Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Nice hop for a $5000 hamburger :)

Hi all:

Took the 35 to a neat little airport called Knoxville Downtown, KDXK. Beautiful scenery, rivers, lakes, no snow on the ground except in the terrain to the south, and downtown Knoxville to the west. Good airport scenery in the library. Although there is an RNAV with vertical guidance approach in the GTN, VMC definite recommended because of the terrain. Also it is a short field at 3700 ft, actually ok to get in but need to be pretty light going out. Actually not legal I'd imagine :)

The real reason for this post is to discuss the 35's CG display in the sim. The CG is shown way forward regardless of how she is loaded. I made a couple of sketches of the 35 verses the XP 25, which is a smaller aircraft. Her CG shows up about where you would expect it to be. The empty CG on the 35 seems quite a bit further aft and the cargo, tanks, and engines are closer to the CG. I first noticed this when looking at the 35 at cruise altitude where the nose is ever so slightly pitched down. Could be just the weight of the 35's larger motors. Any thoughts?

Rick

Hi Rick,

Nice ! Hah - yep - expensive burger run... I'll have to look up what the shortest field we can "practically" operate out of in the charts... We have the full AFM if you don't have it...

As far as the CG goes - no expert - the one thing I did notice - is I like the way she lands... You can actually "air brake" as the nose doesn't slam down once your mains hit like most aircraft in FS... Queue my favorite video - must have watched this a hundred times - almost hypnotic for me... Demonstrates air braking well and we can emulate this behavior with the Flysimware model... He's got his reversers engaged and spoilers out while still holding his nose up which is how I land this aircraft in the sim... Whether or not air braking actually slows you down in the sim is anyone's guess...

Regards,
Scott

• Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Not to get very far off your real topic... but just yesterday I was thinking of a new forum here titled $100 Hamburger Rides, where posts would include some short profile of the hamburger destination, screen shots of departure and destination airports, a couple of screenshots from enroute, and perhaps an image of a menu from the destination's web site...

• Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hey Scott:

Thanks for the vid. I too will watch that looking for hints. I had some trouble initially landing the 35 initially. I would come over the fence at Vref +10, watching the AoA guage, to keep the nose down and carrying it down to 10 ft (I have callouts integrated), then chopping the power and trying to ease her down. But she kept dropping like a rock and I was touching down at around -200 ft/min. Too fast. So now I slowly take the power off to Vref once over the runway and carry it until the wheels kiss, then close the throttles. Gives me around -100 or less with a long runway. Much better result. I do wait for the nose wheel to touch before reverse. 10 ft is way too high for this little bird I guess. Looking at that vid they also land long and looks like they carry the throttles pretty long.

Fun stuff

3 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Not to get very far off your real topic... but just yesterday I was thinking of a new forum here titled $100 Hamburger Rides, where posts would include some short profile of the hamburger destination, screen shots of departure and destination airports, a couple of screenshots from enroute, and perhaps an image of a menu from the destination's web site...

Great idea Frank. We just need to figure out a way to post pics easier. I'm too stupid to understand how.

Rick

1 hour ago, silverheels2 said:

Great idea Frank. We just need to figure out a way to post pics easier. I'm too stupid to understand how.

Rick

I just posted a $100 burger run in the Screenshots forum.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

While y'all are out burning your virtual money, I have to haul some of the rich and famous' posteriors around the Carribbean for a living in the Lear.

And you can, too, by the way:

Also supports "$500 Hamburger" flights (simply don't take up any contract), but as in real life, you'll have to pay for fuel and maintenance at some point.

Studying the manual is required and setting up a profile for the Lear requires XML file editing, but other than that, it never failed me in some 10 or so flights.

Non-default values I use in the XML:

2 (>L:MIT Crew Count, number)				
			3190 (>L:MIT Structural Payload Limit, pounds)				
			0 (>L:MIT AUTOSAVE INTERVAL, number)				
			1 (>L:MIT Export Last Flight, bool)				
			1 (>L:MIT G Limit Offset, number)				
			100 (>L:MIT Payload Rate Divider,number)				

9 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Whether or not air braking actually slows you down in the sim is anyone's guess...

Why shouldn't it? Angle of attack determines lift and lift determines drag.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

2 hours ago, Bjoern said:

While y'all are out burning your virtual money, I have to haul some of the rich and famous' posteriors around the Carribbean for a living in the Lear.

Okay, but stay out of the way...  LOL.  Tomorrow I embark on an mid-winter annual trek.  I start in St Louis and then pick up friends (couples) in Denver, Kansas City, and Indianapolis. Then heading to one couple's condo in Ft Myers for a provisioning day before flying the next day to Grand Cayman.  From there we will make hops to and from Kingston, Montego Bay, Little Cayman, Cancun, and Cozumel, sampling the best rums, tequilas, and seafood tacos.  That before heading home, once sober...  while in the Caribbean we will be in my Grand Caravan, the quintessential "island hopper"! 

All sim flying of course.  Only the tequila, rum, and seafood tacos are real...

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

13 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Why shouldn't it? Angle of attack determines lift and lift determines drag.

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for affirming that it works - it's great to have someone in the know around here and improves my enjoyment of this sim yet again...

Regards,
Scott

13 hours ago, fppilot said:

Okay, but stay out of the way...  LOL.  Tomorrow I embark on an mid-winter annual trek.  I start in St Louis and then pick up friends (couples) in Denver, Kansas City, and Indianapolis. Then heading to one couple's condo in Ft Myers for a provisioning day before flying the next day to Grand Cayman.  From there we will make hops to and from Kingston, Montego Bay, Little Cayman, Cancun, and Cozumel, sampling the best rums, tequilas, and seafood tacos.  That before heading home, once sober...  while in the Caribbean we will be in my Grand Caravan, the quintessential "island hopper"! 

All sim flying of course.  Only the tequila, rum, and seafood tacos are real...

Scenery recommendations:

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/pws.shtml

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=valladier&CatID=root&Go=Search

And don't worry. On my last hop, I was so heavy that I didn't even make FL400 without busting the N1 limits. So staying out of your way isn't much of an issue.

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for affirming that it works - it's great to have someone in the know around here and improves my enjoyment of this sim yet again...

Regards,
Scott

Even ground effect is modeled. ;)

21 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

Even ground effect is modeled. ;)

Hah - that I knew - sometimes it's way overdone and like a trampoline - hard to miss...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

Well, with proper real-world source data even that wouldn't be hard to turn off.

If you're inclined to experiment by trial&error: Get AAM 2.2, open the LJ's .air file with it and play with table 400.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Pi-yhMdGnNoJ:https://ootb.wordpress.com/aam/+

But looking at the wing (almost straight, lots of area plus flaps), I figure that the cushioning effect isn't too far off.

10 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Well, with proper real-world source data even that wouldn't be hard to turn off.

If you're inclined to experiment by trial&error: Get AAM 2.2, open the LJ's .air file with it and play with table 400.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Pi-yhMdGnNoJ:https://ootb.wordpress.com/aam/+

But looking at the wing (almost straight, lots of area plus flaps), I figure that the cushioning effect isn't too far off.

Hi Bjoern,

Oh - I wasn't talking about the Lear being a trampoline - I like the way the Lear flies a great deal - not much in the "feel" department I'd change there... The A2A C182 sometimes feels like ground effect is like the paddle of the old "Pong" game if you're old enough to remember those and I've landed a real 182 for comparison - I'm much happier with their low wing products... I've dabbled with FDE's using Air Wrench and other tools - the MilViz B55 FDE was pretty bad for other reasons and I was attempting to fix it - which got me started with FDE's - never did get anything I was happy with - not really something I want to bite into again - I'll leave it for the experts...

Regards,
Scott

3 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Oh - I wasn't talking about the Lear being a trampoline - I like the way the Lear flies a great deal - not much in the "feel" department I'd change there... The A2A C182 sometimes feels like ground effect is like the paddle of the old "Pong" game if you're old enough to remember those and I've landed a real 182 for comparison - I'm much happier with their low wing products... I've dabbled with FDE's using Air Wrench and other tools - the MilViz B55 FDE was pretty bad for other reasons and I was attempting to fix it - which got me started with FDE's - never did get anything I was happy with - not really something I want to bite into again - I'll leave it for the experts...

Ah, alright.

Although I am a bit astonished that A2A seeminingly got something not entirely right. From all I've heard, their products are generally regarded as pretty much perfect.

FDE work is very demanding and time consuming indeed. I've spent weeks, if not months on a 727 FDE, but fortunately ended up with something that covers the aircraft's characteristics quite well, with fairly accurate cruise figures, ballpark landing speeds and the right amount of control feel. And no more fighter-like climb behavior.
Same for the Learjet. Better drag and engine tables work wonders in all flight regimes.