Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Monday Morning Humor..

While in the shower this morning for some reason this very old Marine joke popped into my head.  I first heard about a century ago when I was a young Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton waiting to go to Korea.

An English professor and an old Marine sergeant were on an early television game show.  As fate would have it the professor and the Marine had tie scores at the end of the game.

The emcee announced that after the commercial to break the tie each contestant had to come up with a four line poem and the last work had to be Timbuktu.  The audience would decide the winner with their applause.

After the commercial break the two came back and the English professor went first.

Far across the desert sand

Wound the sultan's caravan.

Camels passed, two by two

Their destination Timbuktu.

Then it was the old Marine sergeant's turn.

Me and Tim into the desert went.

There we found three broads in a tent.

Them bein' three and us bein' two

I bucked one and Tim bucked two.

Decide for yourself who won.

Noel

• Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

While walking along the rocky shore

I spied, amidst the breakers roar

A stately ship sailed into view

It's destination Timbuktu

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As Tim and I a-walking went

We spied three maidens in a tent

As they were three, and we but two

I buk one, and Timbuktu!

I think I first heard that in high school in the early 50's! Only it was two guys who, after golf, always argued, in the Men's Grill, about who was the best at this and that. After years of listening to these guys the bartender set up the poem contest to see who was actually the best man.

Bruce

• Upvote 1

I'll bet there are a thousand variations Bruce.  But it is an oldie.  It must have been '52 when I heard it.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Fifteen years later here. But, hey I'm only (almost)  67.

LOL

Sue