Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Der8auer's new phase change cooler!

Completely eliminates the pump that's the primary failure point of AIO's. Will be interesting to see how well the final product cools. 

Edited by martin-w

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sounds very promising. The only possible problem I can see (assuming it works in production form, of course) is that at 4:05 he talks about the radiator/condenser in the production unit being "60mm or less" - most AIO radiators are currently about 30mm or less without the fans. A 60mm thick radiator (even assuming that included the fans, which looks unlikely), mounted horizontally, probably wouldn't fit in my case above the MB (and I have a big case designed for liquid cooling). If that's without the fans then it definitely wouldn't fit. I suspect that there are very few, if any, mainstream cases which could take it horizontally at the top of the case. In my opinion it would have to be significantly less than 60mm to sell to anyone other than case modders.

19 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Sounds very promising. The only possible problem I can see (assuming it works in production form, of course) is that at 4:05 he talks about the radiator/condenser in the production unit being "60mm or less" - most AIO radiators are currently about 30mm or less without the fans. A 60mm thick radiator (even assuming that included the fans, which looks unlikely), mounted horizontally, probably wouldn't fit in my case above the MB (and I have a big case designed for liquid cooling). If that's without the fans then it definitely wouldn't fit. I suspect that there are very few, if any, mainstream cases which could take it horizontally at the top of the case. In my opinion it would have to be significantly less than 60mm to sell to anyone other than case modders.

Interesting point. I missed that. 

According to Gamer’s Nexus, Der8auer and CaseKing plan to reduce the size of the cooler and hydralic tubing to make it more in line with a typical 240mm or 360mm AIO liquid cooler and it would be comparable in performance with them without the need for a pump and its associated noise, size, and risk of failure.

"More in line with a typical 240mm or 360mm AIO" they say.  Whether they are referring to the tank, or other components is unclear. He did say "something like 60mm or less" so sounds like he's guessing. Hopefully the designers will have considered case compatibility.

Nice thing is if there are any leaks it's not an issue. I know conventional custom loop fluid is non conductive, but does tend to become conductive over time. 

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Computex-2018-CaseKing-and-Der8auer-Debut-Phase-Shift-Cooler-AIO-Prototype?pcper_ajax_tabs_block_tab=1&referer=node%2F69789&args=

Cool idea. I'm curious what is the boiling temperature of this coolant.

1 hour ago, Daedalus said:

Cool idea. I'm curious what is the boiling temperature of this coolant.

It was 61c with his previous endeavours, but I believe this has an even lower boiling point.

This cooler, along with the IC thermal pad, could really be the way ahead. Can't wait to see the results (and cost) for the final product.

Had 3 LCS and never any issues. Currently on EKWB Extreme set with push/pull ...

5 hours ago, GSalden said:

Had 3 LCS and never any issues. Currently on EKWB Extreme set with push/pull ...

I've also not had any issues with liquid cooling. However, you can never be too safe (especially if it works well).