Sign in to follow this  
hrhett01

Best configuration for Oculus performance

All,

I have P3Dv4 running with an 8Gb GTX1070 . When running P3d through my monitor with live traffic, scenery add-ons, AS weather and 3rd party aircraft I get pretty good frame performance. Using my Rift, it typically drops 10-20% +/-. Is there anyone who sims and has a configuration using the Rift where you get consistently better performance in the say 20+ FPS area?

I've been thinking about adding a second graphics card and converting my system to SLI graphics. Any of you have any positive or negative experiences either way?

Thanks,
Howard

Howard Rhett

P3Dv4 & v5 | Windows 10 64-bit Home | 32Gb RAM | i9-9900k @ 3.60Ghz | Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | Cirrus yoke | CH Pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | Oculus Rift S| 500Gb SSD OS | 5Tb HDD

Have you tried "fly Inside" VR program. I have read that VR simmers report that it give better FPS then the native VR.   I believe there is a trail version you can try if your interested.  Be warned, if you install it, it most likely will break P3dv4's native VR (it did for me). You will need to run the  repair for the client part of P3dv4 to get it back.  I'm using a Vive Pro with a GTX 1080 and with FlyInside, I get around 30 fps in p3d and 90 in the VIVE for the most part. (Fly Inside doing its magic). 

I am new to VR, and I'm blown away with it. Even though its not as clear as my 4k monitor is, the emersion is incredible and makes up for it. I feel like am actually sitting in the cockpit. I find it very hard to fly now with out VR. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

8 hours ago, hrhett01 said:

All,

I have P3Dv4 running with an 8Gb GTX1070 . When running P3d through my monitor with live traffic, scenery add-ons, AS weather and 3rd party aircraft I get pretty good frame performance. Using my Rift, it typically drops 10-20% +/-. Is there anyone who sims and has a configuration using the Rift where you get consistently better performance in the say 20+ FPS area?

I've been thinking about adding a second graphics card and converting my system to SLI graphics. Any of you have any positive or negative experiences either way?

Thanks,
Howard

This is probably quite normal, my sim goes from 50 to 25 or even 20fps using the Oculus Rift in native VR, even more when using te stereo mode, it taxes the GPU hard. That is with the newest hardware available, but still using the 1080, which is probably not enough.

As far as I know, SLI doesnt work with VR:

Edited by Chandler
  • Like 1

Intel Core i9-9900K - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Z390 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3  -2x1TB Samsung 970 PRO - 1000W Corsair HXi Platinum Series  - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 

Rick,

I started with fly-inside but switched to P3D when they made it available native and they fixed some of the bugs that were inhibitors to its use. Maybe its time to try FI again, I'll download the latest release (hopefully there's some performance improvements).

Howard

Howard Rhett

P3Dv4 & v5 | Windows 10 64-bit Home | 32Gb RAM | i9-9900k @ 3.60Ghz | Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | Cirrus yoke | CH Pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | Oculus Rift S| 500Gb SSD OS | 5Tb HDD