Sign in to follow this  
RedArmyGooner

PC keeps restarting mid flight

15 hours ago, monica6211 said:

You have heard several people suggest checking the PSU because the symptoms you are having is usually caused by the PSU in most cases. Your fan may not be frozen, but it may not be turning at the proper rpm to cool the PSU sufficiently, or there may be another component heating up inside the PSU. I've been building my own computers since the first Tandy TRS-80 back in 1980, and the one part that failed most often for me has been the PSU. The fact that your computer restarts after you put a load on the system tend to indicate that something is heating up, and the two things that heat up the most under load is the PSU and the CPU. And those will usually fail because of lack of cooling, or improper voltages. It could certainly be something else, but I highly doubt it. There is still one other thing I've experienced which would cause this that not many people think of.  If you use a power strip to plug all of your computer chords into, that can give you the same symptoms, especially if it is an old power strip. Computers sure can be hard to troubleshoot sometimes. Hopefully, yours is an easy fix.

I may try and get a PSU out of a friends computer and test it out that way. From everything I have done so far, my CPU seems completely fine and none of my components are overheating (except for the PSU which I obviously can't tell). If it is a hardware problem, and from what you told me, it would seem to be a PSU issue. I will try and give an update when I can test a different PSU. 

So one thing I have noticed from the days of stress testing is my TMPIN4 temperature. It has a value and min of 0, and a max of 128c. A friend told me it is a false reading however I obviously need a second opinion at this stage. 

16 minutes ago, RedArmyGooner said:

So one thing I have noticed from the days of stress testing is my TMPIN4 temperature. It has a value and min of 0, and a max of 128c. A friend told me it is a false reading however I obviously need a second opinion at this stage. 

Yep, flaky reading.  On an Intel based system focus on the core temps.  As I recall (been a few years) the TMPIN and AUXTIN temps are bogus on an Intel system.

HTH,

Greg

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

Yep, flaky reading.  On an Intel based system focus on the core temps.  As I recall (been a few years) the TMPIN and AUXTIN temps are bogus on an Intel system.

HTH,

Greg

Sounds good, thanks for the input. 

I have spent so much of my weekend just stress testing beyond belief and my PC has passed every single one of them with flying colours. I managed to get a hold of a friend who is going to lend me a PSU and once I test it, I will update with results (within 48 hours). 

Even though I haven't made a ton of progress with this, I want to thank everyone who has given my computer illiterate self advice so far. I struggle a lot with anxiety and panic attacks and flight simulation can sometimes be the only relief for me so if you have any other suggestions, please, let me know. 

Thanks

Omar

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedArmyGooner said:

I have spent so much of my weekend just stress testing beyond belief and my PC has passed every single one of them with flying colours. I managed to get a hold of a friend who is going to lend me a PSU and once I test it, I will update with results (within 48 hours). 

Even though I haven't made a ton of progress with this, I want to thank everyone who has given my computer illiterate self advice so far. I struggle a lot with anxiety and panic attacks and flight simulation can sometimes be the only relief for me so if you have any other suggestions, please, let me know. 

Thanks

Omar

Hi Omar,

Also try to reduce all your P3D settings to see if that alleviate the resets.

Simbol 

So I borrowed my friend's PSU and tested Prepar3d around six or seven times and the PC did not restart once. I plugged my own PSU back in and it restarted two out of my three test runs. Seems like the PSU is faulty after all, however I am still in two minds due to none of the stress tests crashing the PC . I will be reinvesting in a new one but if theres anything else I need to know, please do get in touch.

Many thanks

Omar

• Upvote 2

Great news that you isolated the problem.  The reason why the stress tests do not crash you is probably because those tests are not stressing the largest power consumer, your video card.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, downscc said:

Great news that you isolated the problem.  The reason why the stress tests do not crash you is probably because those tests are not stressing the largest power consumer, your video card.

I hope you are right! 

My pc was doing the exact same when i upgraded to a 1080ti. I only had a 600watt psu. the only thing that would make it shutoff and restart was xplane. I changed the PSU to an 850watt one and it hasnt happened since.

• Upvote 1