c912039

How do I set individual core speeds?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I have an ASUS Z370MB, 8700K CPU with an AIO water cooler.

I have configured manual overclocking in the BIOS, and Ive been able to overclock to 5.1GHZ on all cores (setting each individually, and not synced), and under load my temps are 55 degs @ 1.37V.

P3D would seem to benefit from as higher clock rate on core 0 as possible. As I currently have very stable temps at relatively low V with my current overclock, I was hoping that I might be able to bump up the clock rate on core 0 to something like 5.3GHz.

I have set the clock rate on core 0 to 5.3 in the BIOS, with the remaining cores at 5.1, however I'm not sure that W10 is actually running with a higher freq core 0.
I'm using HWInfo to check the individual core freqs when running P3D, and all cores are reporting back a max speed of 5.1, including core 0.

What am I doing wrong?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Quote

I have configured manual overclocking in the BIOS, and Ive been able to overclock to 5.1GHZ on all cores (setting each individually, and not synced), and under load my temps are 55 degs @ 1.37V.

 

Not sure why you are setting each individually but overclocking each core the same. Sync all cores does the same. 5.1 though is a great result.

 

 

Quote

P3D would seem to benefit from as higher clock rate on core 0 as possible. As I currently have very stable temps at relatively low V with my current overclock, I was hoping that I might be able to bump up the clock rate on core 0 to something like 5.3GHz.

 

I would say not worth the effort and increased CPU degradation, heat etc. A mere 200 MHz wont be noticeable in terms of performance. At 30 frames per second it's barely more than 1 FPS. No point. 

 

Quote

I have set the clock rate on core 0 to 5.3 in the BIOS, with the remaining cores at 5.1, however I'm not sure that W10 is actually running with a higher freq core 0.
I'm using HWInfo to check the individual core freqs when running P3D, and all cores are reporting back a max speed of 5.1, including core 0.

 

Not sure. Westman would be the expert in this respect, but I have to say that your aim of a mere 200 MHz on one core isn't going to yield an increase in performance you would even notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, martin-w said:

 

Not sure. Westman would be the expert in this respect, but I have to say that your aim of a mere 200 MHz on one core isn't going to yield an increase in performance you would even notice.

Martin , you have answered it in the MCE tread , its not as in the  x299 cpus there you can do it but on this is as you say tboost when  only run one core , intel turbo boost.

P3D use all cores and it set at 5.1 last in bios , if put 5.4,5,3,5,2,5.1 in bios, run P3D it do 5.1

I dont use that at all , i run sync all cores 

Edited by westman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, westman said:

Martin , you have answered it in the MCE tread , its not as in the  x299 cpus there you can do it but on this is as you say tboost when  only run one core , intel turbo boost.

P3D use all cores and it set at 5.1 last in bios , if put 5.4,5,3,5,2,5.1 in bios, run P3D it do 5.1

I dont use that at all , i run sync all cores 

 

 

Right, I think I get what you are saying Hasse.

When you set per core, you aren't activating Intel Turbo Boost per say, otherwise you would be restricted to Intel's max of 4.7 GHz on one core.

So setting per core, activates the Asus interpretation of Turbo Boost that's not restricted to Intel's max Turbo frequency. Thus, he sees the lower frequency he set when more than one core is active.

I had forgotten that "per core" functioned in a similar way to Intel Turbo and was wrongly assuming it would allow complete manual control of core frequencies.

 

Edited by martin-w

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, martin-w said:

 

 

Right, I think I get what you are saying Hasse.

When you set per core, you aren't activating Intel Turbo Boost per say, otherwise you would be restricted to Intel's max of 4.7 GHz on one core.

So setting per core, activates the Asus interpretation of Turbo Boost that's not restricted to Intel's max Turbo frequency. Thus, he sees the lower frequency he set when more than one core is active.

I had forgotten that "per core" functioned in a similar way to Intel Turbo and was wrongly assuming it would allow complete manual control of core frequencies.

 

correct Martin, My bad eng is hard to understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now