Sign in to follow this  
jmig

FPS and CPU/GPU loading in PD3 V4.1

On 24.10.2017 at 6:44 PM, denali said:

Does Process Lasso change AM on the fly? 

Yes it seems so, whereas batch file can't handle all the exe's from Prepar3D.exe array by definition.

Edited by Dirk98

Do you remove the entries from exe.xml when you put them in your .bat?

Bats do everything perfect because they are just the console starting the apps. So what you describe doesn't make sense.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...there are sometimes 'child' exe's launched and managed by an app, not the console, but you'd be starting the app in those cases anyway, if you know what you are doing.

Basically what we are saying is we have exe.xml and in there we start exe apps with the path "c:\joystick.exe" and after we double-click the sim icon the sim starts up and during that time invokes "c:\joystick.exe" as if it was the target line of a link or shortcut. And so joystick.exe has all its threads running in the AM of the sim. Instead we remove that entry from exe.xml and start it with the bat and we give it a minimum of two LPs away from the main sim cores. There's nothing PL can do better, only match it. Since the bat method guarantees the exe is presented with the LPs of the AM before it starts it gets a two LP CPU. Some exe's rely on other apps so we have to arrange those instead. A bat can start the sim wait a bit and start the exe app later if we want to get clever and need arrangements for time. Generally that's not needed, a SImConnect app should be able to pick up the sim running as soon as the server starts so the exe app can start whenever. Start simple, make a bat that starts notepad.exe and check it's using the LPs you desire in Task Manager first, then transfer that understanding to starting any exe apps that run with or alongside the sim.

...apps that present you with their own setting for AM don't need running with an AM we should always use the AM setting in the config if the app provides one - should go without saying but there's good reason not to present those apps in a pre-restricted environment. They should work fine having said that, but just not as well behaved depending on what they do.

I'm so sorry it took too much of your valuable time explaining exe.xml. Of course I removed all exe entries from there before messing with the batch file. 

I ended up with using a very convenient facility in SIMstarter though, it is much easier, there is a simple interface for creating launch rules, and SIMstarter knows exactly when to start dependent exe's (from former exe.xml) after Prepar3D.exe fully loaded. SIMstarter can be completely unloaded after execution like a batch file can.

Edited by Dirk98

I

7 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

I'm so sorry it took too much of your valuable time explaining exe.xml. Of course I removed all exe entries from there before messing with the batch file.

I'm not explaining for your sole benefit chum, it's a public forum, not a PM.

Anyhow apps like SimStarter and ProcessLasso I'm all for as they make the workflow easier. But PL certainly has its uses after you tied down a proper setup with a simple batch. Most just need the simple batch and the rest can take care of itself, but it's handy to have in some circumstances.

5 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

as_audio.exe, LAAS-service.exe, LAAS-proxy.exe, AOCService.exe

As I mentioned already the above exe's can't be handled by a batch file, abybody who runs ASPv4 (on a networked pc) and FSL A320X can easily check and see it. Whereas with PL they can be managed, and I usually give them 2LPs. But I agree, perhaps they do not have to be managed, or don't matter much.

Thanks

...you're advocating wonderful apps that's great but I'm simply trying to remain focused on the techniques the simplest methods with the know how intact are what we need to know.

2 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...you're advocating wonderful apps that's great but I'm simply trying to remain focused on the techniques the simplest methods with the know how intact are what we need to know.

I shouldn't have mentioned SIMstarter I know, anyway the batch file does exactly the same. Ok, no SIMstarter, disregard, just discussing a batch file!! ))

22 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I'm not explaining for your sole benefit chum, it's a public forum, not a PM

Of course, I wrote that just to show that I followed closely all your suggestions (for everybody) in this and other threads. Just a few pages back you already mentioned about exe.xml for the third time I think. So you didn't write all that in vain, I followed and comlied!! ))

Thanks!

Edited by Dirk98

I still say you have to make the batch first, test it that way, know what's what. After then configure your PL for the same setup and test it out. Start with notepad and task manager

Here setting notepad to start with 1001=9

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Notepad" /affinity 9 "C:\Windows\notepad.exe"

(errors and omissions expected)

No harm done mentioning apps that do this kind of stuff, or purport to. But the fact is all we actually need is a single line of text in a simple text file, we can even drag and drop a shortcut to it if we want to store it elsewhere and we can drop it on the desktop like the icon for the app if it has one. Then we have the same thing, only with our desired AM. With two LPs.

We can get complicated and put a few lines in start everything up that way. Simple text; if we can follow the rules of batch files. Not something everyone want's to do.

5 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

However Process Lasso can handle them as I wish to. Turns out batch file doesn't work for some processes whereas PL seemingly does work for all.

There's all kinds of processes not just exe apps like our example joystick.exe. With PL you can corral all sorts of anything, more or less, onto any kind of LP.

Another leap of mis-understanding unfortunately. The only stuff running will be the sim and the joystick and the weather/traffic/panels .exe, everything else will be asleep. Except PL, monitoring the way threads are starting and stopping, when there's no need.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SteveW said:

The only stuff running will be the sim and the joystick and the weather/traffic/panels .exe, everything else will be asleep. Except PL, monitoring the way threads are starting and stopping, when there's no need.

Yes, and that is why I changed to batch-start following your advice.

Funny, my first batch I tested was exactly the same with notepad.exe, I had googled it somewhere.

Then I launched P3D with it.

@echo off
rem ASN
cd /D F:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
start /affinity FE Prepar3D.exe
exit

And so on.

Edited by Dirk98

Add necessary timeouts to the above for all your exe's and you're good to go.

timeout /t 5

PS: but don't forget about SIMstarter if you're addicted to using it like I am. You can do exactly the same in its Run Manager. Many simmers can't imagine launching P3D without it btw. Therefore I suggest those to check out Run Manager facility in it. You'll get exactly what you want like with your written batch.

Edited by Dirk98