Sign in to follow this  
AspenTCL

Class B or C departure without flight following

Hi, Dave

I am a new customer and just brought your product and it has been performing very well. Thank you.

Have a quick question: How do I do a Class B/C to Class B/C VFR flight without flight following? The way I am doing it now is filing a VFR flight plan, then contact delivery to copy the VFR clearance. But then clearance will assign me to depart with flight following. What is the correct way to request for the VFR flight? I want the approach to tell me to squawk VFR and just send me away. Thanks.

Airspace awareness for VFR flights is on the list of future enhancements.

For now, you could cancel IFR when you exit the airspace and ATC will tell you to squawk VFR and send you away.  

Dave

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Airspace awareness for VFR flights is on the list of future enhancements.

For now, you could cancel IFR when you exit the airspace and ATC will tell you to squawk VFR and send you away.  

Dave

Great. Thanks Dave. Having airspace awareness will be a great feature for the software. Is that something you already started working on or something in the more longer term plan?

There is no schedule for it at the moment.  It's a fairly major undertaking, so it is not something that will happen in the short term.

Dave

Jumping on this old thread as it is related and has some overlap.  I want to fly a Baron 58 from London City airport (Category A) which will then change to VFR when clear of relevant airspace.

What is the best way of doing this?  I could, I think, file an IFR flight plan leaving EGLC in the right direction and then cancel IFR at the appropriate time.  I could I think then fly un-ATC'd until approaching the airfield I was going to, where I could talk to Approach.

My first question was, can I request flight following whilst in the air?  (after cancelling IFR?)

Secondly, can I use VFR flight following as a valid way of leaving EGLC rather than filing an IFR flight plan, instead going the whole way VFR with flight following?

Thanks.

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

If you file a VFR flight plan and call for VFR clearance, ATC will automatically give you VFR flight following all  the way.

You can also takeoff VFR without calling for clearance and Tower will release you to change frequency when you hit the Tower control limit.  Then, when you like, you can verbally request VFR Flight Following from the nearest Center controller...or just fly to your destination and as you approach, contact the Destination Tower for pattern entry - See SayIt Phrases - or contact Approach Control for an IFR approach or vectors to a visual straight-in.

There are many scenarios supported,  these are probably the most common.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  So you can request flight following whilst in flight using Pilot2ATC?  That's good to know.

I'm still on the trial license but it does seem very impressive.  I was on a flight the other day, ATC assigned me a STAR.  I messed it up and ATC gave me vectors to get me back on track again (several times).  Nice.

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.