Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Xplane global scenery

What we could really do with that FTX Global has, are regional textures to give a more localised feel to the landscape. The default ones are okay but can be repetitive and make most places look a lot like everywhere else. 

56 minutes ago, deetee said:

What we could really do with that FTX Global has, are regional textures to give a more localised feel to the landscape. The default ones are okay but can be repetitive and make most places look a lot like everywhere else. 

Absolutely (and definitely doable) .... but do not underestimate the work involved in creating those textures. They are not just "plain simple" textures, but have complex alpha information included in them for more natural blending (depending on which textures mix at which position), and are also included in delicately tuned TER files (which describe how to use the textures with which shaders, in which combinations). To make this all work nicely (and not just quick and dirty) quite a lot of artistic work is needed (and I mean a lot of time ... and lots of experimenting). If it wouldn't so "complex" a lot more such texture replacements / additions would have popped up already (still, the most of them come from TerraMax / UrbanMaxx etc.).

Just to pot it in perspective ... I would estimate the task of re-creating all current textures at 1 year for one talented person (with access to good raw texture resources, having good tools, and a quick understanding of how things work). A larger team could do it maybe a tad faster ... but not much , as the analysis and understanding of the current system (and all the experimenting) would alone eat up quite a few months.

When we did the current set of ground textures - which already happened with XP10 - then creating the whole new scenery system (with all the data processing, rule tuning, experimenting) for me (1 person) and to create the textures and fine tune all the TER files (plus bringing in new ideas, experimenting open end, trying new shader tricks) for the texture artist guy (1 other person) took approximately 2 1/2 years .... (but neither were wee doing it full time).

Edited by alpilotx

It strikes me as funny that people switching over from FSX/P3D are thinking about enhancing X-Plane before they have even tried it! :laugh:

Guys, this isn´t FSX or P3D which looks - erm - not so great out of the box until you pimp it this way and that - spending weeks tweaking and installing hundreds of dollars worth of add-ons until you can finally dare to look at it.

X-Plane is really totally usable right out of the box. Its not a scheme made to lure you into third-party vendor addiction...

The guy didn´t even TRY X-Plane yet, and already he is asking about how to "fix" it??

Jan

Edited by Janov

And at night, X-Plane default shines over FSX / P3D with zillions of $$$ invested - upcoming night lighting "fix" can bring even more good news...

Then there's that thing with the slopes, up and down you going along the taxiways and sometimes ... hippp-up on the takeoff run....

And the galls guys ? Have you seen the galls in the windows of the autogen buildings ?

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

And the galls guys ? Have you seen the galls in the windows of the autogen buildings ?

Reminds me of the GREAT 1983 movie "Blue thunder"! Google "Blue Thunder Flexibility" (PG 6 and older for most parts of the world, 18+ if you are from the US :laugh:)

Jan

• Like 2

I saw this the other day, and laughed. I love these little things hanging around in the scenery

1.thumb.jpg.a8bc2b4241718c1581d9c587378e29fc.jpg

Austin Meyer on the back of the truck. I wonder how many other places he is hiding.

"How's my driving?" It's rubbish Austin. I watched as you flew over a bridge at a 45' angle, and then just disappeared into thin air

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1