Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

ASN turbulence and interesting observation with JF Cessna 152

I was having a lot of handling issues with the excellent Just Flight C152 mainly due to ASN winds. So on their forums I came across this thread and it certainly sorted me out. 

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31751&KW=weather&title=hunter-instability-question

Worth a try for others but it will generally affect aircraft too.

Opinions?

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

ASN turbulence plays badly with many add-ons, especially those like A2A's Accu-Sim aircraft that transfer some of the flight modeling outside the sim.

The solution that works for me (and for others - I came across in years ago on the forums but can't remember who deserves the credit) is to reduce ASN's turbulence effect scalar to 30.  Default is 70. I think that might be equivalent to the P3D.cfg tweak that snave suggests in the linked thread (not sure - haven't tried getting at it via the P3D.cfg, only the ASN settings).

If you do that, you can leave all the other wind and turbulence settings at default, but the exaggerated turbulence excursions will be turned down.  

Give it a try.

Edited by Alan_A

5 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

ASN turbulence plays badly with many add-ons, especially those like A2A's Accu-Sim aircraft that transfer some of the flight modeling outside the sim.

The solution that works for me (and for others - I came across in years ago on the forums but can't remember who deserves the credit) is to reduce ASN's turbulence effect scalar to 30.  Default is 70. I think that might be equivalent to the P3D.cfg tweak that snave suggests in the linked thread (not sure - haven't tried getting at it via the P3D.cfg, only the ASN settings).

If you do that, you can leave all the other wind and turbulence settings at default, but the exaggerated turbulence excursions will be turned down.  

Give it a try.

Agree. I have gone even further down to 20 as per the forum thread and it has done wonders.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I mostly fly A2A and they have been comfortable set at 50, for me. I've tried freeware and a lot of those need 30 or below (even some default craft). If you are using chaseplane then that can add weirdness if settings are out of whack.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Hmm, strange. I use AS4 with the basic setup and so far I did not experience unrealistic behaviour in turbulences. Which precise setting are you guys talking about inside AS4? Might worth checking.

In contrast, I still find most of my flights with smaller planes (e.g. C172, Cherokee but also smaller twin props) rather calm and "train" like compared to the jumpy flights I already experienced as a passenger in smaller planes.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

So much variability here.  I fly GA exclusively - right now mostly the RA Dukes and Milviz 310 redux - and I have AS turbulence scalar set at 80 with what seems to me to be realistic results.  I also fly JF's Arrows (former Turbo Arrow Owner/Pilot) and when flying those I set turbulence to 70, the default, with good results.  No A2A planes - had several in FSX but haven't (yet!) picked any up since moving to P3D so I can't speak to them. 

I can't imagine turning turbulence settings down as far as has been suggested.  I wonder what else is involved here to account for such drastic differences.

Scott

I think it is individual developer and model related variability. With the JF C152 I was just unable to maintain any kind of lateral control so this really helped. Then I came across this linked thread and though it might be interesting for others. Try it out and experiment a bit. I never changed the turbulence scalar in ASP4 but now I have.

Shez

Shez Ansari