Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

Sceneries/Planes Backward Compatible?

Can down-loadable scenery and planes labeled for X-Plane 11 be used in X-Plane 10? Are they backwards compatible? Thanks...

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Thanks for the reply...I have the complete X-Plane 10 with all of the scenery disks and have never installed it...Is there still a good source for sceneries and planes for Ver 10? Don't want to put out $60 if I can have fun with what I already own!...Thanks again...

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

You can try downloading any of the free scenery files at x-plane.org (note: a separate site not directly affiliated with Laminar, the developers of X-Plane).

Most of those scenery files should work okay unless, as noted above, they include new 3D objects introduced in XP11. There may be a mismatch with autogen roads here and there near airports, since XP11 uses updated OSM data to generate roads. You won't break anything by trying to load newer scenery, so it's worth a try.

Planes are different. Any of the free models at the .org that specifically say XP11 or "updated for XP11" may not work. Especially turboprops and jets, since that's where most of the engine changes were made in the move to XP11.

There are still many models at the .org that say "XP10 and XP11" where minimal work may have been done, and they may work okay. There are even plenty of models in the .org libraries that were never updated past XP9. Those should work if you load them into Planemaker and save out the .acf file, which updates the airfoils to XP10.

You should really just update to XP11 though, it's a *lot* better than XP10. 🙂

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

9 hours ago, Paraffin said:

You should really just update to XP11 though, it's a *lot* better than XP10. 🙂

exactly my thoughts, XP11 is superior to XP10 in almost every aspect, IMO. It should even run more smooth on the same hardware then XP10, there were a lot of improvements to the engine. If you don't want to spent the complete sum on it (not everybody has the same financial backup), check regularly on Steam, from time to time it is on sale there.