Sign in to follow this  
mrcaveman

Computer crashes after unziping FS9 aircraft

Hi everyone,I decided to post this question to see if anyone else may have had the same problem. Some of the orginal aircraft I have download crash my system after they have been unziped. This does not happen every time but only on some files. Here is what happens.Today I downloaded the file dc9_md87_sas etc. Once I got off the internet I used the unzip program that came with XP ser pack 2, and unziped the file. No problems at this point. Then I opened the folder to view the contents. When I openned the Docs folder my computer crashed. I got the message that a error had occured and do I want to send MS a report. This is not the first time this has happened. It seems some of the aircraft files are not unziping correctly or something. Any help would be great.ASUS P4C-800-E deluxe1 gig memATI radeon 9800cabe bb

It doesn't sound like your computer is crashing, but rather that the built in zip function can't handle some of the zip formats being used. The function blows up and wants to send an error report to MS closes the function and everything else keeps on running. I suggest you get a demo download of WinZip at www.winzip.com and try that - if it works well, then send them the money to register the program.DJ

First, thank you for your reply.I did as you suggested and installed winzip which I used many years ago. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. The very same thing is still happening. Can't fiqure it, unless my files are getting corupted during the download. Not sure how I can check this out. I will download this last program and try again. Thanks again for your suggestion.KSPI

1). You might try WinRar, but I don't think this is the issue: my first thought would be that you might have some corruption of the registry - it's not uncommon, and is easy to fix: Google for "RegHealer" and/or "RegClean".

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

If you used WinZip 10 and had the same problem, then it probably wasn't a format problem (WinZip 10 can use a very high compression zip format that isn't compatible with earlier versions) and might well have been a corrupted file although the application will rarely crash in that case. Keep us posted...DJ

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello,Sorry to hear about your troubles. Since you have tried WinZip and are still having trouble with compressed files I think this might either be a hardware problem or corrupted installation of the Operating System(as PaulJ mentioned, perhaps with the system registry although it could be witn/in some other aspect of it).I recommend the first thing you do is run a chkdsk.Start --> Run --> type in... chkdsk /f /r ... press Enter and then reboot when prompted.This is just to try and make sure it's not a filesystem corruption problem.Now I think I should state that manipulating compressed files of any type requires stable RAM that is free of errors. My biggest recommendation of all to you is to go and download memtest86, available for free at www.memtest.org and take the steps to install and run it. If memtest reports any error(s) right away or after letting it run through a couple batches of it series of tests then you know you've got a bad stick(or sticks) of RAM. Otherwise, to be certain there isn't a problem with your RAM you should let it run for several hours, perhaps even overnight.Those are just some troubleshooting recommendations. Naturally, there could be quite a number of other possible reasons for the problem you are having. Such as it's some really bizzare permission problem, you just need to reinstall you OS, your Power Supply Unit isn't providing enough juice to your system, your system is having issues with heat, or it could even be that some component on your system is starting to go on the fritz and you are just starting to see the first symptoms of it. Anyway...Hope that helps,OneTinSoldier

Update on problem:Let me say I should have given more info on what actions I took to resolve the problem. My register is clean as a whistle. I use memtest every now and then. I set up my system to run scandisk/checkdisk each time before I do any defraging. Please excuse me for not providing this imformation from the get go. Here is where I stand now.I did download Winzip and had the same problem. However, when the results were the same I decided to remove the winzip program an un-associate the files and go back to the orginal unzip program which is in the windows xp operating system. I read somewhere it is actually winzip anyway. I tried to unzip the same file which caused the problem but this time all went well. Can't fiqure it. If I have anymore problems I will post again. Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to reply.KSPI