Sign in to follow this  
David Keff

Carenado Universal FMS, a little help please

Hi,

This is the plane I have been waiting for as Dutchman, very nice. But I need a little help with the Carenado Universal FMS. When I insert a flightplan I can't select the runway of the arrival airport, what am I missing here, do others have the same problem?

• Upvote 1

Hi David and welcome to Avsim!

Its a little odd but you need to select the approach first (eg ILS I17) and then you will find that the runway (17) appears for the arrival airport. After that you can select the STAR and transition if required.

Although the Fokker 50 is perhaps Carenado's best aircraft yet, unfortunately the Universal FMS is its weakest point. I have done about 5 test flights in it using the FMS but have found that the FMS functionality is quite limited in many areas. Furthermore there is no option to insert an airway and the VNAV function is quite temperamental! As I result I made the decision to switch to the integrated GTN750 for navigation purposes and, although I don't think the aircraft was ever fitted with this in the real world, flying routes using the GTN provides a much more satisfying and less frustrating experience. Sure the GTN doesn't have VNAV capability but it is a simple matter to control this using the ASEL, ALT and VS controls on the AP and it is nice to have something to do rather than just letting the computer do the whole flight!

As a Dutchman, you must have been very sad to see the demise of such a great and historical company as Fokker. I have flown (as a passenger) on all the Fokker aircraft from the F-27 onwards and would love to see someone develop a good quality F-27 and a Fokker 70/100.

Bill

sciamior,

At what elevation are you able to attain higher speeds.  I've flown as high as 25K ft and still can't get past the 227 knot warming alarm.:huh:  I can't get no where near the 329 cruise speed it's suppose to get. 

Edited by FireRx

Capt. Robert Rixx

This can be a little Basic question but how do you know already in that point  which runway will be the right one in your destination?

46 minutes ago, FireRx said:

sciamior,

At what elevation are you able to attain higher speeds.  I've flown as high as 25K ft and still can't get past the 227 knot warming alarm.:huh:  I can't get no where near the 329 cruise speed it's suppose to get. 

I'm afraid the highest I have flown so far in the F50 is FL210 (21,000ft) but remember what you are seeing is the indicated airspeed (IAS) and the actual airspeed at which the aircraft is flying (the true airspeed or TAS) will be quite a bit higher at those altitudes because the air is less dense.

Just to explain in case you are not familiar with it how the airspeed indicator functions, it is essentially a barometer which measures the pressure of the air as it flows against a tube pointing forwards (the pitot tube) and compares this with the static atmospheric pressure, converting the difference between the two into an airspeed reading. At sea level therefore the measured airspeed (IAS) will be the same as the actual airspeed (TAS), but as you climb the IAS will progressively read less than the TAS.

A rough rule of thumb for estimating your true airspeed is to add 2% of the indicated airspeed for every 1,000ft of altitude. At 25,000ft therefore if your IAS is 220kts your TAS will be more like 330kts.

9 minutes ago, kiki said:

This can be a little Basic question but how do you know already in that point  which runway will be the right one in your destination?

You don't have to enter the runway at that stage and if you wish you can wait until you are approaching your destination. However if you want to enter it before you take off, you can always guess the runway by checking the wind at the destination and if you need to you can change the runway on the flight plan during the flight.

Bill

I see, 

Thanks scianoir.   I injected  my Mindstar 530 into the aircraft since I'm not quite ready to part with $64 buck for the F! GTN 750 just yer.  { Hoping for a Sale} .  I forgot I can see my G/S in the lower left corner on that one.  yeah all I was able to get 226 IAS  at that elevation. thanks on the info on the TAS :biggrin: 

Capt. Robert Rixx

11 minutes ago, FireRx said:

I injected  my Mindstar 530 into the aircraft since I'm not quite ready to part with $64 buck for the F! GTN 750 just yer.  { Hoping for a Sale}

I don't have the Mindstar 530 but I think using an alternative navigation system in this aircraft is a good plan for the moment - Flight 1 don't have too many sales!
Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for clearing that up. It is a shame indeed the Fokkers are no longer made, planes with an attitude ;-)

• Upvote 1

love the plane. very fun to fly, but the FMS is pretty much useless. might have to invest in the GTN750 as well. :)

Guys, sorry to bother you again, but...

I am planning a historic route from Amsterdam (EHAM) to Maastricht (EHBK). The navpoints and airways are still the same today. So here is the flightplan: lopik V33 EHN P57 osgos. With the help from Bill I can get the depart and arrive info in the FMS, cheers! I can even plot the correct route of the airway via the fixes on the airways (because the FMS don't do airway...) so the flightplan should look like: lopik totna EHN sopvi osgos. Now the odd bit...I can't insert EHN, it is a NDB (freq 397.0). It is visible on the default map of prepar3D v4,

I am a bit confused here...

2 minutes ago, David Keff said:

Now the odd bit...I can't insert EHN, it is a NDB (freq 397.0)

It's possible that EHN is not in the Carenado Universal FMS database. This can happen even with more sophisticated FMSs.

Bill

I found it in the navaids text file of the airac 1802 cycle (I made a clean install of the airac), and the adf needle in the fokker is seeing it as well and is working properly.