Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Content Errors and Program has Stopped Working

I don't understand why it is I keep getting this content error message every time I close P3D. As soon as I close the sim, I get this message:

Content errors have been detected. See the log.

A few seconds after I've closed the program, I get this message:

Prepar 3D exe has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem

1. Check online for a solution and close the program
2. Close the program

The program has not stopped working because I've already closed it, and I don't know why I'm getting this message in the first place. As a matter of fact, this problem started just after I installed the new updated version 4.3. Here's what the Problem Signature says:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name:       APPCRASH
Application Name:            Prepar3D.exe
Application Version:         4.3.29.25520
Application Timestamp:   5b2c3263
Fault Module Name:          api.dll
Fault Module Version:       4.3.29.25520
Fault Module Timestamp: 5b2c32fc
Exception Code:                c0000005
Exceotion Offset:               0000000000015594

Is this a problem with the P3D simulator or is that a Windows issue?

Edited by kmanning

I think this are two separate problems , the first one Content Erros are showing because  you have ticked in the P3D menu.Options>Application Enable Content error reporting, this are add on errors detected by P3D (developer errors ), untick and test again .

The other is an acces violation and can be caused by many things included an add on..

Jorge

13 hours ago, aeronauta said:

I think this are two separate problems , the first one Content Erros are showing because  you have ticked in the P3D menu.Options>Application Enable Content error reporting, this are add on errors detected by P3D (developer errors ), untick and test again .

The other is an acces violation and can be caused by many things included an add on..

Jorge

No, I did not ticked the Enable Content error reporting in the Options. It was apparently already ticked when it was installed. I immediately started getting these error reports just after installing some of my addons, which has never given me a problem in the past in the earlier version of 4.2. These problems did not start until I upgrade it to version 4.3. That's when the problems started. In version 4.2, I never had these problems, and I have the same addons installed in the same locations as before. It's better to leave the Enable error reporting checked. So, the source of the problem is not due to having this checked. Here's what the log says: 

[error.0]
error=Key values exist outside of a section:
 File:C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C152II\aircraft.cfg
 Key:

[error.5]
error=Key values exist outside of a section:
 File:C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C172II N\aircraft.cfg
 Key:

[error.53]
error=Duplicate Section Name
File: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Crosshairs_Plus\aircraft.cfg
Section: direction_indicators

[error.66]
error=Failed to load visual effect "fx_PMDG_NGX_navwhih"

These are the sources of getting the error report. They suggest "key values existing outside of a section," "duplicate section names," and "failed to load visual effects," which does not tell me anything. What do they mean by "key values existing outside of a section, duplicate section names, and failed to load visual effects? 

Regarding the other error, it says the api.dll caused the error. But why should that be because it was a fresh installed, and it always comes up AFTER I have already closed the program. The program closes just fine, but yet I get the error message that the program stopped working when it did not. I closed it.

Ken. 

Edited by kmanning

From the Prepar3D SDK http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php

Content Error Reporting
Overview
As a Prepar3D Solution Developer, it is essential to turn Content Error Reporting on while developing add-on content as every error or invalid implementation in content can slow down the overall program. Content errors can have a cascading effect, as in most programming, and even cause correct implementations to fail in practice. For the best results and most effective products turn Content Error Reporting on during development and fix anything that is reported.

Content Error reporting can be turned on in the General -> Simulation Settings Screen or by setting ContentErrorReporting=1 in Prepar3D.cfg's [MAIN] section. 

If this value is set to 1, errors related to content will be logged to the following file: 
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\ContentErrorLog.txt 
Examples of errors are duplicate config files or invalid property settings. Normally Prepar3D will silently handle these errors as best as possible, but developers should verify their content is not generating entries in this file. 

Edited by Bills511

I think Bill answered your question , the api.dll may be due to an addon not closing properly...

Jorge

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, Bills511 said:

From the Prepar3D SDK http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php

Content Error Reporting
Overview
As a Prepar3D Solution Developer, it is essential to turn Content Error Reporting on while developing add-on content as every error or invalid implementation in content can slow down the overall program. Content errors can have a cascading effect, as in most programming, and even cause correct implementations to fail in practice. For the best results and most effective products turn Content Error Reporting on during development and fix anything that is reported.

Content Error reporting can be turned on in the General -> Simulation Settings Screen or by setting ContentErrorReporting=1 in Prepar3D.cfg's [MAIN] section. 

If this value is set to 1, errors related to content will be logged to the following file: 
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\ContentErrorLog.txt 
Examples of errors are duplicate config files or invalid property settings. Normally Prepar3D will silently handle these errors as best as possible, but developers should verify their content is not generating entries in this file. 

I've read this regarding the Content Error Reporting but it does not discuss how to fix or correct the problem. It is too general and it does not elaborate on a lot of things, such as, what it is, how it works, or anything. Is the problem due to the developer of the addon or is it due to how the addon is installed? It's strange to me why this has NEVER come up in version 4.2 until I upgraded to version 4.3. The only explanation for this is that in version 4.2, Lockheed Martin never ticked the Content Error Reporting box by default and when they upgraded to version 4.3, they ticked that box, and therefore, I'm getting the errors. I've never ticked this box in neither version.

All it says is that it's essential to have the Content Error Reporting turned on, and that it can be turned on in the Settings, and where it's logged. It stated that for the best results and most effective product, turn on the Content Error Reporting during development and fix anything that's reported. How you fix it is not discussed! Is that for the developer or is that for us sim pilots? It is not explaining a lot of things here in detail. This information DOES NOT tell us anything except to leave the Content Error Reporting turned on and fix whatever is reported in the log.

It stated that every error or invalid implementation in content can slow down the overall program, and I've noticed that the sim is slower and takes too long to load. And it says it can cause correct implementations to fail. To the average simmer out here, or most of them, there is no understanding this because it's not laid out in layman terms. So, my question is that is this Content Error Reporting thing just for the developers and they are the one that have to fix the error reporting, or is this something that the simmer has to do? These things need to be explained in a lot more detail and in layman terms. If this is for the developer, then I have no need for it and I can just turn it off, because I'm tired of seeing this pop up every time I close the sim and I'm not getting any help with this. The programs, or addons, were installed correctly and there should have been NO errors what so ever. Or course, I did not allow my P3D sim to be installed in the default Program Folder, as that does nothing but create more issues.

Ken. 

Edited by kmanning

9 hours ago, kmanning said:

I've read this regarding the Content Error Reporting but it does not discuss how to fix or correct the problem. It is too general and it does not elaborate on a lot of things, such as, what it is, how it works, or anything. Is the problem due to the developer of the addon or is it due to how the addon is installed?

The Content Error log is aimed only at developers, not users. Either report each entry to the respective developer, or switch that logging off. You as the end user are not expected to correct those things.

9 hours ago, kmanning said:

If this is for the developer, then I have no need for it and I can just turn it off,

I don't know why you had it on in the first place. I don't think it is on by default, at least in recent versions. 

As it states in the referenced L-M discussion:

"Normally Prepar3D will silently handle these errors as best as possible, but developers should verify their content is not generating entries in this file. "

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

12 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

The Content Error log is aimed only at developers, not users. Either report each entry to the respective developer, or switch that logging off. You as the end user are not expected to correct those things.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for clearing that up for me and now I have some better understating about it. There was one issue that was reported in the log and I found that issue in the aircraft.cfg file. The one I found had to do with duplication, but I don't understand the part about the key and outside of section. If I understand them, I can just fix it myself, bust as you said, it's not for the end user to correct. Last night, I flew the PMDG 737NGX and it gave an error report as well saying: Failed to load visual effect "fx_PMDG_NGX_navwhih". Even GSX is reporting errors. This seems to suggest that the developers are not verifying their contents entries.

I don't know why you had it on in the first place. I don't think it is on by default, at least in recent versions. 

I don't know why the box was checked either, but as I said, I never checked that box because I never knew anything about it in the first place. My brother and I were discussing this and he said he had the same issue in version 4.2, and he told me to just uncheck that box.

As it states in the referenced L-M discussion:

"Normally Prepar3D will silently handle these errors as best as possible, but developers should verify their content is not generating entries in this file.

Will these content errors effect the sims performance, such as stuttering or taking longer to lead, even when the Content Error Reporting is turned off?

Ken.

Edited by kmanning

30 minutes ago, kmanning said:

Will these content errors effect the sims performance, such as stuttering or taking longer to lead, even when the Content Error Reporting is turned off?

It would all depend on the nature of the error, and regardless if the reporting is turned on or not.

6 hours ago, kmanning said:

Even GSX is reporting errors. This seems to suggest that the developers are not verifying their contents entries.

I guess you are referring to the errors about textures missing in the Catering vehicle. Well, they surely aren't missing, and they show up just fine, we couldn't understand the meaning of this error, all textures are in their correct place, and they work (the catering would appear all black if they were *really* missing).

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:28 AM, virtuali said:

I guess you are referring to the errors about textures missing in the Catering vehicle. Well, they surely aren't missing, and they show up just fine, we couldn't understand the meaning of this error, all textures are in their correct place, and they work (the catering would appear all black if they were *really* missing).

Hi Umberto,

Yes, that's what I was thinking. And here's the strange part: I never did use the catering service but yet, it shows up in the content error report. But everything was working fine and there were no missing textures on the services I was using. The services I used were the boarding, the jetway, and the pushback. Here's what showed up in the error report regarding the GSX:

error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.86]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.87]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.88]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.89]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.90]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.91]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.92]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.93]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.94]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.95]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.96]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.97]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.98]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.99]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.100]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.101]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.102]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.103]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.104]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.105]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.106]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.107]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.108]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.109]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.110]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_SP.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)[error.111]
error=Texture GSX_CATERING_1_LM.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

Of course, the GSX is not the only one giving error reports. It's the PMDG, the Cessna 152 and 172 by Carinado, and a few others, and I did not see anything wrong and everything was working. So now, it seems that all this stuff about Content Error Reporting is new to everyone, even the developers, and no one from LM has provided any information as to the meaning of these errors and how to fix them. So the questions are why is the Content Error Reporting these errors even though the textures are showing up just fine? Why is the PMDG reporting fx effects errors when there are no issues regarding the effects? I did turn off the so called head Movement because it's not realistic to me and makes it that much harder to keep the mouse curser on the item you want to click or turn. Could that be the reason for the fx effects error repot? Will turning things on or off, or ticking or unticking boxes in the Options/Applications menu give or cause content error reports

Ken.

Edited by kmanning