be deciding which slider to pull back. Ideas?

All in all, I can't see how I can somehow squeeze SSAA into this environment.

Thoughts anyone?

Thx,

Mike