Sign in to follow this  
Helix1250

Random heading and alt interaction

I just wanted to as if anyone has seen their FO dial in heading and altitudes which have been said by PF3?

As far as I’m aware PF3 FO is set to off when used via MCE, so there should be no interaction with the autopilot MCP. This morning I was given a departure heading of 035, which I set. After that I did not check my heading as I was waiting for PF3 to guide me on to my FP, but that never came.  After asking for the logs to be checked Dave at OCS said heading was 065, I can only think that my FO altered my heading after he read back the clearance.

i have seen the FO adjusting headings and altitudes when really it should be me that needs to do it, and else seen this happen?

Rob

I've had it sometimes that the MCE-FO picked up some noise over my headset and took that for a heading or a track.

It's normal.

Please read the following thread

By design, this is what is expected to happen...

On ground, FO will dial COM1, heading, altitude and squawk as per clearance

When airborne, it depends whether auto-pilot is ON, in which case you are expected to dial things, or flying manually, in which case FO handles dialling.

That's how it works in the real world, unless you're flying GA aircraft solo.

Thanks for the feedback, I forgot that I am responsible only when AP is on. Ill leave it to my FO next time and just check its set correctly.

It explains why everything went a bit squiffy :)

Rob