Sign in to follow this  
d.tsakiris

Situational Awareness

Hello everyone,

as already mentioned elsewhere, I am having great difficulties with MCE when flying VFR with PF3 (haven't flown with default ATC for a while now, so I don't know if it's also affected).

Apart from the known difficulties with pattern and/or CTAF calls, on my last few flights I have always had this problem: I am sitting at a holding point and ask Tower for departure clearance. Either nothing happens, or MCE seems to think I am requesting a different runway and does the according keypress. Sometimes, if I inch forward enough (well across the holding line), MCE gets it right eventually. Or I give up and do the keypress myself.

I acknowledge that, as I am flying smaller props lately, I don't taxi to the end of the runway, but I do an intersection take-off instead. Could that contribute to the problem? It seems to me that MCE "thinks" I am still taxiing. What is the mechanism in this situation? I am using 2.7.5.8.

Regards,

Dimitrios

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

VFR situation in MCE/PF3 is still a work in progress and I have similar problems to you. Changing runway verbally is a pain in the a and would like to know if there is a reliable command for that.

On the mechanism I think you have to cross the holding point officially designated at your airport otherwise PF3 doesn't realise that you are ready to transition from taxing to contacting tower. So I don't think you can shortcut the takeoff procedure because the intersection takeoff doesn't trigger the transition. It is worth experimenting. MCE of course still doesn't handle pattern communications with PF3 properly yet and I don't think you can request touchngos either. Please correct me if you have had successes with any of this!

Finally got around to trying the latest version of MCE, and I must say, the flight was very good! MCE unterstood everything at the first try, and it was a VFR flight from and to controlled airfields, with pattern calls, intersection take-off etc. Great fun, thanks for all your great work!

Edited by d.tsakiris

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, d.tsakiris said:

Deleted, because replied to a much older post by accident.

Edited by FS++

1 hour ago, d.tsakiris said:

Finally got around to trying the latest version of MCE, and I must say, the flight was very good! MCE unterstood everything at the first try, and it was a VFR flight from and to controlled airfields, with pattern calls, intersection take-off etc. Great fun, thanks for all your great work!

OK, good. Thanks for feedback.

Sorry, but I do have a follow-up: Reaching FIS at uncontrolled airfields to open or close flight plans is still impossible for me. I recall it can have to do with the callsign. What happens with the callsign "None"? I use that often, as PF3 doesn't offer a number of GA callsigns, and - afaik - in Europe the callsign consists only of the registration. Will using "None" affect the interpretation by MCE?

Best regards, Dimitrios