Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

HELP! "Building Database For New Scenery Files"

Guest MS

Every time I start FS9 a progress bar appears that says "Building new scenery files. This process may take a few moments." Does anyone know why this is? I have a clean install of FS9, the update from Microsoft, and no add-on software whatsoever. My guess is that is is something to do with the update. Not a big deal but it can be annoying. MS

Guest firehawk44

I had that happen once and can't remember how I fixed it. Check your scenery.cfg and make sure it's not "corrupted" (Areas/Layers do not match or are not in numerical sequence; duplicate areas, etc.). If that checks out okay, try renaming your fs9.cfg to fs9.old and restarting the sim. The fs9.cfg will rebuild itself and possibly that will fix your problem.Best regards,JimYoung

Make sure you don't have a double entry in there. This will cause a rebuild every time as well.

Guest JTEK99

Most importantly, check your scenery.cfg file (in your root FS9 folder) for any layer labeled as "Remote".I searched months for an answer to this problem and finally found out what it was.Take out the "remote" and it should all clear up. There's been an influx of these problems since CanarySim's Canary Islands photoreal scenery came out. But some other packages can do this as well (and user error, too).Again, check out the scenery.cfg file. Let us know if you cured it.

Guest MS

I scanned my config file for errors and can't see anything. I just got done reinstalling to no avail. The one thing I keep coming back to is the FS update file I installed from Microsoft. I don't believe I removed it after my uninstall. Any thoughts before I do a complete uninstall again? Does anyone have the update installed? I attempted to attach my config file for you to double check for me, but I am not sure if its going to work. Note: I removed "Remote=" from each area an a vain attempt to solve to problem. Doesn't seem to have hurt ot helped anything.Thanks for all your help so far. I don't believe its affecting my game play at all. Just one of those things that drive me nuts for some reason.MS

I had this happen once, though not to a fresh installation. I tracked it down to a faulty scenery by effectively doing a binary search. i.e. after backing up the scenery.cfg, chop off the last half of it and run fs9 twice (the first time it /should/ do the database rebuild, the second time it shouldn't if there are no probs in the sceneries or scenery.cfg). If its ok, then put back just half of the bit you deleted, and run fs9 twice again. If there /is/ a problem on the other hand delete the second half of the already reduced scenery.cfg. And so forth. This way you'll narrow it down to whichever entry is causing the prob. Note it needn't be the scenery.cfg thats the problem, it could be the sceneries themselves. Even so, it'd be pretty weird for this to occur with nothing but fs9's standard scenery entries. I haven't a clue why that would happen.Paul

Actually, I just realised that since you only have a default installation, there might be a quicker method. Instead of deleting bits of scenery.cfg and then adding bits of the deleted stuff back in, since you can't have many entries in a default scenery.cfg just set Active=FALSE in the entries in the last half of the list, then proceed in the same manner as in my previous response. A binary algorithm in general will be quicker to pin down the fault than simply de-ACTIVE-ating each entry one at a time, and then re-running fs9 twice for each entry, though, of course that would work (eventually) as well.In my case the problem was tracked down to several downloaded sceneries, but since you don't have any addon sceneries it could be that my advice is way off target.Whatever it is, good luckPaul

Hi there,instead of checking manually, why not use one of the utilities that will do this for you? I've been using Steve Greenwood's scenery.cfg file checker - http://www.fs-traveler.com/resources-g.shtml (third link from the top) - for a number of years but there are other tools as well.Cheers, Holger

I had a similar problem several months ago. Recommend first check your shortcut for FS9 by clicking with right mouse button and select "properties" then select "general" and make sure "read only" is not checked. If that doesn't work consider using the restore feature if you are using Windows XP.and use settings prior to when you noticed the problem,,Hope this helps,Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

MS,Have a read of this thread. Rather than remove Remote= entries you need to replace them with Local=. That should sort things out for you.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchCheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest MS

I have tried all of your recommendations and have had no luck in fixing the problem. I am convinced that my scenery.cfg file is not corrupt because I have done two complete reinstalls and the problem persists. The progress bar only takes 3-5 seconds to load so my startup time is not being effected. However, please let me know if anything else comes to mind. Again, thanks you for your concern. Either way this gives me a small excuse to go buy the FSX as soon as it hits the shelves. MS

MS,I don't give up that easily :-)Load FS and go into the Scenery Library. Make sure you have a tick in the option 'Empty CD-ROM scenery cache on exit.' If you don't you will get a constant rebuild.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather