Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Creative CDU/FMC Solution Multiple Planes

Hey guys,

I built a home cockpit designed to be as versatile as possible.  I tend to find myself most interested when I am learning different planes.  I only really started flight simming back in March but I have got to know the PMDG737, A2A C182, and PMDG747.  I am excited about the maddog md80 plus the Aerosoft CRJ and Majestic DQ400 are on my short list.  I have loads of buttons and switches for my simulator which is great but the FMC/CDU/FMS (sorry I don't know the correct terminology for each plane) seems like it's going to be a problem when transitioning from the none PMDG planes.  The easy solution right now for PMDG is the VRInsight iPad apps and an iPad mini but does anyone have any ideas for other aircraft?

I am okay with using a pop-up window to see the FMC and type in commands as I have a large monitor right in my face but running at 30hz trying to use the mouse with the stutter is nauseating at times and quite frustrating.  Plus I have some motion and vibration in my sim so it's tough to mouse click when things are really going.

I have a small wireless TV remote style keyboard on the front of my yoke that I can type with but that would still leave me with quite a few buttons to map outside of the letters on the FMC.  I looked into the CDU II from VRinsight but the solution seems quite complex and not that great.  However; I could be wrong since I have found almost no tutorials or forum posts of people actually using this method.  Although there is one on this forum with someone who seemingly got it to work on the Majestic.  All in all it seems little over the top.

I am just searching for some creative ideas that maybe people have come up with for creating more of a universal FMC.  I use P3Dv4.1 so that's why I am posting here.  If you have any solutions or ideas let me know.

Cheers,

Brian

http://www.virtualavionics.com.br

They have ios/android versions of various Boeing and Airbus aircrafts. I've used them for both PMDG CDU and Aerosoft Airbus FMGC interface without issues.  For the Q400 I'm not sure what to do actually.. Don't remember if they've built the fmc as a pop-up screen - could just drag it to an external monitor if it was... 

Good luck on your project! 

Of course and thanks for the replies.  As I mentioned I know both of those solutions work great for PMDG planes but I am asking for planes like the CRJ and Majestic Dash.  Something that can be manipulated to work with any FMC.  Assuming that's possible.

Thanks,

Brian