Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

ATC too many changes!

Guest jayson2830

Is it just me or does Fs2004 ATC change controllers too often. It has come to the point where I hate to use it. Number one, they change controllers,sometimes within five seconds of having contacted the one you are talking to, and they take you off your planned flight plan way too soon and start vectoring you to set up for the approach. I tried Radar contact but the voices are not real even if you have the speech speeded way up.Now I try to fly all my flights without ATC.

Guest rpjkw1155

I think a lot of that is because of the various ATC sectors. Enter a new sector and you report in all over again. It does become a pain in the butt sometimes. Another pet peeve of mine is when the SAME voice is used for both controller and pilot. :-(My ears listen for differences and there aren't any.:( Here's hoping FSX will improve both situations.CheersBob:

One thing that may help you is not to accept FS's vectoring to an approach. I never do. Instead, I select an approach for the options given to me (at the time of 'vectoring' to the AP), and follow the actual terminal procedure for the RWY given/selected.If FS does not offer the approach I want, I will cancel my IFR plan, and fly it VFR instead. Not always realistic, but its better than being vectored way too soon, and kinda 'silly' at times. I have not been 'vectored' to an approach in many many months now.

>I tried Radar contact but the>voices are not real even if you have the speech speeded way>up.Now I try to fly all my flights without ATC.I felt the same way about Radar Contact when I first bought it, but I soon got used to the slow speech and now will not fly without it. I find the experience with Radar Contact much more realistic.You might try giving Radar Contact another chance....Cheers!Joel @ CYVR (not far from CYNJ, really)

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

One thing to watch for is you altitude.FS has rather inflexible boundaries for ATC zones. Flying at 10,000 ft you can easily get into a cycle where at 9,999 ft you are told to contact one ATC center, and at 10,001 ft you are told to contact another.Alter your altitude by 100 ft to keep from crossing the boundary inadvertently. FL180 also seems to be a boundary in many places.The other is near the edge of Class B airspace, and the airspace boundaries you see on the GPS. You can get into a situation there where you are crossing an ATC boundary frequently if your course runs along the border. Alter your course a half mile to either side.Also watchout for international country borders - same deal - especially in Europe.Those won't completely eliminate the issue - but do help.The biggie - as stated above - it to never accept "Vectors to final" for an approach - choose a different approach - they are all displayed on the GPS, and the GPS will fly them.And they were all real world procedures about Oct 2002 when the database was compiled.

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

ATC is pretty frustrating. Haven't heard whether FSX will fix it, but I wouldn't count on it. From what I've heard the emphasis in FSX development has been on the gaming aspects (multiplayer, graphics, arcade-like challenges)to attract and engage a broader audience and less on the real world procedures. I wonder whether you are using the patched version of radar contact? The voices were jarring in the initial release, but I find I can tolerate the patched versions fine, especially in light of all the advances the program provides.

Guest Loiosh

FSX will not be addressing the ATC too much. See the FSX forum. They've mentioned bug fixes.

Guest iholrf

Yep... drives me nuts too. Like others I now file an IFR flight plan only if the departure or arrival points are IFR (I fly real weather only). The rest of the flight is VFR with the occasional flight flight following or transition request if I feel the need for ATC chatter.I will always accept ATC's runway but will fly the approach and final as outlined in the GPS Proc.For me the controler hand-offs are ony part of the annoyance... the other part is the fact ATC often gets confused and handoffs do not succeed (radio does not tune to new freq) and end up being endlessly repeated.CheersShad