Sign in to follow this  
Manschy

Strange grey sky texture on horizon

Hi everybody,

for several days after I upgraded to P3Dv4 and REX Texture Direct and Soft Clouds for P3Dv4, I notice ugly grey sky textures, especially downwards to the horizon:

grey_sky_issue.jpg

It seems to be a texture issue when setting with clouds. Do I change to "clear skies" in v4, everything looks fine and clear blue. But as soon as I choose few clouds, the area is grey. Furthermore, I noticed some dirty dark orange clouds on the higher layer (not sure, Cirrus maybe?).

dirty_clouds.jpg

This looks weird, because the clouds lower are almost clear white. It's not dusk or dawn, but about noon. Does anybody else notice this issue or maybe can give me a hint to solve it? Thank you in advance.

This seems shader related, are you using PTA by chance?

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Delete the shader cache, run P3D and as Eric has asked, if running PTA close P3d and install the relevent PTA profile. Also, ensure you have volumetric fog ticked.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Skies here in Belgium or sometimes similar to your screenshots. Oh wait... that's called polution over here. :biggrin:

Sorry for that. I hope your problem gets solved!

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Thank you, guys. No, unfortunately no success so far. I don't use any shader programme (PTA etc). Meanwhile, I deleted the P3D.cfg, the shader folder and restored the REX textures to date before REX was installed. No difference....

@ Vital: All fine, mate. To explore Flightsims issues inside will never be possible without fun and jokes :biggrin:

Edited by Manschy

Okay, feeling like a muppet: Problem 1. is solved (but seems to be strange anyhow): Regarding the grey sky texture, option "volumetric fog" was ticked. Don't know if I did it but can it be possible that any addon (for example FSrealWX I use sometimes) do this by its own? Independently, volumetric fog doesn't look real if the engine simply makes the sky grey....

Problem 2 (dirty dark orange clouds) still exists. I remember they were clear white at the beginning...

Edited by Manschy

FSrealWX<===

Isn't their some sort of dawn/dusk cloud enhancement in that?

Okay, after I was fed up, I deinstalled and reinstalled my REX stuff including updates. I deleted the shader folder and the P3D.cfg. I really really carefully read all options and setting possibilities in my REX Textures Direct, relinquish FSrealWX for now and voilá: My sky looks healthy again, and my upper cirrus clouds seem to be right out of the laundry.

grey_sky_issue_SOLVED.jpg

It's a bad proof of impatient users like me who often install addons with deep faith in the programmes will do the best by its own. Failed in many times! So everything is fine now and thank you all for your assistance!:biggrin:

Glad you got it sorted :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776