Sign in to follow this  
Eugenio Lo Cicero

MIDI CONTROLLER ON FSX

Hello everyone and as always, thanks in advance for the help

a few days ago in a box I found a midi controller of the Native Instrument (model X1) that I used with music programs such as Ableton or Traktor, now I would like to connect this controller to the simulator but I have no idea how to do

any suggestions?

thank you

Eugenio

the controller have allready usb cable and is connected on pc it work with my music program my problem its how i can identify as a joypad like this i can associate the keys on the sim

Edited by Eugenio Lo Cicero

I don't think it will work.  It sends digital music signals to your computer.  That's why it works with music programs. Splurge on a joystick controller.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi,

what you need is a software like Novation Automap, which translates MIDI commands into keyboard events. This is the only solution that I know from experience, and I am not sure if it will work with NI hardware, but there's bound to be more apps like this out there. I always wanted to write one myself, because Automap does no longer work with P3D V4.2 (keyboard events are ignored although they still work in other applications), but I never got around to actually do it. I have a Novation Launchpad and a Nocturn that I successfully used in FSX on Windows 7 though. Having rotary encoders and the large illuminated pads for example for a 0-9 grid for ATC plus direct view switches was a nice touch.

Edit: out of curiosity I asked Google and found this article:

https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-midi-translation-midi-to-keystrokes--audio-6914

Edit 2:
...and once you are getting keystrokes from your device, you can assign those to simulator events, either with the dialog in the sim (for the basic ones) or with FSUIPC (for everything else).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

thanks for the answer, if I understand well these programs transform the midi in the shortcut of the keyboard but always if I understood correctly in this way I could use only the buttons and not the knobs?

19 minutes ago, Eugenio Lo Cicero said:

thanks for the answer, if I understand well these programs transform the midi in the shortcut of the keyboard but always if I understood correctly in this way I could use only the buttons and not the knobs?

That depends on the software. With Automap it is possible to assign the rotary encoder events too (left turn / right turn). You would typically assign this to a keystroke / simulator event of the same kind (like COM_RADIO_WHOLE_DEC / COM_RADIO_WHOLE_INC or HEADING_BUG_INC / HEADING_BUG_DEC).

But - this is not a use case that is typical for musicians. Why assign something to your midi device that your keyboard can do anyway. Which is why I always wanted to write my own driver software. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

thanks for help i ll try this evening 

EDIT: 

so from Native Instrument i found a program but it gives me the possibility to change only parameters for music programs while on the internet I found this program from the site you suggested in the search "Bome's MIDI Translator" should do the same thing I think

Edited by Eugenio Lo Cicero

52 minutes ago, Eugenio Lo Cicero said:

thanks for help i ll try this evening 

I have downloaded the latest version of Automap, and it looks like this is for Novation hardware only. Works fine with my Launchpad though.

But I just couldn't resist and started a small experiment to find out how hard it was to process midi messages in software - and it is ridiculously easy. So I will definitely slap together a small app that will translate MIDI events into simulator events. The real work will be the code to make all the simulator events available for assignment, there is a ton of them. But I will definitely do this, it has been bugging me too for a while. If you want, send me a PM here, and I will make a prototype available to you as soon as I have it. The app will be freeware anyway.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI