Sign in to follow this  
jfwharton

Can't Hear P2A sometimes over FSX SE

I am running windows 10 pro x64 and using a soundblaster z sound card.  I am thinking that windows 10 has issues with sound from two different programs simultaneously.  I have adjusted the windows volume mixer putting FSX SE at 25 and P2A at 100.  In FSX SE I have set the sound levels to 20 for everything except voice which is at 50.  Even at that the sound from FSX SE drowns out P2A.  Sometimes it works well, but half of the time it doesn't.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get more volume out of P2A.  And yes, I have found the volume control for the com radio but there is no volume readout.  Just increase, decrease and mute.  It would be nice if there was a volume indicator in P2A.  Thank you for your assistance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi

I use a program called voicemeeter banana for all my sound. There are 3 cards running on my main machine and 2 on my network machine. The program is donation ware and although can be fun to program at first once you get use to it you will find it great. There is a lot of info on the net about it since that is how a lot of people make their donation to the program. You will find the home address below.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Ken

Thanks for the recommendation.  I downloaded it but don't believe it will solve my issue.  This appears to be a hardware mixer.  The issue is with how Windows 10 handles sound from multiple programs simultaneously.  It seems that FSX makes itself dominant causing the volume from P2A to be diminished.  I have tried various settings with the volume mixer with speakers/microphone and with a gaming headset.  Same issue with both.

As an added note the headset I am using is a Logitech G633 surround sound headset that uses Logitech Gaming Software for sound generation.  It does not go through the sound card.  I am experiencing the same issue when using this headset as when using my speakers.  This makes me think it is something to do with P2A and how it is generating it's sound/voice.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  While flying FSX SE the only change is the volume of the sound coming from P2A.  The sound coming from FSX SE does not change.

As added information, I also fly X-Plane 11 and do not have the sound issue when using P2A with X-Plane 11.  Another thing I noticed, when flying X-Plane 11 the Validate and File buttons once clicked on stay green.  In FSX Steam they turn green when clicked but after a while turn back to white.

I think I have found a solution to this issue.  When I right click on the speaker icon in the notification area (Windows 10) and select "Sounds" a popup comes up.  On the right side there is a communications tab.  There I found the following:

When Windows detects communications activity:

Mute all other sounds
Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%
Reduce the volume of other sounds by 50%
Do nothing

It was set to the second option.  I changed it to "Do nothing".  I have tried several flights since making that change and have not had the issue of the ATC voice from Pilot2ATC decreasing in volume.

Good to hear you found a solution, I had forgotten all about that setting and yes you are correct in saying voicemeeter is a mixer. if you use the VB-Audio Cable https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

This becomes a virtual input that you can set pilot2atc in as its own stream. There is a lot in the program that is not seen at first glance.

Ken