Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Rick Piper's Hawker Siddeley HS.748 RELEASED!

WOW! Where did this thing come from? (Shows how much I know.:>) ) Just came home from a gig, went to the AVSIM forum to see what was up--there's this long thread about a Hawker Sidley... Humm. looks interesting,,think I'll have a look before hitting the sack..Fantastic.. I'm still at it....Thanks so much Rick... I'm hooked.. :9 Bill

Guest JSPuonti

Hey Rick!First of all, thanks for a great plane! I'm sure you've already noticed the abundance of praise on this and other discussion boards, though :)Secondly, those two screenshots were taken by slewing the aircraft off the ground simply to make note of the textures. That flight wasn't going anywhere fast ;) Now then, a couple of things worth talking about:AUDIGYThe only problem I've run into thanks to my Audigy 2 ZS is the "squeal of death" where the computer crashes and reboots, but I've worked around this by using the Argosy soundset. It means I don't get engine startup sounds (your panel / engine code probably handles soundfiles differently than the Argosy), but other than that it seems to be alright.I haven't seen blurries with or without the 748 - I'm more inclined to think that the blurries are caused by FS9 settings which would normally not cause blurries, but when combined with your highly detailed and memory hungry 748 "break the camel's back" so to speak. It's clear that 1 GB of RAM, which would normally be sufficient with reasonable settings, is not enough for those settings and your 748 on top. I have 2 GB of RAM on my system and for the first time in who knows how long managed to get FS9 to run out of memory, although only after loading and re-loading the various repaints followed by a long flight. There's no denying that the 748 requires plenty more memory than your average add-on and I wouldn't blame the Audigy for blurries.So, in a nutshell: no, not everyone with an Audigy has problems with blurry textures.INSTALLERSI'm one of "those" people who can deal with a manual install and never install anything directly to FS9's installation directory. It's just something I always do, no matter who the developer is. Aside from the sound issues caused by my Audigy 2 ZS I haven't ran into other problems, so it's obvious that a "manually install" does not, by default, cause problems. I DO understand that it's the obvious first thing to ask for since errors CAN crop up when you deviate from the norm - as you no doubt noticed when I was giving advice to Bob I.However, in doing a manual installation I found a problem with the application the beta team has either missed or not deemed important enough to warrant a fix. Here is what happens:1) Install base package (1/3)2) Install repaint package #1 (2/3)3) Install repaint package #2 (3/3)4) Run the uninstaller for any of these packages5) Notice that no matter which one you chose, repaint package #2 has been uninstalled (the uninstaller popup which asks you if you're sure you want to do it even states "Texture Pack 2")6) Realize that no matter which one of the uninstallers you now run, the other two packages are NOT removed (the uninstaller runs, but does nothing)My theory on why this happens is that although you've split the package into three distinct parts which all need to be uninstalled separately, you've either decided or been forced to (by the installer software) give each of the three packages the SAME uninstaller EXE (uninstal.exe). In other words, instead of having an uninstaller EXE for each package in the FS9 main directory, you only have one - that of the last package you installed (which, if people follow your instructions, is the second repaint package since that is installed last).This means that regardless of which uninstaller you run first, the shortcut points to an uninstaller which is wired to remove repaint package #2. Once the uninstaller is done, it seems to check if the uninstaller file is required to remove anything else (which it is) and doesn't remove itself. Due to this accessing the shortcuts to the other two uninstallers doesn't produce a "Can not locate EXE file" error, but as the uninstaller runs it realizes that the files it was meant to remove have already been removed and does nothing (but doesn't remove itself, as it thinks it's required for removing the other packages).This means that if someone has installed all three (or even two) of the packages and decides to uninstall the 748 for whatever reason (it COULD happen :D ), they can't. Not with the included uninstallers, anyway. They will need to find a third party program that scans the aircraft and main texture directory for files belonging to the 748 package and removes them, OR manually install the 748 to a temporary directory to see which files belong to it, then remove these files from their FS9 folder by hand, OR - if they're clever enough - re-install and then uninstall each package one by one (thus having access to the correct uninstal.exe each time).And let's not forget the fact that the uninstal.exe the 748 installer places into the FS9 main directory overwrites Flight Simulators own uninstaller (some people might find this a problem).This is just one of the reasons why I don't particularly like automated installers and I hope you can see that a manual installation can be justified. I DO realize that you couldn't possibly have done this on purpose and splitting the installation package into three parts was done out of necessity and an honest wish to make it easier to download.I thought you might want to know about this and potentially find a solution for it. I was actually going to write you an e-mail about it, but since I now know you are more or less active here at AVSim, too, I posted it here. This way more people will see it and hopefully less people will send you e-mails wondering what is going on :)Thanks again for a great plane!

Rick,seems the problem was caused because I switched on the lights using "L" key. I started again with dark cockpit and using the switches I have no more scenery blurries.I learned something at least.Thank you very much for your patience Francesco

Hi GuysI'm posting this on any threads about my 748 model to help people avoid the problems if possible.Sorry for your hassle.Hi GuysJust a note on a couple of known Bugs that we missed.Do not use the uninstallers as they don't work (my fault,not beta tested installer/uninstaller) :((if you use the "L" key to switch on all lights you will see texture blurring abound the 748 as the panel uses a lot of custom lighting& FS seems to get very confused.Use the seperate light switches on the 2d panel or VC and no blurries will happen.Some SB Audigy users can experience a lock up with the 748 model.To fix it substitute the sounds from another model (My Argosy works).There seems to be a problem for some users with FSUIPC causing multi keypress events.To fix do not run the 748 model as your default flight.The startup procedure in the checklist & panel manual is missing the part about switching on the LP cocks as the rpm gauges start to rise.Otherwise pretty bug free for me ;o)the other problem is over 1000 peole downloaded from Avsim but never downloaded part 2 or part 3 so cannot fly the model.It isi thought clearly marked 1 of 3 etc but who reads anything ;o)RegardsRick

Guest Dean Cross 4C

Hey, The ol' Budgie, one of the first aircraft I worked on...when I was an apprentice. Hated those big spinning things :) Will have to download :)

Guest rpjkw1155

I opted for a manual install, even though using the installer on ANY of Rick's packages does NOT give me heartburn in any way; just force of habit.I had NO problem installing nor flying the 748. One caveat, however, my so far close to a dozen flights have been from the "engines running, ready for take off" point. So far I've not experienced any problems or bugs; just the opposite. I'm really impressed with EVERYTHING about the 748. Normally most flights begin at the ready to taxi point from the gate. But this lady requires much more than all the rest, so I've began reading the manual with the intention of flying her "by the numbers" in all future flights. I'll be referring back to previous posts to solve any bugs I might encounter, but I expect I'll just wind up enjoying FS9 like I did when I first got it.Thanks to all for your posts and, most of all, thanks to Rick for such a winner.Cheers,Bob:

Hi Rick, Before i saw your post a bout the "L Bluuries" I did use the L key-- no problem-just so you know..doesn't seem to be a 100% problem.And, to me anyway, it's very clear at AVSIM to download the 3 parts..Thanks again for all your work..

Congratulations Rick and the development team! I've made 3 flights so far, and am totally impressed. I have had no problems (at least none that I couldn't solve be checking the manual, LOL). With all the attention to detail and the complex panel, I am amazed that my frame rates are much better than some of my payware aircraft.Dale

Dale

Hi TankerI have a really good check and think about framerate from day 1.The model has more polys than a lot of payware but has much better framerates.There are a lot of small parts missing from the VC but none that you would notice unless you where piloting a real one. Thanks for your comments. the main problem is that a lot of people have only downloaded the base pack and cant fly without the other 2 required packs.Some minor problems (some of which are noted in the readfirst.txt)and a couple of new ones from using the "L" key global light switch.But overall pretty good.I hope that people have a good read of the cockpit manual as it will cure Flameout problems i am seeing on most forums.Turn on fuel heaters & turn in engine de icing at temp below -5 oC& it will not flameout.the other one is people saying their engines blow up after 15 to 20 minutes.14,200 rpm is max continuous RPM (fly at max RPM and you will blow engines)RegardsRick

>14,200 rpm is max continuous RPM (fly at max RPM and you will>blow engines)>>Regards>RickHeheh woopsie. NO wonder I was losing my engines even with de-icing on :)

I also placed the Rolls Royce plate just above your head in the VC with the info printed on it !A i knew nobody would RTFM ;o)RegardsRick

for me, switching on the nav lights via the VC switch gives me the blurries... I still have no idea why!

Guest JSPuonti

Rick, I noticed something that I thought you might be interested in. The alternative is that I'm experiencing a user error :)In the 115v AC supply panel:1) Rotate the inverter selector to "2"2) Turn off and then transfer inverter 3. No change in the amp and volt readouts, as should be3) Turn off and then transfer inverter 2. A brief drop in amp and volt, which is fixed as soon as the transfer switch is flipped (inverter 1 takes on inverter 2's load). Works as it should4 A) Turn off and then transfer inverter 1. Amps and volts drop, since inverter 2 is already offline. As was expectedhowever,4 :( First transfer, THEN turn off inverter 1. The warning lights in the dashboard do come up but the amps and volts in the 115v AC supply panel do NOT drop, although there's no inverter online. A bug?You can also see this happening if you have the selector at "1" and reverse the order in which you take inverter 2 and inverter 1 offline.Also, no matter which inverter is selected and online, the tooltip text over the volt readout always says "000" (the needle reacts correctly though).I hope this helps :)

Hi JanneFraser Made the gauges as i don't do XML.you need to be posting this on the 748 models support forumas Fraser can answer it there.Big AlStill waiting for reply to message about your settings.RegardsRick

Guest rmce

What a brilliant aircraft!Thanks so much for keeping it freeware..its a beauty and will make me buy a nice 19'' monitor to fly it in 3D.RonMacScotland