Sign in to follow this  
Kareem Amr

Help for good looking sim

Hey everyone ,

So I finally got my new PC for P3D , and yeah it's my first time using P3D !

But unfortunately I can't get complete my joy yet as the sim doesn't looks good at all due to flickering/shimmering all over the place due AA + poor FPS if I used SSAA with DL as well

It's an hard equation I know so I thought of no place other to go than AVSIM 😄

BTW , here is quick a look at my specs =

I5 8600k ( not overclocked )

Asus GTX 1060 OC edition

HyperX 16 GB 2400 MHz ram

my screen currently is a 1080P 60Hz TV , it's a cheap one 

so any suggestion to get some juice ? 

Try this as a start:

SETTINGS
within P3Dv4

Display:
FXAA off   
AA:  4XSSAA
texture filtering: anisotropic  8X
texture resolution: high 2048x2048
Vsync  off
Target framerate: unlimited
Wideview aspect: off
mipmap VC panels off
Screen resolution:  1920X1080

World
LOD radius:  high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution:  5m
texture resolution:  1m
high resolution terrain: on

Scenery complexity: extremely dense
autogen draw distance:  medium
autogen vegetation density: normal
autogen building density: dense
Dynamic vegetation: unticked

water detail:  medium
Reflections: user vehicle only
Special effects: medium/medium

Lighting
shadow quality:  high
draw distance: low
casting and receiving: Internal vehicle only

Dynamic lighting: off

HDR on:
Brightness 0.85
Bloom 0.05
Saturation 0.97

Dynamic reflections: off

Bert

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Try this as a start:

SETTINGS
within P3Dv4

Display:
FXAA off   
AA:  4XSSAA
texture filtering: anisotropic  8X
texture resolution: high 2048x2048
Vsync  off
Target framerate: unlimited
Wideview aspect: off
mipmap VC panels off
Screen resolution:  1920X1080

World
LOD radius:  high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution:  5m
texture resolution:  1m
high resolution terrain: on

Scenery complexity: extremely dense
autogen draw distance:  medium
autogen vegetation density: normal
autogen building density: dense
Dynamic vegetation: unticked

water detail:  medium
Reflections: user vehicle only
Special effects: medium/medium

Lighting
shadow quality:  high
draw distance: low
casting and receiving: Internal vehicle only

Dynamic lighting: off

HDR on:
Brightness 0.85
Bloom 0.05
Saturation 0.97

Dynamic reflections: off

Apparently this settings will turn off DL which will 100% improve FPS but will kinda ruin the look , so i'm trying to find some balance or a trick in order to get the best out of the sim  

Edited by Kareem Amr
missing word

If you are so keen to run your sim with DL (which is only improving looks in night time...), you have to switch to 2xMSAA max. in the night time flying. 4xSSAA or any other SSAA mode even ruins the FPS with my 1080Ti with activated DL, and your 1060 is not that fast.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 minute ago, AnkH said:

If you are so keen to run your sim with DL (which is only improving looks in night time...), you have to switch to 2xMSAA max. in the night time flying. 4xSSAA or any other SSAA mode even ruins the FPS with my 1080Ti with activated DL, and your 1060 is not that fast.

That was one of my options lately , but to be honest I just thought right now about a total different thing , like I said before I use a 32' TV display of max 1080P 60Hz ( a cheap display even )  , so what if I used another same specs or even lower inch display but with the same 1080P , would that help a little  bit ?

My experience with a 1080 GTX, which is obviously more powerful than a 1060 is this:

If you use DL, then 8 x MSAA at night but only a max of 4xSSAA in the day. You will rid yourself of shimmering ONLY at the SSAA settings.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

No, smaller displays do not help, it is the resolution that counts. Means: as long as you run 1080P, your performance (FPS) will be exactly the same, no matter if your screen is 20" or 50".

Personally, I can live well with using MSAA in night time over SSAA, as in reality, due to the different air temperatures, lights will always shimmer in the distance. So, it is basically "more real" than crisp and clear lights 20 miles away, you hardly get this in reality. But of course, that's just my personal opinion...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 hours ago, Kareem Amr said:

Apparently this settings will turn off DL which will 100% improve FPS but will kinda ruin the look , so i'm trying to find some balance or a trick in order to get the best out of the sim  

Try it, fly it.. then comment.  You want balance, I am offering balance..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bert

16 hours ago, Kareem Amr said:

Hey everyone ,

So I finally got my new PC for P3D , and yeah it's my first time using P3D !

But unfortunately I can't get complete my joy yet as the sim doesn't looks good at all due to flickering/shimmering all over the place due AA + poor FPS if I used SSAA with DL as well

It's an hard equation I know so I thought of no place other to go than AVSIM 😄

BTW , here is quick a look at my specs =

I5 8600k ( not overclocked )

Asus GTX 1060 OC edition

HyperX 16 GB 2400 MHz ram

my screen currently is a 1080P 60Hz TV , it's a cheap one 

so any suggestion to get some juice ? 

The best way to make P3D look amazing is to use PTA or Tomato shade. You also need REX soft clouds, kiwi freeware sky textures, and sun mod. You can also use a ASP4 & REX skyforce combo.

If you want to improve AA, set P3d at 4xSSAA, then use Nvidia Inspector to enhance the P3d setting with 4SGSS. You already have some good suggestions from Bert.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

12 minutes ago, DJJose said:

The best way to make P3D look amazing is to use PTA or Tomato shade. You also need REX soft clouds, kiwi freeware sky textures, and sun mod. You can also use a ASP4 & REX skyforce combo.

If you want to improve AA, set P3d at 4xSSAA, then use Nvidia Inspector to enhance the P3d setting with 4SGSS. You already have some good suggestions from Bert.

Cheers for this recommendation as hadnt heard of it... Screenshots look great after a quick search so will definitely be adding to my sim, thank you

• Like 1