Sign in to follow this  
JRBarrett

RMI bug

I don’t know if this bug has always been present in the Falcon. I just spotted it tonight while flying Beta 3.4 in P3D 4.3

I noticed that when an ILS is tuned on either NAV 1 or NAV 2, the associated RMI needle turns to point at the physical location of the localizer transmitter. This is impossible, because a localizer signal (unlike a VOR) contains no phase modulation which would permit the RMI to resolve a bearing to it.

An RMI needle will usually rotate to its normal “no signal” position (typically 90 degrees) when a localizer is tuned.

If others are not seeing this, then perhaps it is related to the installation of the RXP GTN750, which I just purchased today. 

Jim Barrett

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

44 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

I don’t know if this bug has always been present in the Falcon. I just spotted it tonight while flying Beta 3.4 in P3D 4.3

I noticed that when an ILS is tuned on either NAV 1 or NAV 2, the associated RMI needle turns to point at the physical location of the localizer transmitter. This is impossible, because a localizer signal (unlike a VOR) contains no phase modulation which would permit the RMI to resolve a bearing to it.

An RMI needle will usually rotate to its normal “no signal” position (typically 90 degrees) when a localizer is tuned.

If others are not seeing this, then perhaps it is related to the installation of the RXP GTN750, which I just purchased today. 

Jim Barrett

Jim,

As I recall this has been a long standing bug in the sim(s) themselves.  For example, try setting Nav2 to a localizer in the default Baron 58 and note the RMI needle.

Al

Edited by ark

1 hour ago, JRBarrett said:

Jim Barrett

Good choice on the RXP GTN750.

7 hours ago, ark said:

Jim,

As I recall this has been a long standing bug in the sim(s) themselves.  For example, try setting Nav2 to a localizer in the default Baron 58 and note the RMI needle.

Al

I’ll give that a try! I’m sure real world pilots would like it if an RMI could point to a localizer. It would make the process of setting up an ILS intercept easier - especially in an aircraft without a GPS or FMS-driven moving map.