Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Falcon317

GTN 750 and Garmin update process

Recommended Posts

I am new to the GTN 750 and have a basic question about the update process.  I have searched the forum and can't find a direct answer, I apologize if I missed it and am creating duplicate posts.

When I check for updates from inside XPlane 11 via the plugin, does it automatically update both the GTN 750 and the Garmin trainer during the process?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

when you do 'check updates....' in sim, what does it say? Then does it offer to download something? And if so, what is downloaded and where?

  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

when you do 'check updates....' in sim, what does it say? Then does it offer to download something? And if so, what is downloaded and where?

Honestly, I have not tried it yet.  I was looking to understand the process in advance and confirm that both the RealityXP 750 and Garmin Trainer will be updated in the same process.  I am currently running 750 version 2.5.7 and Garmin Trainer 6.50.  Normally, what should happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best answer is: just try it!

It basically sums up to: it tells you whether there is a new version, it should download the updated installer upon confirming, you then manually run the downloaded installer. It is no different than manually downloading the latest e-commerce installer from our website.

  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RXP said:

The best answer is: just try it!

It basically sums up to: it tells you whether there is a new version, it should download the updated installer upon confirming, you then manually run the downloaded installer. It is no different than manually downloading the latest e-commerce installer from our website.

Okay I will give it a try.  But can you confirm one point please.  When I run the downloaded installer will it also update the Garmin Trainer if needed, as well as the RXP GTN 750, or do I have to update the Garmin Trainer in a separate process?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

The installer auto-detects both the trainer you've already installed and whether there is a new Garmin trainer available, then it will give your best-advise depending on the situation.


Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jean-Luc,

 

How do I know the version number of both the trainer and the GTN I have installed?

Thanks.

 


Alvega

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alvega,

You might want to just ignore wondering: the installer always installs the latest!

Otherwise, I'd guess running the trainer standalone there must be some sort of "about" with a version number, otherwise, Windows 'uninstall programs' should tell which version is installed.

Our e-commerce installers always show, right below the short description, what their version is and which trainer version they support.

 


Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi Alvega,

You might want to just ignore wondering: the installer always installs the latest!

Otherwise, I'd guess running the trainer standalone there must be some sort of "about" with a version number, otherwise, Windows 'uninstall programs' should tell which version is installed.

Our e-commerce installers always show, right below the short description, what their version is and which trainer version they support.

 

 

I checked and I have trainer 6.21 and GTN 2.5.2.1. Can I just update the GTN using the X-Plane menu or do I need to update the trainer also?

Thanks.

 

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GTN plugin is compatible with trainers v6.21, 6.40, 6.40.1, 6.50 and 6.50.1

I'd strongly suggest updating the trainer because of it's additional capabilities, the VNAV mode, the latest DB (airac 1803) among other things. Last but not least, 6.21 and the others afterward install side-by-side, and you can always use our plugin environment variables to override our plugin from using the most recent trainer and use the older 6.21 instead!


Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RXP said:

The GTN plugin is compatible with trainers v6.21, 6.40, 6.40.1, 6.50 and 6.50.1

I'd strongly suggest updating the trainer because of it's additional capabilities, the VNAV mode, the latest DB (airac 1803) among other things. Last but not least, 6.21 and the others afterward install side-by-side, and you can always use our plugin environment variables to override our plugin from using the most recent trainer and use the older 6.21 instead!

 

Thanks Jean-Luc, all updated and working.

Cheers.

 

  • Like 1

Alvega

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone, I hope everyone is well.  I am new to this and ask for assistance.  I have c172 with both 750s installed on plane but can't turn on power and no sound.  When I reload plane the engine runs but no sound.  I have ver 2.5.9 installed and when I click update for 2.5.10 I get a file pop up to save it.  I install it but no update?  Help please, Jerome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jeromep said:

when I click update for 2.5.10 I get a file pop up to save it.  I install it but no update? 

Hi,

Once the file saves to disk, it is a compressed .zip file you'd just have to unzip (double click usually) in order to get both updated e-commerce installers (750/650). You then run the e-commerce installer(s) according to the product you are updating using the 'REINSTALL" method documented in our store FAQ:

http://reality-xp.com/store/faq.html

How do I reinstall my software


Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    18%
    $4,710.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...