Sign in to follow this  
woodreau

Is Innsbruck (LOWI) messed up?

How familiar are any of you with Innsbruck's approach? Flying into Innsbruck, ATC gave me runway 8 to land. Winds were only 2 knots at 360...so I much preferred Runway 26. I switch to the ATC window, to request runway 26. But, strangely enough, rwy 26 was not on the list of options. Is there some problem with this?Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest stevehow

HIATC always seems to go for Rnwy 8 at LOWI.i'm sure i saw a fix for this somewhere here,it patches the 26 app.my favourite airpoprt in FS9.so i'm always there,good for trips all over europe. best wishes steve

Yeah you don't want 8... 26 is the money approach. I always just ignore them. Stoopid FS.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest rmce

Yep, ATC is wrong...can sometimes give you 26 sidestep approach, but 8 is nonsense.Just ignore them!

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,Maybe this'll work--Change the wind to blow the way you want, then request a landing and see what happens.Andy.

Well if FS9 ATC is not right at Innsbruck, I'd say no matter what way I make the wind blow, it would put me on Rwy 8. Yes, I can tell that RWY26 is the one you want at LOWI. Doing that approach to Rwy8 nearly got me killed in the A320-200 I was using. That was ridiculous, trying vainly to drop in at 3000 fpm on short final. Not really do-able.I guess with the Rwy 26 approach, you must fly up the valley on approach--not a straight line. Assuming we could get ATC to give Runway 26, would FS9's ATC be trusted enough to guide you properly up the valley?I'd hate to do that approach with a cloud deck obscuring the valley. No wonder LOWI is considered one of the worlds most dangerous approaches.Rhett

Rhett

I think this file in library:innsbruck-lowi_v2.zipis the fix you are talking about; fixes the 26 approach there. I'll have to try it.Rhett

Rhett

The file mentioned above by Johan Thiers with Jim Vile's approaches is a full set of approach procedures - something you need.However, never accept the default ILS or visual approach, and never accept vectors to final if you do not want to be directed into a mountain.Never request a new runway for landing - request a new approach with a transition, then a new runway.However, if the FS weather is setup for one end of a runway - it will not allow you to land on the other end of the runway. Period.You might want to invest in Radar Contact if Jim's files won't get the airport working for you.

>Doing that approach to Rwy8 nearly got me killed >in the A320-200 I was using. That was ridiculous, >trying vainly to drop in at 3000 fpm on >short final. Not really do-able.There is a download here in the Library that gives you everything needed to fly and land on both RWY 8 and 26.Included are the charts for LOWI and a bgl with all the NAVaids properly positioned along with a AFCAD.If you fly with AI Traffic the zip also has curved approaches so AI Planes fly the valley and make a left turn to final (RWY 8). All the STAR's for the User Airplane are listed in the Transistions (GPS receiver) and can also be flown properly under the watchful eye of ATC if you select one.Search for LOWI_APP_jv.zipSorry Reggie, we posted at the same time. I did not relize that Johan's file was the one that was downloaded. MACE ---- Because my approach file is already included in Johan's zip then my LOWI_APP_jv.zip is not needed.

I'm not sure how ATC works in FS. But the physical task of landing on 8 is doable.If you do look at the approach plates for LOWI in the package from the VACC-SAG: The LOC/DME WEST procedure is one of the more unique approaches I've seen in that when you get down to the missed approach point at the MDA of 5000ft you have to look 7 miles BEHIND you to find the runway. From that point you have to be visual and execute the visual approach procedures to land on either Rwy 26 or Rwy 8.AI traffic shouldn't be flying left traffic to Rwy 8, all of the visual approach procedures published indicate it is right traffic to Rwy 8.The LOC/DME EAST procedure is slightly easier, but no less dangerous - it gets you down to an MDA of 3929ft before you go missed, but sets you up pretty well for Rwy 26, but you can still use it to go to Rwy 8 by following the visual approach procedure.The one approach plate that is missing is the RNAV(RNP) Rwy 26 approach plate (came out in May 2005). That approach sets you up on a 3.7 mile straight in final for Rwy 26 and has a DH of 2600ft (700ft above touchdown zone). The missed approach is pretty wild, you basically follow a convoluted 30 mile missed approach track west down the Inn River Valley turn around the valley around the town of Telfs, then back east up the Inn River Valley back to Innsbruck and back up to Rattenburg NDB.But I was able to fly the PMDG 737 to Rwy 8 after doing both the East and West procedure. You're handflying with the yoke, I cheat and leave the autopilot in CWS mode.I have no idea how to attach the RNAV(RNP) Rwy 26 approach plate for LOWI. (it's a 2.5MB PDF)