Sign in to follow this  
Jeezy776

Sun/Shadow issue?

I've been having some trouble with the lighting (shadows?) and pretty much the sun as a whole.
As you can see from the link below there's a significant change in lighting just by paning my camera slightly to the left or right. There's like a point whereas if I look east there's extra sunlight, and when I look a bit more to the south it goes away again. All shadows and sun effects just vanishes, or as if there's an extra sun somewhere that pops up and casts sunlight. :s 
Has anyone else encountered this before and is there a fix?
I've been using PTA and ENVTEX but tried reseting to backup and the problem still persists. I've also tried removing P3D completely and reinstalling it. 

https://imgur.com/a/D4zid

If I remember correctly, it does that to not have to render shadows outside of your POV, saving performance. It's a feature, not a bug (I think)!

But it's quite annoying though to have the sun disappear if I want to for instance test the oxygen on the NGX becasue I have to pan the camera to the left ahaha.. :(

I notice this all the time and it is quite annoying and in immersion killer but it's been like this for 'ages' already and there is no fix. Better get used to it...

It's a long-time gripe.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

It's been around since FSX - I get that in FSX:SE

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Just now, HighBypass said:

It's been around since FSX - I get that in FSX:SE

I've never seen that in FSX once in my life, I recently switched to P3D - would never turn back to FSX though

Jeezy - I'll have to investigate - thinking about it I certainly get shadows disappearing within the cockpit, sorry.

EDIT - why should you think of going back? Especially now that 64-bit software's out there. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

52 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Jeezy - I'll have to investigate - thinking about it I certainly get shadows disappearing within the cockpit, sorry.

EDIT - why should you think of going back? Especially now that 64-bit software's out there. :cool:

Yeah it's really weird to see shadows disappear in the cockpit - whilst being in the cockpit :D

Yeah no FSX is uninstalled and 64-bit makes all my dreams come true <3

• Upvote 1