Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Erratic ILS Capture

Sorry, this must be as old as FS9 itself. I have been 'flying' FS9.1 for 2 years.  I have a number of add-ons, and have FSUIPC3.9.  Mostly I fly Dash 8 Q400 and have stripped out all the planes I don't use to save memory.  Recently, after a period of non use, my ILS and glideslope capture has been eratic.  I fly at the correct altitude and speed, and am correctly configured, but if the GS LOC captures at all it seem too late and results in a rapid (and therefore high speed) descent.  When I view the Flight Details in FS9 the graphic shows the aircraft passing through the green GS 'cone' and only descending when it is almost through the top of the slope.  I figured something had corrupted, so deletd all, the FS9 files and reinstalled with only marginal success. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Hi threebears. Firstly, I hope you haven't removed any default aircraft or their gauges because many add-on aircraft 'borrow' from them extensively. Secondly, which Dash 8 Q400 model & panel are you using and at which airport(s) does this happen?

Hi A32XX

Thanks for the reply.  I have removed a number of AC (I keep everything, including the original installations so I can always go back).  However this problem appeared long after that.  I use the AFS Dash 'suite' - 100,200,300 and 400 models and they have their own panels.  It's happening everywhere.  I just did a short Exeter to Bristol and the same happened: approached at the right speed and height (below GS) set in the AP.  It located the centre line (eventually), and the glideslope, but the ALT didn't follow the glideslope until well after the little green 'bug' had passed the selected height. In other words it all ended in an useemly dive to the runway.  I think I may have to delete everything and reinstall everything bit by bit.

Hi threebears, a couple more questions: Have you edited or modified the AFS Dash suite in any way? If so, one of your modifications or additions may be to blame. If not, are your airports the default ones or add-ons? If they're add-ons you may want to check for duplicate AFCADS as a start, I use a utility called scanafd.zip from the AVSIM library and it's sometimes suprising what it'll find - and where!

Hi again A32xx.  First, an apology for brain fade.  The Dash software is by Virtualcol, not AFS (which is a scenery software designer).  No, I haven't changed anything.  All the airports are default.  I'll have a look at the scanafd.zip in thr library.  I wonder if it might be the FSUIPC needing to be reset.  I'm sure I'll get it sorted with application of time...and tea.

Thanks for your help.:biggrin:

Hi threebears, your aircraft and airports should both be OK if they're unchanged. I doubt that FSUIPC would disrupt your Dash 8's autopilot at all, however these things can happen if you use time acceleration above x4 normal, or have your FPS set too high - try limiting your FPS to half your monitor refresh rate, normally 30FPS, if it isn't already.

If it was working satisfactorily before and you haven't changed anything else, it might just be worth trying an uninstall and reinstall of the VCol Dash 8 addon, in case some file has become corrupt.

Bill

Edit: Ooops you may have tried that already (just re-read your first post!)

In general by default FS9 airports have the ILS back course enabled. As you approach for this shared frequency unless you are on narrow centerline you could be picking up the incorrect ILS "ghost" signal. Check the ident on your HSI and as you work the pattern see if it changes. Frequently the ILS placed on each end of a runway shares the frequency which can result in this condition.

Using ADE or other airport editor go into the ILS properties and disable the back course.

Hello everyone who's answered / suggested etc.  Much appreciated.  I deleted everything (incl all add ons) again, more thoroughly this time, and reinstalled from disks and saved files.  It's taken the best part of the day but I've almost got it back together.  AS far as I can tell it's all working as it should except I seem to have lost the ability to select reverse thrust from the MadCatz (Saitek) Throttle Quadrant.  It's working from the cockpit levers, so the function is 'there' but not from the quadrant.  Puzzling that the 'assignments' don't seem to offer a Reverse Thrust option, although I thought that's where I did it from last time.  At least the ILS is working now. Hrumph. :huh:

Oh dear.  In a mess.  Turned it on this evening and so much wasn't right I decided on a complete reinstall.  Now, even with nothing 'added' (just the basic FS2004) I get a kneepad on screen which won't close.  Never had that before!