Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

STEAMVR PREVIEW COMING TO WINDOWS MIXED REALITY, REQUIRES HIGHER SPECS

Ever since I saw the Samsung odyssey VR HMD and its specs, i've been interested, but since that headset uses Windows windows mixed reality, essentially nothing I have would be compatible with it at first, or potentially, ever!

I thought that was a pretty big misstep on the part of Microsoft and its partners, and it seems they agree. It also seems you will need a Nvidia 1070 or greater, to join the club.....

And will Oculus permit access to its walled garden, as well?

Excerpt: https://vrworld.com/2017/11/11/steamvr-preview-coming-windows-mixed-reality-requires-higher-specs/

SteamVR is essentially an extension of Steam, allowing a virtual hub for playing and purchasing VR applications. Since its release with the HTC Vive (and eventual compatibility with the Oculus Rift), SteamVR has been a favorite among VR enthusiasts everywhere.

With the debut of Windows Mixed Reality headsets on PC, many were left wondering if Mixed Reality headsets could support the same software, and it looks like the answer to that question is a resounding yes. SteamVR is coming to Windows Mixed Reality headsets in an official preview state on November 15th, 2017. Full, official compatibility is somewhere further down the line, likely depending on the progress of the beta testing, feedback and development.

In addition to SteamVR and its library of games, Windows Mixed Reality headsets will also have access to Microsoft’s own Store and Cliffhouse, which will function as a storefront for VR experiences and a hub for VR, respectively.

The difference in required hardware specs between Windows Mixed Reality and SteamVR is quite different, however..........

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hiflyer,

I too am very interested to hear a review from any of our fellow flight sim enthusiasts of a comparison of the Samsung Odyssey and other WMR devices with their previous Oculus or Vive systems - especially image clarity, SDE reduction, and general frames per second performance - any stutters...

I realize that many of us aren't going to spend the extra bucks for a new system just yet but maybe there are a few reviewer types that get a unit for evaluation. I would like both FSX/P3D and Aerofly FS2 to be part of the eval.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our wonderful aviation community

Dave W. 

Since my original post, there's been quite a bit of movement regarding cross-compatibility: Also, the consensus is that the new mixed reality devices and the Samsung Odyssey hmd in particular, provide a very noticeable bump in image quality, finally providing legible text. (and instruments?)

On 11/20/2017 at 11:08 AM, whitav8 said:

especially image clarity, SDE reduction, and general frames per second performance - any stutters...

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/03/samsung-hmd-odyssey-hands-on/

2 hours ago, whitav8 said:

@HiFlyer,

One of us "needs" to get the Samsung - who is first?

Thinking about it....

I'm fairly happy with the clarity in the cockpit (particularly in AFS2 - not so much with the A320 EFIS) just using SuperSampling = 1.5 (and I still have just a DK2), but outside the cockpit clarity would be really great! It seems that the Samsung WMR with its resolution bump and perhaps a better pixel arrangement along with SuperSampling might really make a great improvement.

Dave W.