Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Biting the hand that feeds you...

Guest Daviator

Recently I have seen posts on this and other flightsim sites suggesting that users bypass the installer I created for my Stearman (Stear04.zip). I worked very hard and spent many hours to make the installation as clean and easy as possible. However, due to some recommending bypassing the installer, I have heard from several users who have sprayed the files all over their computers and now want my help in sorting it out. Sorry, but I made it easy for you. If you want to mess that up then you're on your own.In addition, AVG is reporting a FALSE POSITIVE for the presence of a virus/Trojan horse. This is NOT true. When you use cheap or free av software, you get what you pay for. Don't believe me? Read this review:http://www.software-antivirus.com/program/...rus-review.htmlI double scan each and every file with Norton AV and the latest virus definitions available as do the sites where I originally uploaded the file. I'm tired of chasing these reports on this and other sites and clearing my name. It really bothers me to work so hard and produce the finest FREE package that I can only to see others offer bad advice or spread false reports. It really makes me wonder if I should continue offering freeware on occasion or just stick to my commercial projects.David Eckertwww.daviator.com"It's simple task to make things complex and a complex task to make things simple."

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I want to thank you first for all the work you've put in to make the Stearman. I think all of you who create these freeware models that we 'fly' about in are real heroes in this capitalistic age and I don't blame you for getting irritated with those of us who bugger about with things.I have your Marauder as well!Andy.

Guest Tim W

Hello David,Don't be put off and get upset by the antics of those who think they know better and decide to take matters into their own hands. You can only do your best and the rest is up to them.I think the old saying, "you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink" applies very well here!If people decide not to follow instructions and mess up their systems then it's their lookout. You can only do your best.I don't have any of your freeware releases but I admire greatly those who take the time and effort to produce quality freeware products. Keep up the good work!CheersTimhttp://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair1.gif

Guest allcott

I also appreciate the freeware, but can understand the reluctance and reticence of those who wish to not have to use an installer, especially ANY file with a .exe suffix. I personally will not download files with installers until long after all the issues have been tracked, traced, found and resolved. I make an exception ONLY for known and respected payware companies with a history of customer support. It's not to do with a lack of trust, but has everything to do with a non-transparent installation system that cannot tell me precisely what files it will add, change or delete BEFORE it does it. I have spent many hundreds of hours getting my FS system to be the way I want it, and I won't allow ANY file to change things without my knowledge, no matter how honourable the developer, or how worthy the addon.Does the Stearman include such a file, or confirm ALL files and folders that are to be modified befoer the .exe proceeds to mess with the system without the users knowledge? If yours doesn't do that, then don't use it. It's not `necessary` and the community will provide support for those who have trouble installing the `old fashioned` way, so you don't have to!Allcott

Yes, AVG has been giving me false positives with ClickTeam installers. I know they're free of viruses, and I'm tiring of AVG!!How can a company offer free virus protection? It's very "iffy", and I hope they aren't collecting user info!I've now decided to move away from AVG ... thanks for the info, Dave :)

Dave, yes, I am one that extracted the stearman to a temp folder. I am also one that got the AVG virus/trojan alert, doesn't mean I have any issues with your work, I enjoy it very much and thank you for your efforts! I just like to know what files are being installed on my system. If I could do this with Flight1 or FSD files and have them still work, I would as well. Right now I have 12 entries in my registry for freeware flightsim products that SHOULD NOT be there (not yours). There is NO reason a freeware addon should do this and it is the main reason, those people should stop using EXE files. As long as "I" have the option to point an EXE file into a temp folder, I'll run it.As for the AVG, I run 3 PCs networked in my place all with AVG and so far, other than a couple of incidents, it has run fine for the past 7 months. I am done with Norton and will never use McAfee again (wiping your HD to uninstall was not pleasent)Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

>I personally will not download files with installers until>long after all the issues have been tracked, traced, found and>resolved. I make an exception ONLY for known and respected>payware companies with a history of customer support. Then there is me..If it does not have an auto-installer, more times than not, it doesn't get installed. I guess I have no patience for these type of things. :D L.Adamson

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

I will take a FALSE-POSITIVE over a FALSE NEGATIVE everytime.I will stay with my FREE AVG. I am getting a ton of protection.Very seldom dowload anthing with a exe installer. Thank you.

"I will take a FALSE-POSITIVE over a FALSE NEGATIVE everytime."Why not get something that produces neither? ;)"I will stay with my FREE AVG. I am getting a ton of protection."From the review posted above:"AVG Antivirus is the only decent free antivirus program available, but unfortunately it's far from good enough. Our advice: Don't listen to friends or fellow net users praising AVG Antivirus. Stay away if you're serious about staying protected."

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Tim W

>From the review posted above:>"AVG Antivirus is the only decent free antivirus program>available, but unfortunately it's far from good enough. Our>advice: Don't listen to friends or fellow net users praising>AVG Antivirus. Stay away if you're serious about staying>protected."Yes well, that review looks like a bit dated. It refers to AVG 6.0 which has since had a major upgrade to AVG70 in december 2004. It mentions that updates only happen once a month, well my AVG70 updates every day it's virus definitions. I have been running it since this new version came out at the beginning of 2005 and I have no complaints. I have also been using Trend Micro's Housecall online virus checker as a back up as well. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.aspAVG seems to keep me protected. When it finds a virus or trojan it tells me and quarantines it and it also keeps my e-mail clean. Housecall confirms there are no problems.I for one have no complaints about AVG free. It hasn't lt me down yet and does not hog resources like some I can mention.Cheershttp://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair1.gif

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I'm with you Larry. The auto-installers work just fine. Over the past couple of years I've had many more issues arise from packages without an installer than I have from add-ons with. I guess if you're really worried about using the installer, just wait a few days before downloading and see if any issues arise for others. If theres an installer problem it'll be posted probably within a few minutes of the plane being released...

Guest Daviator

My installer gives the the user the option to choose an alternate directory. In addition, I NEVER reinstall existing files. I also am one of the few that offers an uninstaller. However one would think that with thousands of downloads that you have read of issues long before now. As far as using the community forums to get support for my model, it doesn't work that way. They contact me first. As for comparing free AV to a free add-on, that's apples and cats. You are relying on a free AV program to protect you data and identity. Think about it, what are they getting out of the deal? Do you think it's hobby for them to do this? I bet it's a spyware cloak. I must say the attitude in this thread surprises me and it does make me really want to hang up the freeware hat. It's just not worth the agrevation and headaches. So keep your zips and freeware AV and I'll take my "business" elsewhere.David Eckertwww.daviator.com

Guest Waltm

Hi David,I can appreciate your frustration, however try not to take it too personally. While you may be a devoted and dedicated designer (I have not tried your Stearman) the tone of your posts here are decidedly negative and possibly may put off future customers.Personally, I am extremely skeptical of autoinstallers unless I have prior reason to trust the designer. While it sounds like you are very careful and considerate in the design of your auotoinstall, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that not everyone is. -- Walt

Guest Daviator

Hi Walt, This is the first time I have posted one of my files to Avsim. I don't generally frequent this site as I find the comments here typical of the attitude. Almost as if the users here are "entitled". I started an exact thread over at flightsim.com but the prevailing attitude is far more positive and supportive. What gets me is that users feel free to make comments in pubic forums about one's work without checking with the author first. This can cause great harm to my hard-earned reputation as a designer. My website and email address is on the readme in the main ZIP file but few bother to read it first. I always thought those of my friends who have gone 100% commercial did so just for the money. I now see that that is not the case. Commercial projects bring far fewer negative comments and support issues with the added bonus of cash. Dave

Dave, hang on in there. Your Stearman is the best, and how anyone can even think of posting that they haven't tried it I don't know. Westnutt, get out of that Spitfire, you clown! You've flown the Stearman for real ... get in this one!I don't use autoinstallers out of preference as I've found too many screw-ups in the past, particularly where gauges have been overwritten. No reflection on you, or any other particular designer, it's just my preference because I like to know what's going into my system. But that's my call. Anyone who chooses the manual route and then moans and groans ought to take a long walk on a short pier.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg