Sign in to follow this  
baxterbj

No entries in Programdata add-ons.cfg folder P3Dv4

I'm working through a problem with P3Dv4.

All my add-ons, in my Document folder are working, I used Lorby-SI add-on organiser for P3Dv4.

But my problem is that no entries appear in my add-ons.cfg folder in the ProgramData folder, it is blank.

I have extensive scenery RTMM, ORBX, UTLive, and many other add-ons.

I need entries in the cfg, for MCE to operate correctly. In saying that, it works fine if I do manual changes in MCE. Ben from MCE has been more than helpful, but no matter what I do, edit, copy and paste into the cfg, each time I start P3D, the cfg reverts back to blank.

I have searched here on AVSIM and P3D forum but I've not found anyone with anything closely related.

I realise it could be a million to one shot, but has anyone any knowledge or advice that may help me.

Regards

Brian (BJ from OZ)

Edited by baxterbj

Add-ons.cfg file is also in C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. The add-ons.cfg file in my programdata folder just has the SODE entry.

Thankyou Bill,

That's all mine had in it, and now it has nothing, but all appears to work okay, as explained in my initial post.

Brian

There are two files called add-ons.cfg, one is in \AppData\Local…, the other in \ProgramData\....

The first one is used for all addons that P3D discovers automatically in \Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\, and this is also where you will find all addons that have been established by the P4AO. The file that you found in \ProgramData is only written to by addon installers, if the developer decided to use the P3D command line tools. SODE is an example for that.

Entries from both files are shown in the P4AO, but if you add addons manually with P4AO they will only be in the first one (because of auto discovery). If you have an addon like SODE that installs using the command line tools, there is no requirement to handle it manually with P4AO. IMHO it would not be a good idea for an external program or the user to interfere with add-on.cfg in \ProgramData\.

Best regards 

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

21 minutes ago, baxterbj said:

Oliver,

Thank You

Brian

Hello Brian

I just remembered that there was a P4AO version a while back that SODE had problems with. IIRC the entry in the ProgramData\...\add-ons.cfg had some kind of issue that made it disappear. Which version of the P4AO were you using when this happened?

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is P4AO, Ive seen this about on your forum, what is it short for?

I have run repair on SODE, and now that is all that appears in ProgramData\...\add-ons.cfg.

Is P4AO my version number ?

That is 4.1.7.22841

Brian

Edited by baxterbj

15 minutes ago, baxterbj said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is P4AO, Ive seen this about on your forum, what is it short for?

I have run repair on SODE, and now that is all that appears in ProgramData\...\add-ons.cfg.

Is P4AO my version number ?

That is 4.1.7.22841

Brian

P4AO is short for Lorby's Prepar3d v4 Add-On Organizer

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Thank you,

I feel a right dill, I have P4AO version 1.27b02(c), updated today.

Brian

I'm beginning to think that because I used a program called Takeownership on the file add-ons.cfg, in ProgramData, I have changed something in the security setting of the file that doesn't allow P3D to write to it and retain the information. SODE is still the only entry.

Is there a way I can fix this by a client uninstall and reinstall, or is there anything i can change in the security settings of the file?

Regards

Brian

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Lorby_SI said:

There are two files called add-ons.cfg, one is in \AppData\Local…, the other in \ProgramData\....

The first one is used for all addons that P3D discovers automatically in \Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\, and this is also where you will find all addons that have been established by the P4AO. The file that you found in \ProgramData is only written to by addon installers, if the developer decided to use the P3D command line tools. SODE is an example for that.

Entries from both files are shown in the P4AO, but if you add addons manually with P4AO they will only be in the first one (because of auto discovery). If you have an addon like SODE that installs using the command line tools, there is no requirement to handle it manually with P4AO. IMHO it would not be a good idea for an external program or the user to interfere with add-on.cfg in \ProgramData\.

Best regards 

32 minutes ago, baxterbj said:

I'm beginning to think that because I used a program called Takeownership on the file add-ons.cfg, in ProgramData, I have changed something in the security setting of the file that doesn't allow P3D to write to it and retain the information. SODE is still the only entry.

Is there a way I can fix this by a client uninstall and reinstall, or is there anything i can change in the security settings of the file?

Regards

Brian

Hello Brian,

why do you want to have more entries in that file? Is there some kind of problem? SODE is the only addon that I have encountered that currently uses this method. It is the only entry in that file for me too. All the others are in the second config file in
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

Best regards

LORBY-SI

On ‎08‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 7:29 AM, Lorby_SI said:

Best regards 

Hello @ll,

sorry, a typo in there. The autodiscovery config file is

C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

(as a reminder: do not bother with editing this file. P3D updates it every time that you run the simulator)

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver,

I run MCE, and ever since I reinstalled P3Dv4 and MCE, MCE wont recognise aircraft installed outside of P3D, in the Documents folder.

So I have to manually enter them into MCE cfgPath, and make another entry into the MCE ini file, so as it doesn't scan for aircraft each time i run P3D, as it dumps those outside of P3D.

Having emailed  Ben at MCE Extensively he states my entries in my add-ons.cfg Programdata is why I am having the issue.

Back in December 15, I had 6 entries in the cfg folder, like SODE, ENVTEX,Orbx ObjectFlow 2, Godzone, RealNZdunedin,VLC_libraries, utLive and another i cant remember.

But since a fresh install of everything, all i have is SODE, that's why I'm asking if a fresh client install might fix the add-ons.cfg

Kind Regards

Brian

Edited by baxterbj

2 hours ago, baxterbj said:

... MCE wont recognise aircraft installed outside of P3D, in the Documents folder.

Well, that would be up to MCE devs to correct if they want to stay compatible with P3D, the FSLabs A320-X is installed outside the P3D folder and is 100% compatible with the guidelines from Lockheed Martin.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

3 hours ago, baxterbj said:

But since a fresh install of everything, all i have is SODE, that's why I'm asking if a fresh client install might fix the add-ons.cfg

Hello Brian,

no, I wouldn't think so. No idea how those addons ended up in that file in the first place. To make sure, take a look into the other cfg file, to see if those addons are there. If they are not, try to change the security parameters of the add-ons.cfg file in ProgramData and run the installers of those addons again. Simply reinstalling the client will not remedy a security issue.

The real problem here is, that MCE is unaware of the autodiscovery function of P3D (the "other" add-ons.cfg file). You might be able to help MCE out by adding all lookup paths for aircraft to the simobjects.cfg in ProgramData. The P4AO tool has a special function for doing just that. I have MCE too, that is why I have implemented this. The idea is, that you temporarily create a simobjects.cfg with P4AO that contains all the necessary paths, then run MCE once in scan mode, then disable the automatic scanning in MCE and revert simobjects.cfg back to the inital state.

Best regards

LORBY-SI