Sign in to follow this  
sanookBKK

Feedback an questions

Ok, after one week of using MCE with FSLabs A320
I must say it is a very powerful multi crew tool.
I was able to tailor the checklists and flows to my needs
even making my co-pilot answering my FMA announcements,
great !

I still have some difficulties and it is Time for some questions :

- Despite reading the GSX&AES.pdf, i am not able to use
  GSX by voice. but the ground crew reads the things from the green text from gsx and
  close or open doors or tell me when refuelling or boarding are complete.

- I am also unable to give order to the MCE ground staff, he only answer to "cockpit to ground"

- Can the co-pilot trim the aircraft by reading the PERF page of the MCDU ?
- if he cannot read the MCDU, is there a command to make him trim to "1.5 UP" for example ?

- Didn't find any command to turn the PWS SCAN on or off, is there any ?

- Is there a command to set go around altitute like " set go around to 5000 ft ?

- Can we create scripts that make the co-pilot do some action by passing a certain altitude? I did not find that in the docs.

- Is it possible to make co-pilot voice volume more loud ? Volume is max but in flight with the wind on the cockpit I don't ear them loud and
  clear except Andy

- Could the interface read the MCDU for DEP and ARR or other things in the monitor tab ? it sometimes read the DEP airport but not always and never
  read the ARR airport. If not is there a way to enter that manually ?

- When the co-pilot handle the radio it always "don't have traffic in sight" Could he answer that he have traffic in sight ?

- When i say "cabin crew prepare for take-off" the purser answers that the cabin is ready but her voice is very loud and clear like if she was
  seating behind us in the cockpit when her voice should come thru the intercom and like filtered thru a speaker. Is it possible to correct that ?

- Sometime the co-pilot does not anymore understand anything about the checklist even simple word like "on" or "off" and says nothing but when i ask "are you there"? he answers.
- many time i have to say "EUUF" for the copilot to understand "off"
- He also sometime confuse "OFF" and "ON". I say "switch this off" and he says "switching this on". i say again and he says "this is already on"

- Something more annoying is that when he does not understand something he sometimes starts to do stupid things in the cockpit that mess everything.
  Is there a way to minimize that ?

- Finally the voices of the co pilots are sometime quite robotic.From your experiences, is this worth investing in TTS voices like cerevoice (quite expensive)
  Are these paid voices working better and if yes, which one are the best ?

I know that's a lot of questions, thanks in advance for your answers 😉

3 hours ago, sanookBKK said:

Ok, after one week of using MCE with FSLabs A320
I must say it is a very powerful multi crew tool.
I was able to tailor the checklists and flows to my needs
even making my co-pilot answering my FMA announcements,
great !

Thanks for feedback
I still have some difficulties and it is Time for some questions :

GSX by voice. but the ground crew reads the things from the green text from gsx and
  close or open doors or tell me when refuelling or boarding are complete.

A Ramp agent will typically introduce him/herself at your current location. Example, agent "Christiane" in France, or Marco in the Baltics. You then request services like "Christiane we need catering", "Marco we are requesting catering", "Simon we need refueling", "Ray we'd like to start boarding". There are many verbiage variations. The ramp agent will then handle the GSX or AES menu selection, and MCE will monitor the green bar to check what GSX is doing..

- I am also unable to give order to the MCE ground staff, he only answer to "cockpit to ground"

All requests to ground mechanic start with "ground", "mechanic", "ground engineer". Example, "ground connect ground power", "mechanic disconnect ground power"

You're probably used to speaking different sentences for ground crew interaction. Could you list them?

No, we haven't managed to read any CDU info with FSL A320. Even with those supported aircraft like PMDG 737, PMDG 777 won't let you read all CDU info. Usually only allow access to Vspeeds, trans alt, Vref and a few other parameters.

- if he cannot read the MCDU, is there a command to make him trim to "1.5 UP" for example ?

There are commands in "FMC CDU_Commands" document, not meant to be spoken directly, even though you can do that if you wish.

The idea is that you could come up with a script triggered with say "set elevator trim one and a half up" (or whatever sentence you desire), then as part of the script, have separate micro commands to select correct CDU page to get to the page where trim is inserted and include commands that would type 1.5 UP, followed by an insertion to the correct LSKey or RSKey.

This is a script that could achieve that using FO side CDU

right cdu press perf

right cdu press slash

right cdu press u

right cdu press p

right cdu press one

right cdu press decimal

right cdu press five

right cdu press rsk three

The above should get "UP1.5" inserted into RSK3 in "PERF" page.

Now, let's say you want to give yourself options to set various trim levels without doing all the typing from scratch. Clone the script and name the cloned one using the alternative trigger sentences, say "set elevator trim one up". Edit the cloned script so that it only types 1 instead of 1.5.   You get the point :smile:

Never implemented such commands. We usually leave out some items that people hardly use via voice. It can be done. Any 3D switch that moves can be controlled. 

- Is there a command to set go around altitute like " set go around to 5000 ft ?

There isn't. However, the speech grammar file that handles requests to set altitude can be amended to give you the variation "set go around altitude ZZZZ" or "select go around altitude ZZZZ"

- Can we create scripts that make the co-pilot do some action by passing a certain altitude? I did not find that in the docs.

Unfortunately, there are no sim "events" such as "passing this altitude or that one". This would need to be hard coded. And although it's doable, we'd rather leave it to users to trigger it as they see fit. Example custom script "passing ten thousand drill"

- Is it possible to make co-pilot voice volume more loud ? Volume is max but in flight with the wind on the cockpit I don't ear them loud and
  clear except Andy.

You may not be aware of this, Windows has a built-in feature whereby it occasionally automatically attenuates the audio level of applications it deems are background tasks.

Because MCE and the speech engine it hosts inside "mce.exe" runs as an external process to the simulator for better stability of the latter, Windows may reduce audio level. You can disable that "auto-attenuation" which may also affect apps like PF3, Radar Contact ATC as follows..

Go to Windows Control Panel and start <Sound> applet. In new window go to <Communications> tab. Make sure you select option "Do Nothing".

- Could the interface read the MCDU for DEP and ARR or other things in the monitor tab ? it sometimes read the DEP airport but not always and never

Have never come across any aircraft, including those that give you an easy SDK to work with, provide access to flight plan waypoints, origin and destination, distance between 2 wpts etc.. Just tell your Fo "destination airport is Kilo Mike India Alpha" or whatever ICAO ID.

- When the co-pilot handle the radio it always "don't have traffic in sight" Could he answer that he have traffic in sight ?

Unless there is some sort of bug with that specific code section, he's supposed to ask you to confirm whether you do have it in sight and reply accordingly. Pay attention to his prompts.

- When i say "cabin crew prepare for take-off" the purser answers that the cabin is ready but her voice is very loud and clear like if she was
  seating behind us in the cockpit when her voice should come thru the intercom and like filtered thru a speaker. Is it possible to correct that ?

That's done on purpose. Purser will typically open the cockpit door and enter the cockpit, speak to you, then leave. Yes, communication can happen over the intercom too, we just chose to do it this way.

If you wish, you can bypass all MCE cabin crew interaction altogether.

Should you have a real world airline cabin crew pre-recorded stuff in wav format, you could create custom interaction with flight attendants, and instead of adding <commands> as part of the script, you add <Sound> (real world recording) to be played.

- Sometime the co-pilot does not anymore understand anything about the checklist even simple word like "on" or "off" and says nothing but when i ask "are you there"? he answers.

If you submit your custom checklist to support, we can smooth out the rough edges. In MCE context, checklist is more than just reply as written.

FO looks for keywords in the checklist challenge, then depending on whether item state can be checked and the expected status, he would accept a range of answers.

- He also sometime confuse "OFF" and "ON". I say "switch this off" and he says "switching this on". i say again and he says "this is already on"

Suggest you create a brand new speech profile in Windows control panel, make it active and train it from scratch using our supplied speech training tool geared towards Aviation jargon. Start->Multi Crew Experience->Speech Training. Do not overdo training. One session per topic is more than enough.

- Something more annoying is that when he does not understand something he sometimes starts to do stupid things in the cockpit that mess everything.

Although that can happen, most critical actions are secured against accidental trigger with FO always requiring confirmation. I mean things olike "irs off", "shutdown engine one", "shutdown apu", "disconnect ground power", even "autopilot off", "fd off" when airborne, etc. If you come across something that was overlooked, do let us know.

- Finally the voices of the co pilots are sometime quite robotic.From your experiences, is this worth investing in TTS voices like cerevoice (quite expensive)

Indeed, due to extreme flexibility, MCE cannot offer the best audio. You would mostly notice the "robotic feel" either when using custom replies or on a very long "verbose flow".

Only 3 recorded human voice packs come as part of the initial install. There are 7 other FO voice packs available for free download separately.

Just keep in mind, MCE being a 32 Bit application (only our dlls running inside P3D V4 need to be 64 bit), make sure when you get a voice, it is SAPI 5 compatible and comes with either "both 64 and 32 bit variants" or at least just the 32 Bit variant of the voice.

I'll let other users chime in regarding TTS voices.

I know that's a lot of questions, thanks in advance for your answers 😉

It's OK. 😎

Answers embedded above.

Thanks for your prompt answer Gerald,

As there was many questions, I will go thru it, doing more testing and report back here.

• Like 1

FOLLOW UP

I can make gsx working by voice now, except that it is very difficult to hear the name when he introduces himself.

All requests to ground mechanic start with "ground", "mechanic", "ground engineer". Example, "ground connect ground power", "mechanic disconnect ground power"

Still no success if i say "ground connect ground power" nothing happen. Anyway what i want to achieve with that is FSLabs A3XX specific as i want the ground staff to disconnect the GPU (or the chocks) as I do manually in the MCDU/OPTION/EXT CTRLS....but maybe that is not possible and in that case i will keep doing it manually, not a big deal.

No, we haven't managed to read any CDU info with FSL A320. Even with those supported aircraft like PMDG 737, PMDG 777 won't let you read all CDU info. Usually only allow access to Vspeeds, trans alt, Vref and a few other parameters.

I was not clear on this one. Now I understand that it cannot read the settings in the MCDU then trim it in a flow. So Is it possible that the FO trim the aircraft to the good setting if i tell him for example "trim 1.5 UP"

Never implemented such commands. We usually leave out some items that people hardly use via voice. It can be done. Any 3D switch that moves can be controlled. 

In fact i don't want to make a voice order for this one but just want to include it in a flow, so yes it would be nice if we could have a command to move that PWS "OFF/AUTO

- Is there a command to set go around altitute like " set go around to 5000 ft ?"

There isn't. However, the speech grammar file that handles requests to set altitude can be amended to give you the variation "set go around altitude ZZZZ" or "select go around altitude ZZZZ"

Right now i say "set FLIGHT LEVEL 050" and it works but would be better if as you suggest i could say something like "set go around altitude to FLXXX or XXXX"

Have never come across any aircraft, including those that give you an easy SDK to work with, provide access to flight plan waypoints, origin and destination, distance between 2 wpts etc.. Just tell your Fo "destination airport is Kilo Mike India Alpha" or whatever ICAO ID.

No success with that. when i say "destination airport is XXXX (miltary alphabet)"  he ask me to confirm if the "frequency i want is XXXX" or "i could not set blah bla blah"

Solved.

In fact the FA could enter the cockpit when you say "cabin crew prepare for departure" before push (which she does well), but the call "cabin crew prepare for take-off" is done just before take off when you are (nearly) cleared for take off, cabin crew are already seaten seatbelt fasten and they will certainly not unfasten sb , stand up and type the code of the cockpit to answer at that moment.

There is either no answer at all or they answer thru the intercom depending on airlines. Btw i did not have time to try your solution yet with creating sound command.

I didn't re-do the training as you said not to overdo it. But many time even if my mike is closed the FO says things like "yes" or "ok" "sure" and i noticed in the red words in the sim window that he was answering to "attention" even if i said nothing and my mike is off

Now there is a new thing quite annoying he starts to say "slat retracted" every now and then and sometime 5 or 6 times in a row answering to the order "slat in" even if i keep my mouth shut.I don't understand where these orders are coming from as i said nothing. Note that i am using a 50€ headset with noise reduction

Although that can happen, most critical actions are secured against accidental trigger with FO always requiring confirmation. I mean things olike "irs off", "shutdown engine one", "shutdown apu", "disconnect ground power", even "autopilot off", "fd off" when airborne, etc. If you come across something that was overlooked, do let us know.

This is going mad too. Last time he started the engines at the gate after i said something which had nothing to do with it. But the worth thing is that now he starts to interfere with my sim, last time i said "seat belt signs off" and he did "sim rate off" and changed the sim rate. Most of the time it happen silently (i catched it by looking at the red words). I thought i had a problem with the FSLabs A3XX only to realize that it was because the sim rate had been changed by the FO. Today i did a surprising rocket take off then i realized the FO had set the simulation rate x2.

I really don't want MCE to change anything concerning SIM or views or anything which has nothing to do with cockpit interaction or flying. Is there a way to disable these commands ?

Also i don't know much about speech recognition but why sometimes i am able to do one leg without much problems and on the return leg the FO seems to understand nothing even if it is the same plane same hardware same orders that he understood before like a charm. It happen even if i restart MCE. Any idea or advice ? It is so cool when it works well as it is frustrating when it starts to do stupid things. I even surprised myself  insulting my FO lolooool 😉

1 hour ago, sanookBKK said:

First, need to establish contact with mechanic before you can ask him to connect GPU or open/close cargo doors.

First, use "cockpit to ground" to get his attention, then use "ground connect ground power". And don't forget to release him "ground you may disconnect", unless you're using GSX in which case he'll transfer you to GSX mechanic

Ground power is made available via simulated clicks in captain CDU

Should be doable. You can manually set elevator trim to any position, then say "reset elevator trim" and he should reset it to zero.

In fact i don't want to make a voice order for this one but just want to include it in a flow, so yes it would be nice if we could have a command to move that PWS "OFF/AUTO

consider it done in next update

In fact the FA could enter the cockpit when you say "cabin crew prepare for departure" before push (which she does well), but the call "cabin crew prepare for take-off" is done just before take off when you are (nearly) cleared for take off, cabin crew are already seaten seatbelt fasten and they will certainly not unfasten sb , stand up and type the code of the cockpit to answer at that moment.

There is either no answer at all or they answer thru the intercom depending on airlines. Btw i did not have time to try your solution yet with creating sound command.

I didn't re-do the training as you said not to overdo it. But many time even if my mike is closed the FO says things like "yes" or "ok" "sure" and i noticed in the red words in the sim window that he was answering to "attention" even if i said nothing and my mike is off

Now there is a new thing quite annoying he starts to say "slat retracted" every now and then and sometime 5 or 6 times in a row answering to the order "slat in" even if i keep my mouth shut.I don't understand where these orders are coming from as i said nothing. Note that i am using a 50€ headset with noise reduction

I do believe you need a brand new speech profile, train it from scratch using our tool  (Aviation Jargon) and not overdo training after that.

I can already hear the argument "it's working perfectly with the other voice control program" so why should I do that?

Simple, the other program is a scripted adventure. It disables all commands and only enables a specific command at a specific time. When you do that, you'll get 100% recognition, even if you make any noise, because the speech engine is eager to return a positive result on the only speech command expected at that time.

MCE has tens of thousands of potential commands it's listening to at any given time.

You could be on final, replying to checklist challenges, have the Fo dial heading, speed, altitude or flip the odd switch thing that is out of reach to you, or want to check the latest wind or runway length with him. All being possible at the same time. A fully interactive crew simulation, with no assumptions as to what you want to do next.

This is going mad too. Last time he started the engines at the gate after i said something which had nothing to do with it.

May add request for confirmation before he actually starts engines. I think this one is overdue, as I had it happen to myself at least twice over the last couple of years.

But the worth thing is that now he starts to interfere with my sim, last time i said "seat belt signs off" and he did "sim rate off" and changed the sim rate. Most of the time it happen silently (i catched it by looking at the red words). I thought i had a problem with the FSLabs A3XX only to realize that it was because the sim rate had been changed by the FO. Today i did a surprising rocket take off then i realized the FO had set the simulation rate x2.
 I really don't want MCE to change anything concerning SIM or views or anything which has nothing to do with cockpit interaction or flying. Is there a way to disable these commands ?

You can disable the "User interface voice control" feature in General tab of MCE user interface.

Users running in VR may like those commands intended for driving FSX/P3D simulation settings without the need to touch the keyboard. But you can do without them.

Also i don't know much about speech recognition but why sometimes i am able to do one leg without much problems and on the return leg the FO seems to understand nothing even if it is the same plane same hardware same orders that he understood before like a charm. It happen even if i restart MCE. Any idea or advice ? It is so cool when it works well as it is frustrating when it starts to do stupid things. I even surprised myself  insulting my FO lolooool 😉

Might be to do with PTT (Push To Talk) button.

For instance, when you hold the PTT switch down, MCE will typically disable all speech commands intended for co-pilot interaction and enable those for ATC.

The opposite is supposed to happen when you release PTT.

It's not impossible that occasionally, the PTT UP signal doesn't get to MCE causing it to get locked into ATC mode where no command for FO interaction is active. In that scenario, hold PTT switch down for 2 seconds or more and release it. Do the same with <END> key if you're using that key for Vatsim transmission.

I assume you didn't setup anything under FSUIPC to simulate DEL or END keys being pressed, as that can be a factor too.

Another possible explanation.

Let's say you're using a USB headset and somehow the USB connection is unreliable.

Because MCE creates software objects to link it to the audio device which happens to be embedded on the headset (or the headset connector), the slightest disruption to the connection could cause the device to temporarily be lost to the system. As a result, all the software pointers MCE has to establish with the device are no longer valid causing either MCE app hang or speech engine going AWOL

Best to connect USB headset straight to the back of the PC to its own dedicated USB port, without sharing it with other devices, and certainly not via a USB hub.

First, need to establish contact with mechanic before you can ask him to connect GPU or open/close cargo doors.

First, use "cockpit to ground" to get his attention, then use "ground connect ground power". And don't forget to release him "ground you may disconnect", unless you're using GSX in which case he'll transfer you to GSX mechanic

Ground power is made available via simulated clicks in captain CDU

Maybe the problem comes from the fact i use the Captain MCDU windowed in monitor 2. I think MCE might then not be able to find it to make clicks on it.

I tried to use the MCDU on my IPAD but it does not work well, i have to reload pages all the time to update it.

I do believe you need a brand new speech profile, train it from scratch using our tool  (Aviation Jargon) and not overdo training after that.

Please be more specific, Do you mean i just re-run your tool, or do i have to erase somewhere the training I already did before and then re-do it ?

I can already hear the argument "it's working perfectly with the other voice control program" so why should I do that?

No you can't already hear that as I was using the other program in button mode  😉 😉 . I tried the voice mode at the beginning when they implemented it  and i had also small speech recognition problems from time to time, so I did not like it much as it did not bring more for me than the button control. You should stop to worry about "the other program" as MCE is much more powerful and customisable and is a totally different thing. Just market it the right way, especially doing some nice video tutorials and people should like it. Video tutorial might not be useful for users really ready to dig by themself or already convinced but they might be useful for making more sales from people using the trial version. I almost gave up at this stage remember ?

Might be to do with PTT (Push To Talk) button.

I disable ATC in take off and approach phase in MCE (don't want to deal with ATC not understanding me in these busy stage of flight so i just click button.)

I didn't setup a button then and I just let the FO deal with ATC in cruise, which is a very cool feature especially for long cruise and "the other program" don't have that 😉

Another possible explanation.

Let's say you're using a USB headset and somehow the USB connection is unreliable.

My headset is not USB and connect to the motherboard thru jacks, don't know if that change anything.

By the way thanks again for answering so quickly, in term of support MCE is top notch...

Please be more specific, Do you mean i just re-run your tool, or do i have to erase somewhere the training I already did before and then re-do it ?

The process involves discarding the existing speech profile, creating a new one which knows nothing about your voice, then training it from scratch using our tool.

Before you begin, if you happen to have a Realtek audio device to which your expensive headset is plugged, you may want to let Windows use its own device drivers.

Go to Windows Control Panel, ad-remove programs.

Locate Realtek high definition audio and un-install it.

Restart computer and let Windows re-detect the device and assign it its own digitally signed drivers.

After that, calibrate your microphone via Windows and don't mess with mike settings.

Now, need to create a new speech profile.

Go to Windows Control Panel and run <Speech Recognition> applet

On the left pane, select <Advanced speech Options"

Click <New> button and create a brand new speech profile. Give it a name that relates to the current headset, just in case you need to create another one later for a different headset.

The new speech profile should be listed. Select it (tick the box) to make it active.

You now have a new speech profile assigned to your user login account. Just need to train it.

Start->All Apps->Multi Crew Experience->Speech training.

Start with "ATC phraseology" topic as it helps the speech engine work out how you pronounce NATO alphabet and digits.

No need to perform more than one session per topic.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, sanookBKK said:

Download this file

Unzip and replace 2 files in \Multi Crew Experience\CandC\ folder.

Should be able to say

"set go-around altitude XXXX"

"Make go-around altitude XXXX"

"Adjust go-around altitude XXXX"

"Select go-around altitude XXXX"

...etc.

...etc

Do not use "to" before the actual altitude value as it would be interpreted as "2" as in  "set ago-around altitude 2 5000". That is "25000"

I

Edited by FS++
wrong folder path
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 6:12 PM, sanookBKK said:

I am only using TTS voices. Not so much because they sound less robotic but mainly because they offer more flexibility. Whereas there is a limited vocabulary for the recorded voices, you can make TTS voices say anything - you can even try to mimic foreign languages.

I can recommend the Cereproc voices. I think they all are good (it needs to be an english voice of course). I like William but that surely is subjective.

They go on sale from time to time, so maybe just pick one or two now and wait for a sale to get even more.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I am only using TTS voices. Not so much because they sound less robotic but mainly because they offer more flexibility. Whereas there is a limited vocabulary for the recorded voices, you can make TTS voices say anything - you can even try to mimic foreign languages.

I can recommend the Cereproc voices. I think they all are good (it needs to be an english voice of course). I like William but that surely is subjective.

They go on sale from time to time, so maybe just pick one or two now and wait for a sale to get even more.

Thank you for your feedback Ralf, i will probably try it as it sounds good on their website.

I just understood that I could install the free microsoft TTS voices. Did not have time to test it in flight yet.

By the way I installed 6 microsoft TTS voices but only 3 appear in the MCE control panel. Any idea why ?

I just understood that I could install the free microsoft TTS voices. Did not have time to test it in flight yet.

The free Microsoft TTS voices do not come close to the quality of the Cereproc voices. I tried them once - and never again.

By the way I installed 6 microsoft TTS voices but only 3 appear in the MCE control panel. Any idea why ?

MCE Will only list and eventually use 32 Bit voices. Maybe others are 64 Bit only.

16 hours ago, FS++ said:

MCE Will only list and eventually use 32 Bit voices. Maybe others are 64 Bit only.

I understand Gerald, I saw that you said that in another post about TTS Voices.

Btw I did a return flight today which was quite smooth (bad weather but good copilot understanding 😉 ) after following your advice to re-do the training....

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, sanookBKK said:

I understand Gerald, I saw that you said that in another post about TTS Voices.

Btw I did a return flight today which was quite smooth (bad weather but good copilot understanding 😉 ) after following your advice to re-do the training....

Good to hear you're making good strides.

This patch will address most of the issues you reported in the first post.

manually replace files as per their location.

Changelog

- Fo should be able to see all 2D panels when they are undocked, by the time MCE starts

- Can now request pitch trim to be set. Use these commands

"elevator trim up one decimal five units"

"pitch trim down one please"

"pitch trim plus two units"

etc..

- Added control for the rarely used weather radar switches (MultiScan, GCS, PWS and SYS). See updated document.

"radar pws to off", "radar pws off", "radar pws to auto", "radar multiscan to manual" etc...

Somehow "GCS switch only works when set to "auto".😄

- Fo now will want confirmation before accepting command to start the first engine (applies to all supported aircraft). Long overdue this one. Thanks