Sign in to follow this  
fautleyj

Yaw Damper Problem

Hi Folks, do you know what do I need to do to get the Yaw damper to register ON/OFF, when I select it, it says OFF all the time

Thanks

John

Try 'Yaw Damper (on/off) - keystroke CTRL-D, the hover over corresponding Autopilot button to check if affected.

I've noticed that if you don't activate the YD right after takeoff, it will not activate.

I also used FSUIPC to map a button for it on my throttle quadrant

Carenado persistently forces the Yaw Damper off in the initialization file. This is probably due to early complains about losing some rudder control during takeoff and landings if the YD was on. So it is forced OFF, and a dummy variable introduced to appear as it is working.

The simpler solution is , YD is OFF when on ground and below 300' AGL. You can manually connect and disconnect it and will definitely notice the difference when the YD disconnects on final. PM me if you need help with this change.

• Like 1

Regards,

Jorge

i9 10900KF 5.3 \ ASUS Maximus Hero XII \ GigaByte RTX 2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3200MHZ \ ASUS ROG 34" UHD monitor\
Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVME 500GB C Drive \ 4 - 1TB Samsung 860 EVO \ Windows 10 PRO v2004 \ P3DV4.5 \ P3DV5 \ MSFS 2020 PD Ed. \
Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder 1600M FCS \ Saitek Pro PZ45 Throttle Quadrant \ Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

The reason for the YD dummy switch is that the FDE has been designed with the YD being on.

Enabling the YD e.g. increases yaw stability too much and prevents correct action in case of an engine failure. 

Turn coordination is also not satisfactory with the FSX/P3D YD simulation.