Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Choosing a Delta hub scenery

Hi Benjamin!

Just fired up KCLT in the sim. Bemuda grass is staying the whole year round (Mar-Jul-Nov; didn't checked hard winter). The grass textures were the reason why I was reluctant to buy it at the beginning. But still couldn't resist last years sale. It's actually one of the scenery which look better in sim than on screens. Ground textures (taxiway, aprons...) are fantastic and so is the modeling. I also get pretty solid frames with 100% AI and it's blending in well with Orbx OLC North America. Even though the grass/environment textures are not on par with Flightbeam or FlyTampa the rest of the airport sure is.

Give the demo a try. You can check out the whole airport for some five minutes. And if you are looking for a nice destination in this part of the US check out LatinVFR's Raleigh-Durham. Together with Santa Ana-Orange County one of my favorites.

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 hours ago, Wolkenschreck said:

Hi Benjamin!

Just fired up KCLT in the sim. Bemuda grass is staying the whole year round (Mar-Jul-Nov; didn't checked hard winter). The grass textures were the reason why I was reluctant to buy it at the beginning. But still couldn't resist last years sale. It's actually one of the scenery which look better in sim than on screens. Ground textures (taxiway, aprons...) are fantastic and so is the modeling. I also get pretty solid frames with 100% AI and it's blending in well with Orbx OLC North America. Even though the grass/environment textures are not on par with Flightbeam or FlyTampa the rest of the airport sure is.

Give the demo a try. You can check out the whole airport for some five minutes. And if you are looking for a nice destination in this part of the US check out LatinVFR's Raleigh-Durham. Together with Santa Ana-Orange County one of my favorites.

Thanks for your comments! Pity that it's there year-round, but glad to hear you don't seem to disturbed by it. You're right - I might just install it and give the demo a whirl, like I did with IS's KATL. I got KRDU in a sale the other day, great quality for the price! Indeed I also live LatinVFR's KSNA, I tend to use it as a base in SOCAL rather than KLAX. Anyway I tend to be more into the regional hubs and minor international airports rather than the major international airports.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

As advised, I installed FSDT's KCLT and took it for a spin in demo mod. The time is so short though, that I hardly ahd the time to really give it a good look, so I'll need to take it for a spin a couple times more. Initial impression is good, though. I can't say I'm in love with their rendition of "Bermuda grass", but the modeling is (unsurprisingly) very good, and the performance was very smooth for me too. Will probably buy it sometime down the line...

In other news, I decided to browse the entire P3Dv4 catalogue at Simmarket, and low and behold, I found some four southern US sceneries that are quite ncie, as well as not too expensive, that are all in close proximity to KATL as well as served almost exclusively by Delta's MD80 aircrfat from said airport. Two of them also see service from American's MD80 fleet, from KDFW. The airports are SXAD's Nashville, Birmingham, Pensacola, as well as Jetstream's Little Rock. They were all fairly cheap and looked good, so I ended up getting all of them... So, now I have some four or so airports within about an hour's flight time from KATL, all served by MD80 :biggrin: I now have a solid MD80 base to fly from, as well as some short(-ish), real-world routes to choose from. This is also the reason I'm holding off on KCLT for now, also because I already have LatinVFR's KRDU not too far from it.

It's funny how excited I am about these airports, particularly because the only place I've been to from these five is Nashville. But, I think what it comes down to is that, as I also said before, I particularly like smaller airports, and all of these pretty much fit the bill. I'm slightly sad that Little Rock doesn't have more connections, though...

Edited by Benjamin J

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Hello Benjamin,

Glad you found some airports to enjoy. I am building my P3DV4 platform and about to make my final aircraft repurchase (so I tell myself) which will be the PMDG777. I'm not that much of a long hauler so I have very few payware airports outside of the US. Seems to be few freeware offerings updated to V4 so far so yesterday I moved around to some default airports and you know, some are not half bad. I know they are nothing like a well done payware but not so bad as to keep me from flying to or from there. Plus there is a tremendous performance bonus to living with out the marvelous eye candy you don't pay that much attention to anyway when absorbed in a complex aircraft. I have seen several tutorials on various aircraft that were done from obviously default scenery. 

REX is getting close to releasing their update for HD Airport textures for 64 bit which will be a free update for those of us who own previous versions. Dresses up default airports a bit and gives you some texture options . Just something to consider. Maybe save a little $$.:happy:

Vic green