Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

The Cost of flying in P3D - relative worth

18 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Whatever that is, you'll probably discover that there are expensive top-tier choices to lust for there as well...like a $900 Orvis Helios graphite fly rod, or a $2800 Gibson Les Paul, or a $3000 15" Powermatic bandsaw, or a $15,000 Bernina 880 Plus sewing machine, or a $100,000 Ranger Z521 bass boat, or...

Current price for 100LL at the Signature at my home base is $5.80 gal... that means the fuel cost alone for the C-414 is $220.40/hr so just buying gas for the six hour trip to Las Vegas is going to make this hobby sound cheap in comparison.  In fact, in retirement  this hobby is really my only option...., unless that trip to Vegas payed out but the odds of that are pretty slim.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

6 minutes ago, w6kd said:

To do it right entails a huge time commitment, not only for the development and testing, but for customer support and marketing.  The first time you take money for your work, your clientele becomes legitimately entitled to some of your attentions, and a very loud and unreasonable minority also feels entitled to your time and energy far beyond what that which you ever offered in the first place.  I dare say that there are a fair number of people out there that could build some really cool things for our simulated world but never will because they are not about to make themselves targets in an online shooting gallery full of anonymous idiots full of internet courage.  I fully understand that sentiment.

You would be surprised of how much of this you get even with "FREEWARE" these days, just a couple of days ago I wasted 1 hour of my limited development time giving support via email to a user who refused to give me the full information of his problem, at the end he threatened me with not recommending my products on his channel and told me that as a developer I should get used to these things..., at the end I finally managed to extract what the issue was and I offered two solutions, it has been 3 days since then and I am still waiting to know what he wants to do..

This is the world that we live in I suppose, but I would like the community to start understanding that developers are mere mortals as much as anybody else and as such we deserve the same respect and treatment like anybody else.

After all if you buy a TV and you have problem with it, you cannot expect the shop were you bought it from to be very helpful if you arrive yelling and smashing thing inside the shop without explaining to it's staff in a calm manner what is the issue as otherwise the police will be called upon you.

And yes, I know some developers give very bad support, I am also a customer of lot's of add-on's so I have also experienced such things.. but before you smash any developer out there, think first, read your email or post twice and ask yourselves:

• Am I being as clear as posible of what my problem, issue or request is? is there anything else I should include? what else I can do to help the developer to find the problem quickly?
  • Am I being respectful? or does these words sound rude or offensive? is there a better way to express my frustration without being rude or disrespecfull?

Following just these two steps I guarantee you that you will receive a much better and positive response from any developer out there.. at least from the ones that are providing a good service of course.

All the best,
Simbol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, w6kd said:

was once one of those freeware guys (my biggest project was the FS9/FSX Tinmouse 737)

You were Tinmouse Bob??  I LOVED that aircraft.