Sign in to follow this  
Chock

I bet you didn't know this could fit through here...

I visited the Eiffel tower in May.  Security was tight, had to go thru two checkpoints to get in, emptying my pockets and getting wanded, although the security guards were pleasant and smiling.  I wonder, however, how they would apply security to an airliner coming thru?  Their smiles might wane, and dozens of guards would be required to wand the plane.

Great shot, great landmark.  I've been up the Eiffel Tower twice, in 1984 and in 2017.  You really feel the presence of world travelers there, and you really feel like you are at the epicenter of civilization.  At certain times of the week at night, the tower sparkles for a few minutes with little white lights.  I managed a picture of it while I was there in May at the suggestion of my tour director who had taken us on a nighttime trip of Paris landmarks.

Some don't like France, I loved my experience there every time I have visited.  A few French words and the people's hearts will melt for you, I was greeted with nothing but smiles there.  Just remembering to say a gentle "Bonjour" will light up a meeting with the French, it's probably my favorite culture in Europe due to the romance of it all, and that's a compliment coming from an Italian.

John

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, flyforever said:

How do you know that the tower is dimensioned properly? It's been a long time, but I don't remember it  being that wide, wide enough for a dc8 with some room to spare.

tony

It is placed on photorealistic terrain, so the four feet are actually on the feet on the image, you can sort of see that a bit on the last pic, where the real tower's shadow is apparent on the ground texture. If you have been to it for real, you will know it is flipping huge, I was there last week actually but didn't go up it because I already did that a couple of years ago, and I didn't particularly like it, it is a great view but you can feel it shaking as you walk up the stairs to the first tier, which is a bit unnerving lol, and it is a hell of a climb up all of the steps which is why most people  get the elevator, but they're pussies lol.

It also looked right size-wise as I went under it in that DC-8, i.e. there seemed to be about fifty feet to spare either side of the wingspan or at least there would have been if I had been dead centre instead of about two feet clear on the right side. This tallies with the real dimensions: 243.5 feet wide at the base of the inside edges of the arch and 141 wingspan for a DC-8.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 hours ago, Chock said:

Well, not flown it much to be honest, since it is only just released for P3D V4, but, it works okay for me (most of the time). Some people are reporting CTDs on the JF forum, but of course that could be user error, although I have had one CTD in P3D V4 myself right after take off when it was intercepting the magenta line for the flight plan. JF have said they couldn't reproduce it on their test computers but would look into it anyway, but it looks to me like it might still have some issues. there is some suggestion it might be a gauge which is causing the problems, and certainly there is something amiss with the FMC, as the fonts are a bit screwed up on it, apparently their L-1011 Tristar (now also allegedly P3D V4 compatible) is also having similar issues.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback, Alan.