Sign in to follow this  

nVidia 2070, 2080 and 2080Ti

Titan V's are available, but limit 2 per customer ;)  

I'm surprised miners didn't pickup on the Titan V's ... it would have given them that competitive performance edge so the fact they haven't bought them all, that might bring some hope that GPU prices and availability will start to get back to normal.

But like I suggested, I can't see Bitcoin continuing as a means to make money quickly ... regulations are coming into play, and if you look at the history Dec 16th value was $19343 and within less than 2 months to Feb 5th value dropped to $6914 and it's recovered a little to $9118 as of today but not changing much.

I can't see the GPU shortage and crazy pricing lasting much longer.

Cheers, Rob.  

How long before we see this in flight sims NVidia Microsoft new graphics tech coming in the new GPU`s.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Since the first DX12 game was introduced in 2015, less than 30 native DX12 games have been released from major publishers. And that includes 8 from MS itself. It's safe to say that this new technology is designed to jumpstart interest in DX12. Since no flight sim uses DX12, the impact will be even more delayed.

Besides, unless the price of new nVidia cards drops back to non-gouging levels, no one can afford Volta technology.

GTC 2018 is March 26th, there should be official announcements at that time/date.

Multi-GPU processing power is not being "fully" utilized by most games/simulators ... full utilization requires DX12 with in EMA mode with SFR.  Unfortunately the code path to support DX12 EMA SFR is extremely difficult but does provide the most scaling and performance (Adding a GPU could realize almost 70% performance gain).

Here is a good tech article from nVidia developer blogs: https://developer.nvidia.com/explicit-multi-gpu-programming-directx-12-part-2

The issue is one of development time and resources around the volume of code that would need to be modified and the possibility of breaking changes (read compatibility).  As pointed out very few games use DX12, even fewer use DX12 EMA with SFR (I'm not aware of any).  The technology is there, however the ROI probably isn't there given the lack of usage in the gaming/flight sim world.

Cheers, Rob.

NVidia are giving there keynote speech today 27 at san Jose, hopefully we will find out what is in store for the future gaming GPU.  

Raymond Fry.

Until nVidia address the bitcoin miners, it'll not really matter what they "say" at this event as I suspect many will not buy GPU's selling for 2X or more their retail price.  It's within nVidia's means to stop miners, but they have elected to use rather transparent and weak "verbiage" (words and no action) as pretense to supporting "gamers". 

There is also a "markup" market where there will be a period of "holding out" on those that were able to secure GPU's at retail prices, but attempting to sell them at highly inflated prices ... so we'll have to wait out the re-sellers trying to make a buck also. 

You can watch live, it's mostly about nVidia and autonomous cars for low power and extreme conditions.  Nothing about gaming so far ... I can see the desire to penetrate the Automotive market (about 1.1 Billion cars/trucks) vs. the gamer market (1.2 Billion users).  Unfortunately their simulated world running with 4 GPUs is stuttering and vSynch issues ... oops!  But the dynamic lighting is very impressive but clearly putting a 99% load on all 4 GPUs ... ouch!  But it is the best dynamic lighting I've ever seen. 

However, it's starting to be more clear that bitcoin is failing at a rather rapid rate: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/crypto-market-cap-dips-below-300-billion-as-bitcoin-nears-long-term-support-2018-03-27

So there is hope for stability to return, but there are also "other" uncertainties that could impact GPU prices in the US.

Cheers, Rob.

8 hours ago, rjfry said:

NVidia are giving there keynote speech today 27 at san Jose, hopefully we will find out what is in store for the future gaming GPU.  

All done, no new GeForce cards announced.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

However, it's starting to be more clear that bitcoin is failing at a rather rapid rate

Ethereum has sagged  also, down below $150. get ready for a flood of abused cards for sale.

nVidia stock dropped today after the lack of news.

Kinda surprised, but there was a hint of two new GPUs that he said he would discuss at a later date/event.

So I guess we wait.

Cheers, Rob.

The rumour going round is that they don`t expect any thing till DDR 6 memory hit`s full production June July, and new GPU`s Sep Oct 18 and high end early 19, they have no need to rush they are making pot`s of money.   

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/30/nvidia_geforce_chips_crypto_miner_induced_shortage/

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

Well there is always the Titan V + volt mod + water block ... with this combo some owners see 50-75% FPS increase.  But for P3D V4, it would only make sense if your GPU is pegged at 100% when running DL at a DL airport with SSAA at 4K+ resolution.

In stock at retail price:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-v/

EK Water block, needed for volt mod (in stock)

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-titan-v-nickel

Volt Mod

https://overclocking.guide/nvidia-gtx-titan-x-volt-mod-pencil-vmod/

Cheers, Rob

Well in regards to price they may get a bit more expensive, thanks to Mr trump import tariffs trade wars and could affect a lot of PC components, this is the talk on the web.   

Raymond Fry.