Sign in to follow this  
ford_friendly

Advice for returning simmer?

On 7/2/2018 at 1:28 AM, spilok said:

I surely know that $199 for P3d sounds like a lot; however you need to know that 64 bit simulation IS THE FUTURE.  I migrated from FSX to P3d and although is was an initial expense, the reward far outweighed me spending tons of money on a simulator that was dying.  The crispness of scenery as far as the eye can see, the lack of OOMs that plagued me in FSX, and the beauty of the P3d sim ( and NOW the latest release of 4.3), and the knowledge of seeing the P3d sim moving toward the future were enough for me.

Every time you BUY an addon or whatever in FSX will be money wasted IMHO.  Making the switch makes great financial sense.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make the right moves for the future of simulation.

Think about it!

Stan

More than this, FSX is becoming obsolete, day by day. There are no updates from steam. So any problems for example, caused from a  Windows update(it happened before) will be a stopper for FSX. I paid a lot for FSX addons 😭 which I have to re buy for P3d but it is something i can't avoid. The sooner you move to P3d the less money you 'll spend. And i have the feeling that Flight Sim companies are silently stopping updates for their FSX related products. It is just a feeling i have. If you own a PC with good specs you must go for P3D.

Regards.

Well, I decided to stay with "what I know/remember" for the near future though the responses advising moving to P3D make a lot of sense. I bought some Orbx stuff that will transfer over if/when I make the move and will stick with freeware a/c and scenery otherwise until I DO make the move.

Appreciate all the inputs though.

If you are on a budget, there is no better option than XP11. Just buy the sim and you can get TONS of top-quality freeware, from scenery to aircraft. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

13 hours ago, GCBraun said:

If you are on a budget, there is no better option than XP11. Just buy the sim and you can get TONS of top-quality freeware, from scenery to aircraft. 

I decided the best option for me was to stick with FSX, actually FSX:SE.

Specifically addressing your point, though, more freeware is available in all categories for FSX than any other flight sim available today (except FS2004 which wasn't under consideration by me). If you have verifiable numbers supporting a counter argument that XP-11 has more freeware available, please point me to the reference source. I'm willing to be disabused of my position, though I don't think it's likely. 

2 hours ago, ford_friendly said:

I decided the best option for me was to stick with FSX, actually FSX:SE.

Specifically addressing your point, though, more freeware is available in all categories for FSX than any other flight sim available today (except FS2004 which wasn't under consideration by me). If you have verifiable numbers supporting a counter argument that XP-11 has more freeware available, please point me to the reference source. I'm willing to be disabused of my position, though I don't think it's likely. 

Even though it is dead, FSX is 12 years old at this point. Of course it may have MORE freeware content. I am talking about QUALITY here, not QUANTITY. XP11 is a current-gen platform that comes out of the box with great GA aircraft and the very, very capable G1000 navigation suite with VNAV, Airport Maps, Terrain and SID/STARS. You can add a very good 737NG and photo-scenery texture for basically the whole world for free. And I did not even mention the thousands of airports and great plugins available for the platform. Please remember that the Hub for all things XP is not AVSIM, but X-plane.org.

Just check the download section for some minutes and you`ll see what I mean...

Look, you were the one saying that you have been out of the loop for a while. If you still think FSX is the best option in 2018, have fun.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Hello,

I am also a long time simmer. I personally liked 9.1 the most. I waited very long to switch over to FSX. And I knew it would be a hard one. Now having a powerful system I can enjoy simming. It took me more than a year to find out, I think longer..., to find the "right settings".  I don't have every week time to test almost a day, because when I test it takes that long. Sometimes I still change little things to see the effects. I am with FSX not Steam. The decision to change to SE wasn't a question. It's not worth it from what I saw. My FSX runs the same. P3D is a bit better, but for me no question. Reading the terms of use stopped my interest. X-Plane is very nice, but I think a bit too bumpy. I will keep an eye on that!  Maybe other sims are coming, but it will take a lot of time to convince me. Because: The fight for money goes on and on and on. If there is a real brakethrough we will know! If not, I will not spend any cent more in simming. Buying over and over for almost the same problems is a nogo! FSX is not a beauty comparing it newer sims, but for me it works quite good. I can fly (with vas control) anywhere I want.

My final words to this: we don't need half way ok sims. We are desperately waiting for a full working product with all options FSX has and more to come without developers who are killing almost the hobby just for money or beeing the finest of their own.