Sign in to follow this  
ManukauL

32-bit on 64-bit Machine

Greetings, fellow simmers

My dilemma is that I have a 2015 iMac, running Parallels Desktop for any software I have that only runs on Windows. The aircraft and sim package creators I really wish to sim with are 32-bit, but my hardware is 64-bit. Clearly I’m not tech-savvy and I’m very new to the flight-simming world. Would really appreciate advice on how to avoid having to buy a new computer - I’ve looked at X-Plane, however the aircraft I really want (best sims, IMHO) presently come requiring 32-bit Direct-X.

Flightsimware Mitsubishi MU-2, Eaglesoft Citation X, flightsimlabs A320 would be the ‘most-wanted’, but I have a list of others, too.

Thanks in anticipation of your help and or advice..

ManukauL

Hi again fellow simmers

After a bit of research, looks like my best option will be to use Bootcamp and that will give the best results and performance for P3D.  Another party said he had problems with his iMac running very hot, and hasn’t been able to resolve, so he went the X-Plane route, if I remember correctly. I’ll include my machine specs below in the hopes it may help those with similar machines and installation resolving some potential concerns...

ManukauL

2015 27-inch iMac, 4gHz Quad-Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DD3L (4x gHz) 1 TB Flash storage,, AMD Radeon R9 M395 w/2 GB

I wouldn’t reccomend running P3D v4, or even v3, on a Mac using software that replicates a windows environment. That’s just a recipe for disaster, your specs are fine if you’re willing to compromise on sliders. Due to you running a Mac, I’d reccomend X-Plane as it will run on a Mac without additional software, and your specs should handle it well if, again, you’re willing to comprise on graphics and slider settings.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

I wouldn’t reccomend running P3D v4, or even v3, on a Mac using software that replicates a windows environment. That’s just a recipe for disaster, your specs are fine if you’re willing to compromise on sliders. Due to you running a Mac, I’d reccomend X-Plane as it will run on a Mac without additional software, and your specs should handle it well if, again, you’re willing to comprise on graphics and slider settings.

I enthusiastically support what Milton Waddams said about not trying to duplicate a Windows environment on a Mac. I've never been able to get my iMac to run Bootcamp nor to run parallel operating systems. Bootcamp typically requires very specific releases of Windows to even function minimally. The idea that you're going to get good performance for P3D on a Mac is out of the question. Either buy X-Plane or get a PC. Please don't misunderstand. I love Apple products. I love my iMac. But it was never intended to run a PC flight simulator.

• Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

White I agree with @Milton Waddams that a iMac certainly isn't optimal regarding running Prepar3D, I would like to point out, that Bootcamp doesn't replicate or mimic a Windows environment! 

All it does, is making sure that you're able to install Windows in parallel with an existing OS-X, and Bootcamp helps you setup relevant drivers, necessary partitions and installs the system and makes sure you're able to utilize any special keyboard keys and functions inside Windows. These are things like webcam, volume keys and Command-key, just to name a few. 
It isn't hard to do either. I've done it multiple times, and it works quite well, in my opinion. I would certainly give it a try, if you're willing to spend some time with it. The process is automatic and guided. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

What you end up with is a Windows 7, 8 & 10, which runs autonomously on the side with OSX. Windows doesn't know about OSX and inside OSX, you can configure which OS to boot from and you're able to reboot into Windows...  

A quick guide is available here if you're interested.

I have been running both FSX and Prepar3D on a Macbook Pro using Bootcamp and Windows 7 & 10, previously without issues.

• Upvote 3

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Thanks for the advice, all of you. I can’t afford to replace the iMac; I’ve already considered X-Plane however they don’t have sims for the aircraft, or if that aircraft is available it is of lower capability.  Looks like I might have to start saving my pennies for a new PC.