Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Speedbrakes deployment sound plays multiple times

One thing I've noticed when landing is how the sound of the speedbrakes deploying is played over and over again after touchdown on some landings.

Since this doesn't happen on all landings it seems to be triggered in one way or the other by how you land. Could it be the decent rate or if both sides of the main gear touch down simultaneously...I'm not sure.

Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Not a big deal but does sound a bit weird and unrealistic hearing the sound repeating in this way so would be great if it somehow could be fixed or at least understand exactly why and when it happens.

Richard Åsberg

I've never encountered this, nor do I recall it being reported here.  Try to nail down exactly how to reproduce the problem and a few of us might try to duplicate.

Dan Downs KCRP

Really hard since I get it only sometimes but will report back if I figure out how to reproduce it.

Happy New Year 2018!! 

Richard Åsberg

Too soon to say for sure and I'll need to do some testing but I think I might have found what could be causing this.

I'm using a Saitek TQ where two of the levers are assigned to engine 1 & 2 throttle/thrust while the third lever is assigned acting as the speed brake lever.

What I'm guessing is since I'm using FSUIPC to assign one of the levers to speed brakes working as an axis, when I move it just a bit back to arm the speed brakes it will then be in an incorrect position when the speed brakes deploy when I touch down.

In the real aircraft, the speed brake handle will automatically move all the way back when the speed brakes are automatically deployed while the handle in my case lacking this automated functionality will still be in the armed position.

Not sure what the best solution to this would be if there even is a good solution without using a motorized TQ that includes the speed brake handle.

I'm sure I'm far from the only one using a Saitek TQ so how did everyone else set this up?

Richard Åsberg

Richard,

I used in the past also the Saitek TQ, and assigned like you describe.  Now i am using the Hotas Warthog, it has also an axis that i am using as speed brake lever and it acts just like your Saitek TQ.

But i never experienced the problem you have, when arming the spoiler.

Can it be that the "dead zone" between arming and deploying is just to little?

7 minutes ago, headley said:

Richard,

I used in the past also the Saitek TQ, and assigned like you describe.  Now i am using the Hotas Warthog, it has also an axis that i am using as speed brake lever and it acts just like your Saitek TQ.

But i never experienced the problem you have, when arming the spoiler.

Can it be that the "dead zone" between arming and deploying is just to little?

What you say makes sense William but I'm not sure how to adjust the dead zone between these two "states" since FSUIPC will see the axis as one single axis and where the dead zones would be at the far end in both directions. In my case I would need a dead zone setup between the armed and deployed positions.

I'm currently in the air and don't want to mess around with this at this time but will play around with it when I'm down on the ground again.

Richard Åsberg

6 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

I'm currently in the air and don't want to mess around with this at this time but will play around with it when I'm down on the ground again.

I'm in the same situation right now, will check my settings when on ground...

I have the slider on my Thrustmaster throttle controller assigned to the speedbrake axis, but I have the button immediately to the left of the slider assigned to a key command using FSUIPC and the same key command set in the PMDG Options key command for spoiler arm/disarm.  I use the same scheme for all my PMDG jets.

Dan Downs KCRP

My settings in FSUIPC for the spoiler axis:

39457909231_c074a3d382_z.jpg

In the FSUIPC.ini file it looks like: Spoilers=-16159,16383/16

A safe way indeed is to assign a button to the command "Spoiler/arm".

Thanks for the input guys!

Using a button to arm the spoilers of course is a good option. However, if possible I would like to be able to use the lever (axis) just like in the real a/c and I might have found a way to accomplish this and still be sure the lever won't interfere with arming the spoilers.

I'm trying it right now and will let you know how it goes.

Richard Åsberg

What I did worked out fine and I didn't get the sound repeating.

However there were some other drawbacks using my method so I guess I'll just assign the spoilers to the lever as I had it before and then use the mouse to arm the spoilers in the v/c rather than using the lever on the TQ.

This should do the trick as well.

Richard Åsberg

I have Saitek Yoke with a quadrant + Rudders and have set the one lever for Spoilers in FSX:SE setup. I do not use FSUIPC for joysticks.

I only pull it back a little to arm and it always works as it should. Sound is only played once and

the lever in vc is moved all way back. FS2Crew also confirms that speedbrakes applied.

Last flight yesterday and it worked this way and have always done.

Per W Sweden

16 minutes ago, PerWel said:

I have Saitek Yoke with a quadrant + Rudders and have set the one lever for Spoilers in FSX:SE setup. I do not use FSUIPC for joysticks.

I only pull it back a little to arm and it always works as it should. Sound is only played once and

the lever in vc is moved all way back. FS2Crew also confirms that speedbrakes applied.

Last flight yesterday and it worked this way and have always done.

This is exactly how I've had it for a very long time as well.

In the past, I had this issue with the sound playing multiple times every now and then but lately I've had it happening almost on every flight and hence my question in here.

Not sure what could be the reason for this. Maybe it's my TQ that is starting to fail on me. Not exactly top notch quality on these kind of plastic toys compared to my yoke from Brunner for example.

I wish there was a motorized TQ equal to my yoke in quality that could be mounted to the table in the same way the Saitek TQ is but haven't found any. Did mention this to Brunner so maybe with some luck we'll be seeing one from them down the road if enough people are asking for it to justify the dev cost.

Richard Åsberg

Even if you set a large deadzone in the "Spoiler Arm" position along the axis in FSUIPC, FSUIPC still polls the physical hardware axis position. So when the system detects strut compression and tire spin up, the Speed Brake will move to UP, FSUIPC will reread your Saitek lever and prevent it from moving and the sound will loop over and over. I have tried many ways as well to get it to deploy normally, and like you had to give up and just use good ol Shift+/... Sadly.

Good to hear I'm not alone but strange how some like PerWel above doesn't have this issue although using the same setup we have.

Richard Åsberg