Sign in to follow this  

nVidia 2070, 2080 and 2080Ti

Predicting a trend in tech can be proven to be off base in a matter of months. Note the article just below the one you cited is about how DX12 will revolutionize gaming...dated 2014.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Predicting a trend in tech can be proven to be off base in a matter of months. Note the article just below the one you cited is about how DX12 will revolutionize gaming...dated 2014.

Yes but the date of the article is 25 feb 18 and some YouTube channels are reporting the same from NVidia feedback. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

And other sites are reporting that nVidia is so annoyed with bitcoin miners buying up its video cards that it is going to sell its cards directly via its website store in order to hold prices down to the MSRP.

Not sure I understand that ... nVidia has always sold their GPUs via their web site at MSRP?  Limit 2 per customer and I think they register buyer's IP and don't allow proxy sales ... but I thought it was always this way ... is this something new?

Cheers, Rob.

The only thing that is new is that nVidia is trying to leverage availability. It sounded like from their announcements that they intend to be the seller of choice as long as retail vendors can't limit sales to bitcoin miners. Just to be clear, the term bitcoin miner refers to commercial farms that employ hundreds of PCs, not some geek with a high end PC. These operations wait until an outlet like NewEgg has a high end board back in stock and then they use bots to chain order 100s of cards one at a time. Basically, it's equivalent to the bots that scarf up concert and sporting event tickets for resale on the secondary market. nVidia can't control what retailers do, but they can affect the wholesale supply chain. These days, the reference cards and the retail cards aren't all that different, so maybe nVidia's approach might keep prices stable. The decision on the part of the end user is whether they would buy a reference nVidia 2080 TI for $700 or an equivalent EVGA-branded card with a slightly different cooler at $1,300. 

I'm sticking with my original speculation: Volta based with no tensor and higher frequency with DDR6.  Both technologies are here and now and not hypothetical.

As far as motivation, same as before, return on investment ... aka money.  Because AMD is no competition doesn't mean nVidia is allergic to money.

If there is a delay, it might be due to nVidia trying to figure out how to make a gaming GPU useless to miners.

Cheers, Rob.

8 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

If there is a delay, it might be due to nVidia trying to figure out how to make a gaming GPU useless to miners.

That makes perfect sense to me as well.  Releasing a GPU specifically optimized for mining is all well and good, but when those run out (and they will, quickly), if the remaining "gaming" GPU can still be used, they'll scarf them up too.  I agree that somehow they need to neuter the gaming GPU so isn't useful to miners.   I don't see how this works any other way.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I'm happy I bought the 1080. They are going up at an average of $100 per month since I bought it.

It's crazy.

Edited by PaulGR

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I was looking around the web stores in the UK today I purchased a MSI 1060, 18 months ago for my other rig it`s now double the price I paid, and the MSI 1080 + gamer in this PC is unobtainable.

Raymond Fry.

Hot topic at the moment about NVidia.

Raymond Fry.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:00 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

And other sites are reporting that nVidia is so annoyed with bitcoin miners buying up its video cards that it is going to sell its cards directly via its website store in order to hold prices down to the MSRP.

On Friday I got a notice from Nvidia that the 1070ti's were available. From the time I received the notice, put one in my cart, and paid with Paypal, they were gone. By the time I hit pay now it had been removed from my cart. Now either they only had three for sale, or bit miners are using bots to suck them up as soon as they appear. Whatever Nvidia is doing isn't working.

NAX669.png

It's probably that the pent-up demand from gamers is causing that to happen.