Sign in to follow this  
Lucas777

Home-made aircraft transponder receiver

Hey guys,

Have anyone here built something like this?

I'm trying to figure what is the cheapest and still usable hardware you would need for this purpose.

Anyways, I would love to read your experiences, thanks in advance!

28 minutes ago, Lucas777 said:

Hey guys,

Have anyone here built something like this?

I'm trying to figure what is the cheapest and still usable hardware you would need for this purpose.

Anyways, I would love to read your experiences, thanks in advance!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I believe aircraft transponders have to be certified regularly, so I do not know if a homemade transponder would pass muster.  I used to shop around for light sport aircraft and since I live in restricted airspace and those aircraft had engine driven electrical systems, a transponder was necessary.  Unfortunately a lot of experimental light sport aircraft do not have transponders.  Squawk 6521 over? 😊

John

Edited by Cactus521

John, that is not a "transponder" at all. It is simply an ADS receiver to allow anyone to see the signals transmitted by aircraft within range of the user's antennas. It is not intended for use by real pilots as part of their MEL.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

These are a large part of the www.flightradar24.com system. If you set one up in your location you can contact them and they may consider using your received data.  I set one up using only a Dongle from Ebay for my own use, and it worked great. I followed an online tutorial to make a suitable antenna. It all cost peanuts.  There are apps available to enable you to use it on a map on your mobile smartphone and free software for your PC..

Edited by aerostar

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png