Sign in to follow this  
JustanotherPilot

Carenado and Les Saab 340 Comparison

I have just posted a video comparison of this aircraft in Prepar3D v4.1 and XP11.20r3 on YouTube. The flight was made on the same route in the afternoon. I AM NOT offering an opinion on which platform is better, and encourage those who view this post to take it the context that it is - just seeing how the Saab 340 appears visually in both. I fly both regularly, and enjoy both.

The video is unedited raw, with no post processing or editing, other than a title text added, so it appears rough in some scenes, especially my landings. I made the video for my own benefit to see how the aircraft looked in both Sim Platforms and after viewing thought maybe that others might be interested. Carenado is up first and Les starts at 22:20

Make sure you view in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E9rHZKi968

Edited by JustanotherPilot
  • Like 1

steve southey

Thanks for the video. I own both, and here is my opinion after a bit of flying around:

External Modeling/Texturing: Carenado by a country mile. The entire plane looks photorealistic. Of course, this was to be expected: Carenado consistently delivers the best visuals one could hope for, and I always thought the LES looked a bit wonky outside.

Internal Modeling/Texturing: This one is a bit harder. I'll give the edge to the Carenado, but only just. The LES' cockpit isn't bad at all. 

Systems: LES 100%. It isn't even close. The company puts systems first and it really shows. 

Sounds: LES. The Carenado's simply don't sound that realistic and are beset by sound phasing.

Flight dynamics: I've never flown a real Saab, but the LES feels much more believable IMO. 

However, I don't think it's a completely fair comparison because the planes are in two completely different sims. We need to wait for the XP11 port of the Saab to make a true comparison. Thranda, the group that ports Carenado's planes, essentially takes the modeling and texturing from Carenado but builds everything else from the ground up. In my experience, Thranda's ports are much, much better than their FSX/P3D counterparts. One good example: in P3D, I could fly the Carenado B1900D with the throttles maxed all throughout my climb, only bringing them back to manage my speed. The first time I flew the XP11 version, I fried the engines. While they aren't "study level" per se (whatever that means...), the ports are great simulations. 

Score:

LES: 8.5/10

Carenado: 6/10

Final thoughts: Neither are bad planes. The Carenado is just a little pricey for what it is, but the LES is well worth the money. The Saab is my favorite plane so I'm happy to have both in my hangar. I reinstalled P3D just for it, and will be buying the XP11 version when it comes out even though I already have the LES. Overall, if you love the Saab, get both. If you just want a regional turboprop and don't like the Saab in particular, stick with the Majestic Q400. 

• Like 2

I don't have the LES S340, but I guess it is safe to say that comparing Carenado aircraft with any other likewise aircraft allways results in:

• Carenado visuals, both internal and external are one of the best in the business.
  • Carenado system rendering is average at the most.
  • Carenado flight modeling is average to slightly above average

I have quite a few Carenado's but don't fly them for study level purposes 😉
Nevertheless I enjoy flying them

Edited by Egbert Drenth
typos

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Thanks for this.

Interesting information about Carenado FSX aircraft's ports to X-plane. I'll have to try one out. I just assumed they were straight ports...

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS