Sign in to follow this  
Alessandrov81

Win 10 CPU usage and interrupts

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,


I had to format the SSD and with the occasion I installed windows 10 (I had win7). After having made all the updates and installed the drivers as well as P3D and related addons I immediately noticed very poor performance then fps around 10 (regardless of the settings...) when I was used to see almost always above 30 fps (orbx scenarios) but also 40-50 in many occasions. Setting the affinity mask to exclude the core 0 (which I did not do before) the situation improves but we are still around 20-25 non-stable FPS and therefore about 10 FPS below. What's worrying is that looking at the use of the CPU on the task manager, I note that although the CPU is constantly maxed to 100% (even with AM), P3D actually uses only 60% with the remaining 40% divided between the system IDLE and interrupt (around 10-20%) ... I tried various solutions (check drivers on device management, disable services, reinstall mobo drivers and GPU etc) but nothing helped ... I was wondering if anyone has passed from this issues and if i'm missing something.

The pc is OC just the same that win7 version:
I7 4790K 4,7ghz (HT on, as I also had on WIN7)
GTX 970 1400mhz 4 gb vram
RAM 12 gb 1800mhz
SSD

the p3d graphics settings and cfg are the same even if I think Fiber frame fraction does not seem to work on win10 (while it worked optimally on win7)

The thing that makes me think is that GPU usage has gone from about 60-80% on win 7 to 20-30% on win 10... which makes me think that the bottleneck of the cpu is much much greater.

thanks for the help you'll give me I'm going crazy...! I'm seriously thinking of going back to win7 problematic thing in the long run for its non-update

 

edit the most important thing I would like to know is if it is normal that the CPU usage of p3d is only 60% with cpu usage maxed (no other significant processes running) and otherwise what could be the problem ... thanks again

Edited by Alessandrov81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, don't forget that W7 is not the same as W10, so you can't treat it as such. Try running without any tweaks (HT and fiber frame). Remember, most of those things were developed for much weaker computers. Try different setting for everything ( including OC), not just the same ones you used in W7. It has always been the case that you can't have too much ram. I know someone who does music composition that has 96 GB of ram. Sometimes it's hard to find good drivers for W10, so keep at it. W10 has a gaming mode setting. I don't know how much good it does, but you might try it.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2018 at 4:37 AM, Alessandrov81 said:

Hello Everyone,


I had to format the SSD and with the occasion I installed windows 10 (I had win7). After having made all the updates and installed the drivers as well as P3D and related addons I immediately noticed very poor performance then fps around 10 (regardless of the settings...) when I was used to see almost always above 30 fps (orbx scenarios) but also 40-50 in many occasions. Setting the affinity mask to exclude the core 0 (which I did not do before) the situation improves but we are still around 20-25 non-stable FPS and therefore about 10 FPS below. What's worrying is that looking at the use of the CPU on the task manager, I note that although the CPU is constantly maxed to 100% (even with AM), P3D actually uses only 60% with the remaining 40% divided between the system IDLE and interrupt (around 10-20%) ... I tried various solutions (check drivers on device management, disable services, reinstall mobo drivers and GPU etc) but nothing helped ... I was wondering if anyone has passed from this issues and if i'm missing something.

The pc is OC just the same that win7 version:
I7 4790K 4,7ghz (HT on, as I also had on WIN7)
GTX 970 1400mhz 4 gb vram
RAM 12 gb 1800mhz
SSD

the p3d graphics settings and cfg are the same even if I think Fiber frame fraction does not seem to work on win10 (while it worked optimally on win7)

The thing that makes me think is that GPU usage has gone from about 60-80% on win 7 to 20-30% on win 10... which makes me think that the bottleneck of the cpu is much much greater.

thanks for the help you'll give me I'm going crazy...! I'm seriously thinking of going back to win7 problematic thing in the long run for its non-update

 

edit the most important thing I would like to know is if it is normal that the CPU usage of p3d is only 60% with cpu usage maxed (no other significant processes running) and otherwise what could be the problem ... thanks again

Win 10 was preinstalled on my system, I have not tweaked it other than disabling auto updates, I allow them to prompt only.  I have always received much better performance and the only thing I tone down in P3D is antialiasing a tad.  I have Nvidia inspector but no tweaks there.  Your system is much more powerful than mine except for the GPU--it should run rings around my system.  So possibly the GPU is the bottleneck.  I have one GB less VRAM.  My gpu was bundled with my MSI vortex, a lower end system but well within P3D specs according to the salesman who sold it to me.  Xplane11 also runs very well on my system, so does Trainsim 2019 and No Limits Coaster Sim.  The Valley Benchmark fluctuates between 70 and 110 fps.  It is a good benchmark to use to test for bottlenecks in your system and uses the gpu a lot.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this