Sign in to follow this  
WilliamB

Black Aircraft Selection Screen/FSX Locksup

After updating my AMD RX 580 graphics card, FSX initial screen opened but had completely black aircraft selection screen.  All other items worked correctly.  When the fly key was pushed the screen was black and vibrating, scenery loading was attempted, and FSX locked up.  I restored my computer to an earlier time when  FSX and the graphics driver were functioning.  I uninstalled and reinstalled an old and new graphics driver several times. Neither action solved the problem.  I searched several FSX forums and found this issue has occurred in past mostly on earlier MS Flight Simulater versions.  No recommended solutions found solved my problem.  I can like to avoid a complete reinstall of FSX and addons.    I  would appreciate any possible solutions to this problem anyone may have.

Thank you.

WilliamB

Asrock Z97M OC Formula MB,  lntel i7-4790 CPU@4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB,  AMD RX 580 8GB Graphics Card , Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit, Boxed Version FSX Gold Edition with Acceleration

Always consider the complete uninstall/re-install as a very last resort. Consider the Repair option as an alternative.  There is a proper order of things to do.  Also the Repair does not affect your addons , just any altered files like .cfgs.  Consider the Repair option if no other suggestions help.

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.
You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.
IMPORTANT:
Acceleration Repair only fixes what the Acceleration expansion pack modifies/adds. It will not repair core FSX files.
If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they will have to be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.
You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks very much for your advise, Charlie!

I am not familiar with the "repair"  option.  Is there a location that describes the process?  Is it

listed on the original FSX Gold Edition discs? 

WilliamB

Once you are prepared to do this, after appropriate things are uninstalled, insert disc 1 and choose the Repair option.

Like I said, don't be in a huge rush.  Wait for more suggestions.

It wouldn't hurt to check your FSX.cfg for the proper display device like I show for mine:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6100.0]
Mode=1360x768x32
TriLinear=1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Charlie,

I will be patient and see what other suggestions may come.  I have looked at my FSX.cft file but will check it again.   Also will review all FSX related files to determine what should be removed and saved in the event i have to do a repair.

Thanks

WilliamB

Something else I thought of.....go to where your FSX.CFG is and find a file called dll.xml and remove it to somewhere safe and try restarting FSX and see if smoke comes out of your computer (kidding)!  See if it works!  If no change, just put that file back in.

You are a gentleman and scholar!  Don't tell anyone I said so!😉

Charlie Aron

Charlie,

I removed the dll.xml file from my FSX.cfg.  Ran FSX and the same problem remained. I wish it had worked.

Thanks.

WilliamB

You may need to rebuild your shaders if you have a new G.card

Edited by MaDDogz

Luke Pype

MadDDogz,

I am not familiar with shaders.  I did see two shader cache lines under [graphics] in the FSX.cfg file but  I don't know what they do or how to rebuild them.  I don't have new card.  I did, however, install a driver update.  How does one rebuild shaders? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

WilliamB

Hi William,

Are you running FSX:MS in DX9 default mode or DX10 possibly with the DX10fixer. 

If DX9 then locate C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders
then move to a safe location or delete the Shaders folder, FSX will rebuild Shaders when next started.

If DX10 then do the same move or delete but this time its the Shaders10 folder located here: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10 

If you use DX10 it can't hurt to move/delete both Shaders & Shaders10 folders, FSX will rebuild the API you use accordingly.

For a first timer in this area of the sim, I would choose the move option (as safety backup) rather than delete the folder immediately, you can always return it to its former state. As you fly in various situations and locations your shaders / shaders10 will repopulate with the required files.

Hello Jethro,

Thanks for your help.  I did find an article in the FSX times about redoing the shaders caches but it did not offer much explanation.  I must be running DX9 as the shaders10 folder is empty while the shaders folder has several other folders each filled with files.  I definitely believe your advice regarding saving the Shaders folders is sound and will do it.   I have two questions: 1. After saving the FSX folder with the shaders in it, should I delete the shaders folders and leave the empty FSX folder or just delete the FSX folder as well,  2.  I have two shader cache lines in my FSX.cfg  [graphics] area  SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
                          SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672     Should I delete them or leave them alone?

I really appreciate your thoughts!

WilliamB

Hi William,

Yes from your description you are in DX9 mode so the procedure is to  Only remove / Delete or move the Shaders folder including its subfolders and files,  and yes by all means remove the Shaders folder,
FSX will not rebuild your shaders if it remains as is. 
do not remove the Folder tree "FSX"  C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

The empty Shaders10 folder without any subfolders or files indicates that you have never utilised DX10 mode, and so remains unpopulated. This is Ok!

1 hour ago, WilliamB said:

1. After saving the FSX folder with the shaders in it, should I delete the shaders folders and leave the empty FSX folder

Yes

or just delete the FSX folder as well,

No, do not delete the FSX folder

2.  I have two shader cache lines in my FSX.cfg  [graphics] area  SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
                          SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672     Should I delete them or leave them alone?

No it is not necessary to touch these entries in the fsx.cfg -  in the past the consensus was to increase the value =1693500672 to the next increment ie;  =1693500673  but there is no harm or need for any incremental adjustments to those lines.

Edited by Jethro

Thanks Jethro,

I will proceed and let you know how it turns out.

WilliamB

Thanks Jethro,

I will proceed and let you know how it turns out.

WilliamB

I agree with Jethro, rebuilding the shaders will probably fix the issue. It’s always a good idea to delete the shaders and let them rebuild after installing a new video card or new video card drivers.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jethro,

I ran FSX after saving the shader files, deleting the shader files from FSX and running FSX with an empty FSX (shaders) folder.  It did not solve the problem.  It looks like the FSX program does not get far enough to populate shaders/subfolders as all are empty.  It would be interesting to know what causes the Black aircraft selection screen as this is immediately present in the first FSX screen.  I don't know if it matters but I am running FSX in fullscreen mode with AMD Eyefinity enabled on three screens.  Initially I wanted to change FSX display to windows mode but am unable to get to the FSX control menu to make such changes. I can change resolution but this results in FSX running on three screens instead of an expanded screen with the same problem.   It looks like my only option is to try the FSX repair option and if that does not work delete FSX/Addons and reinstall completely.   Something I was hoping to avoid.

Thanks for your thoughts time and effort.

WilliamB